Two Trek Actors In Green Room
By: T'Bonz on Oct 30

Trek UglyDolls First Look
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

New Star Trek Select Action Figure

Trek Actors In Elsa & Fred

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

View Poll Results: Which is your favorite look for Ben Sisko?
hair on scalp, not on face 6 7.32%
hair on scalp and face 6 7.32%
hair on face, not on scalp 70 85.37%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 22 2009, 09:28 PM   #46
Odo's_Bucket
Commander

Re: Ben Sisko’s hair

DiSiLLUSiON wrote: View Post
Odo's_Bucket wrote: View Post
You lie. "the military usually lets haircuts be as you like" is clearly in your post.
I do not lie, since I said "the military". As in, "the military in my country". I'm not based in the US, as the text besides my posts clearly state.

The rest is all semantics. I don't think Starfleet is military, but that is a different discussion. We've seen examples of haircut regulations being enforced, and we've seen examples of it being overlooked. That does not mean I need to "pay more attention".

In essense; my point is this: We've seen all sorts of crazy hairstyles on Star Trek; nothing bland about them at all. If they were, you'd have a point. But they aren't, they are often strange.
I'm not the one who said they were bland. So that isn't my point to make. I said that it wasn't suprising to see bland or conformist hairstyles on Star Trek.

And claiming you didn't say what you actually said is considered lying.
Old July 22 2009, 09:37 PM   #47
DiSiLLUSiON
Commodore

There you go again; re-read my post. I said exactly what I said, which was "the military" and, after that I said "not every military is the same". You said it yourself. And, seeing as I'm not from the US, I was clearly not talking about the US military. I could have been more clear on the point, by describing it differently, but I thought you'd understand that.
DiSiLLUSiON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2009, 09:46 PM   #48
Odo's_Bucket
Commander

There you go again; re-read my post. I said exactly what I said, which was "the military" and, after that I said "not every military is the same". You said it yourself. And, seeing as I'm not from the US, I was clearly not talking about the US military. I could have been more clear on the point, by describing it differently, but I thought you'd understand that.

I think you're actually trying to convince yourself.
Old July 23 2009, 02:21 AM   #49
Red Ranger
Admiral

I'm in the minority -- I like him better with hair on his head and with a beard. -- RR

"I would make this war as severe as possible, and show no symptoms of tiring till the South begs for mercy." -- William Tecumseh Sherman
Red Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2009, 02:33 AM   #50
Captain Fine
Fleet Captain

View Captain Fine's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Captain Fine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Fine Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Fine

I voted for option three: beard, "hair on face, not on scalp". But I'd've liked to see him with no hair on his face and none on the scalp.
Old July 29 2009, 12:28 AM   #51
USS Kongo
Fleet Captain

View USS Kongo's Twitter Profile

I thought he looked much better bald.

Sean
USS Kongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2009, 01:37 PM   #52
Loupjo
Lieutenant Commander

I liked Sisko better without hair. He looked cooler & more mature tha way.

I don't think Starfleet really has much rules regarding to how one should wear one's hair given the multitude of different hairdos we see during the show. It wouldn'be practical anyway because not all of starfleet is human and not all aliens can be expected to wear their hair the same way.

I always had the impression that Starfleet is pretty relaxed in that way. Yes, Starfleet has rules on uniform (ensign Ro and the story about whether she was permitted to wear the earing or not) but captains and commanders seem to allow considerable leeway when it comes to those rules (Troi's Uniform, Worf's sash, Ro's earring, O'Briens sleeves rolled up etc)
Loupjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2009, 10:56 AM   #53
NathanielM
Captain

Well hell what happened to the gerry curl and the big ol FRO! Shieeet

There are very few militaries that don't have uniform and appearance standards and regulations.
Of course, every military has regulations of some sort. However, the the actual regulations itself and the amount with which they are enforced tend to differ. Not only that, but aside from the times we did see certain regulations enforced, we've also seen a large amount of cases where strange or unpractical haircuts and improper uniforms have been allowed in Starfleet. As such, ascribing the regulations of a current-day military to Starfleet seems a bit strange.

You said "the military usually lets haircuts be as you like". I proved that to be false. Then you claim starfleet had no uniform and appearance standards. I pointed out that they do and we've seen them enforced several times. Seeing some one with adaptations to their starfleet uniform or hair style does not mean there are no regulations. Waivers were made for people like Scotti, Worf, Ro .. ect. So anyone we see in the background who appears to be out of uniform, obviously the character has had such issues wavered in regard to either their religion or cultural tradition. That is something that happens in today's military to an extent in non combat environments.

The point is : You have no argument.

Seeing someone who is slightly out of uniform does not mean that the orginaziton for which they wear the uniform is not military.
NathanielM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2009, 11:39 AM   #54
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

I don't get head shaving. It always makes the person look older and more boring.
Old August 4 2009, 12:11 PM   #55
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

Deckerd wrote: View Post
I don't get head shaving. It always makes the person look older and more boring.
Not at all. And actually, it definitely has the opposite effect if the guy is already balding. Who do you think looks younger, stronger and sexier: a balding guy, or a guy with a shaved head? And even when they are not balding, some men just don't look that great with hair, and head shaving only makes them look more striking and more badass. Compare Michael Jordan with and without hair. Avery Brooks is another good example.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2009, 12:33 PM   #56
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

It's a stereotype. My husband has male pattern baldness and he keeps his hair cropped really close. It looks fine. If he shaved his head he would look like a prat.
Old August 4 2009, 12:57 PM   #57
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

Deckerd wrote: View Post
It's a stereotype. My husband has male pattern baldness and he keeps his hair cropped really close. It looks fine. If he shaved his head he would look like a prat.
Depends on the individual. A shaved head makes some men look like thugs. Others look much better without any hair on their heads, Avery Brooks being one of them.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote