Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 22 2009, 02:46 AM   #31
Witterquick
Captain

Re: Moon Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

Why is this film only shown in a handful of cinemas? I had to go to some arthouse to watch it. Will it have a wide release later?

I like the film but I'm not sure about the unresolved story. It left me feeling vaguely dissatisfied. I would love to have found out what happened to Sam.

When Eve came on, I thought she was a granddaughter or even great granddaughter. I like that the film doesn't follow some common scifi conventions though, like having an evil HAL (we got a very loveable GERTY instead) or having these clones about for much longer than 12 years like I thought at first.

The interactions between the two Sams were great too. Overall an enjoyable film but not one of the greats to me.
Witterquick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2009, 03:04 AM   #32
Witterquick
Captain

Ryan wrote: View Post
I agree the reason for using clones isn't well developed. I think it was ultimately a suspension of disbelief issue; I just accepted that for whatever reason it was cheaper for the corporation to use a single, disposable person than a paid crew. Who nows, maybe Sam wasn't even dying because he was a clone. Maybe it's a side effect of long-term habitation on the moon (solar flares?) or the helium-3 mining.
That's a good point. I was wondering why the corporation wouldn't act like a normal corporation and hire a crew of people to work on the moon instead of having a lone person and subject him to the mental distress of being all alone for an extended time.
Witterquick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2009, 09:26 PM   #33
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Saw it yesterday

Who was that woman Sam kept seeing? Once in the "canteen" area, and once before he crashed the moon buggy?
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2009, 05:36 PM   #34
Luckyflux
Fleet Captain

Unexplained visions of his daughter. They were used to get Sam to crash the vehicle.

Great explanation about Gerty's programming. Is that why Gerty gave him the password to see the past log entries? To protect his mental health?

Also didn't really get that the other clones were vaporized. I saw the dirt collection under the bay, but I never made the connection.

I liked the details of the movie, I bet the more times you watch it the more undercover things you'll find. In one shot an expression was shown that said something like Abstinence is great, but only if practiced in moderation. I thought that was funny.
Old July 23 2009, 08:51 PM   #35
Rackon
Commander

Luckyflux wrote: View Post
Unexplained visions of his daughter. They were used to get Sam to crash the vehicle.

Great explanation about Gerty's programming. Is that why Gerty gave him the password to see the past log entries? To protect his mental health?

Also didn't really get that the other clones were vaporized. I saw the dirt collection under the bay, but I never made the connection.

I liked the details of the movie, I bet the more times you watch it the more undercover things you'll find. In one shot an expression was shown that said something like Abstinence is great, but only if practiced in moderation. I thought that was funny.
The log scenes showed previous (debilitated) clones getting into capsules "to go home". Capsule closses and is sealed. White mist enters capsule. End of entry.

I assumed it was "euthaization" and disposal of some sort. The clones are dying.
Rackon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2009, 10:51 PM   #36
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Anyone notice the girl playing his daughter was Effy from Skins
Not an overly massive fan of the show, but seen a few eps to catch it
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2009, 01:32 AM   #37
timelord1010
Captain

Anyone know when Moon is coming out on DVD/Blueray? It didn't play anywhere near where I live...
timelord1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2009, 01:53 AM   #38
Neopeius
Admiral

Disappointing movie. People are too expensive to train and import, but the second a clone has a problem, they send *three* dudes to handle it? Just lying around, I guess.

And they didn't make just one clone. Not five clones. Dozens, perhaps hundreds of clones. I guess they got a discount for quantity.

And clones that spring fully grown from a clipping complete with memory? Those went out of serious science fiction in the 70s.

http://galacticjourney.org/
Neopeius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2009, 04:51 AM   #39
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

^ They mentioned that the rescue team was being diverted from another assignment... but I don't recall the details.

Ryan wrote: View Post
Who knows, maybe Sam wasn't even dying because he was a clone. Maybe it's a side effect of long-term habitation on the moon (solar flares?) or the helium-3 mining.
This is probably the best explanation I've seen. If the helium-3 mining causes certain death within three years, then the elaborate clone operation makes a lot more sense.

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed the flick. Rockwell gave a great performance(s). I was thrilled that GERTY didn't go crazy and try to kill anyone.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2009, 05:06 AM   #40
Ward Fowler
Commodore

Neopeius wrote: View Post
Disappointing movie. People are too expensive to train and import, but the second a clone has a problem, they send *three* dudes to handle it? Just lying around, I guess.
They sent them out more for the harvester than the clone problem. That should make good economic sense to you.
Old July 30 2009, 09:17 PM   #41
Base_Delta_Zero
Commodore

Helium-3 isn't radioactive, so my guess is three years is the built-in lifespan of the clones. And the "return capsule" was an incinerator. The gas seen after the flash was vaporized Sam.

Regarding the corporate plot: Perhaps the story to the public was that Sam Prime would go to the Moon and establish the final stage of what would become a fully automated mining operation, but it was actually cheaper/easier to use some new cloning process to supply the administrative workforce instead of designing a mobile Gerty that could do it or relying on training up a new astronaut every three years. Sam Prime comes home a hero and no one expects any other astronauts to come back from the Moon because they're told its now fully automated.

Whatever the answer, I didn't find the question so problematic I couldn't enjoy the film. I loved it, actually. Sam Rockwell deserves a couple lunar tons of awards. Gerty was great, especially his emoticons, and the art design overall was well done. Felt like a lived-in universe, like Alien.

Maybe Lunar Industries is a subsidiary of Wayland Yutani Corp.
Base_Delta_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2009, 10:03 PM   #42
Lapis Exilis
Rear Admiral

Base_Delta_Zero wrote: View Post
Helium-3 isn't radioactive, so my guess is three years is the built-in lifespan of the clones.
Helium-3 may not be radioactive, but the technology to harvest it is unclear at best. Health hazards from exposure to the process or harvesters could be issues. We never see Sam Bell, only hear his voice. We've no idea what shape he was in. (I was just thinking if exposure killed the clones in three years, some damage must have been done to Sam Bell...)
Old July 30 2009, 10:17 PM   #43
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

It was a great film, despite the questionable nature of the premise.

Level 2 Diagnostic wrote:
Did anyone notice that the gravity throughout the movie was pretty much the same as earth's? The only times there were any signs of the moon's lesser gravity was when Sam went outside.
Yep, although I understand the reasons Jones couldn't do lunar gravity for the entire film. Sam-x is going to be messed up on Earth, too. Three years--really, his entire lifetime--he's been in 1/6 gravity. I doubt he could stand up.

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2009, 06:56 AM   #44
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Like a lot of sci-fi you just have to accept the premise. It's no more unbelievable than Silent Running's putting forests in space, for instance. You just accept that for whatever reasons, this is how the company does business. If you can't buy the situation the movie is just not going to work for you.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2009, 07:06 AM   #45
Hermiod
Admiral

Myasishchev wrote: View Post
It was a great film, despite the questionable nature of the premise.

Level 2 Diagnostic wrote:
Did anyone notice that the gravity throughout the movie was pretty much the same as earth's? The only times there were any signs of the moon's lesser gravity was when Sam went outside.
Yep, although I understand the reasons Jones couldn't do lunar gravity for the entire film. Sam-x is going to be messed up on Earth, too. Three years--really, his entire lifetime--he's been in 1/6 gravity. I doubt he could stand up.
In 2061: Odyssey Three, Heywood Floyd has an accident that causes a severe back injury and requires him to be sent to a medical facility on an orbital station. The station has 1/6 gravity which, by the time he heals, he adapts to and can no longer function in normal gravity.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote