Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old July 20 2009, 09:29 PM   #31
JuanBolio
Admiral

Re: TOS' U.S.S. Valiant and Farragut....

I love these. Very well done, sir. There's a pre-Constitution design in the new movie that mirrors the look of your Valiant/Farragut very well.

This has been an official JuanBolio post. You are now stronger, smarter, and a better human being for having read it. Congratulations.
JuanBolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2009, 10:53 PM   #32
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaiser Send a message via Yahoo to Kaiser

I like your version of the Bonaventure cus it reminds me of the Botany Bay

and your Vailiant looks interesting as well
Old July 21 2009, 12:54 AM   #33
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

I think the Bonaventure is an awesome start... has a nice DY-100 pedigree, but has an engineering hull and an aesthetic that feels closer to the utility deco of the good ol' 1701. It's very cool, but at the same time, yeah something does seem off about it.

The Valiant is pure win. I'd love to take her for a spin round' the ol' galaxy.
Old July 21 2009, 01:18 AM   #34
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

Herkimer Jitty wrote: View Post
I think the Bonaventure is an awesome start... has a nice DY-100 pedigree, but has an engineering hull and an aesthetic that feels closer to the utility deco of the good ol' 1701. It's very cool, but at the same time, yeah something does seem off about it.

The Valiant is pure win. I'd love to take her for a spin round' the ol' galaxy.
Re: this version of the Bonnie...

There are two "big bugaboos" I see there.

First, the underslung secondary hull could be a bit shorter, overall... start at the same place in front but not extending quite as far aft.

Second, the warp drive nacelles don't have "75% or better line-of-sight" between them. They need that, as far as I'm concerned. Tilting them upwards, just enough to clear the primary hull (which is what I'm calling the entire top section) would fix that, and would also help "balance out" the design (compensating for the underslung secondary hull).

Those are my initial thoughts.

Of course, I still like my version of the Bonnie better...
Cary L. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2009, 11:30 AM   #35
Warped9
Admiral

I have a different idea for the Bonaventure although I did try to have the nacelles evoke those seen on the TAS version including the number on the sides.

I like how the Valiant came out.
Old July 22 2009, 02:56 AM   #36
cbp44189
Commander

I love them both. The Boneventure looks as if it's following the evolution of TOS ships, and the Valiant looks fantastic!
cbp44189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2009, 11:31 AM   #37
Warped9
Admiral

Here is the thing: the ships shouldn't look too close to the TOS era because we're talking about a 150-200 year difference in approach to space warp dynamics (my bit of tech doubletalk). My thinking is that in the early decades of space warp science and tech there could likely have been a lot of experimentation going on to figure out what worked best. And of course by the 23rd century we still see different configurations likely coming out of different solutions by different approaches and stressing different goals, perhaps like stability of space warp fields over speed.

The Bonaventure as seen in TAS makes no sense because it's just so obviously a play on the familiar E design. But in designing a live-action version I still wanted to try evoking elements of the TAS ship. But maybe it's best just to start with a clean sheet.

The Valiant design was easier because I had a sort of focus to it. I figured the ship was not a warp capabale ship before and so how should it look like as a fast relativistic ship. Then I retrofitted it with immense space warp coils like the ringship E, figuring this was one of the approaches of early warp design. I tried it with nacelles and thought it looked silly. The whole ship might be about the size of the TOS E's saucer hull or about 400-500 feet in length. The Valiant's design is actually a play on the V2 like rocketships of the '40s and '50s sci-fi, much like the ships in Destination: Moon and When Worlds Collide. But that general projectile type shape makes sense as a relativistic ship because you need something like that to pierce the stuff in the interstellar medium at 90% of light even with some sort of navigational deflection system.

In fact I like the Valiant enough that I'm thinking of making more images for it from different angles. Of course there's the depiction of the ship encountering the energy barrier. I've also got an image in my head of a miles long exhaust trail as the ship engages its sublight drive (its own space warp engines burnt out) to put distance between the ship and the energy barrier.

Scotty's reference that the Bonaventure was the first ship with warp drive has to be interpreted. When Cochrane introduces his space warp tech it could be that folks were strapping it onto all sorts of things in a hurry to get going. Maybe what Scotty really meant was that other than Cochrane's prototype the Bonaventure was the first ship to have been designed from conception with warp drive. In that way it makes even less sense that the ship would look like what we saw in TAS. Then again I look at TAS as something of an animated storyboard of live-action events from the TOS universe. (-: The more I think about it I feel that I'm not really that far off in my general idea for the Bonaventure, but that it shouldn't be much bigger than the Valiant either.

Last edited by Warped9; July 22 2009 at 11:50 AM.
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2009, 04:37 PM   #38
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

Warped9 wrote: View Post
The Bonaventure as seen in TAS makes no sense because it's just so obviously a play on the familiar E design. But in designing a live-action version I still wanted to try evoking elements of the TAS ship. But maybe it's best just to start with a clean sheet.
Well, we only see the Bonaventure from one angle in TAS. My own approach to this was to try to match up the TAS "view" with something that's still quite a bit different from the TOS Enterprise, and clearly a lot more crude (someplace where ENTERPRISE failed, I think... they tried to make an "older ship" that was simulataneously "more advanced" than the TOS ship.)
Scotty's reference that the Bonaventure was the first ship with warp drive has to be interpreted. When Cochrane introduces his space warp tech it could be that folks were strapping it onto all sorts of things in a hurry to get going. Maybe what Scotty really meant was that other than Cochrane's prototype the Bonaventure was the first ship to have been designed from conception with warp drive. In that way it makes even less sense that the ship would look like what we saw in TAS. Then again I look at TAS as something of an animated storyboard of live-action events from the TOS universe.
Well, this is, to me, yet another bit of corroborating evidence that "warp drive" and "faster-than-light-propulsion" aren't synonymous... that "warp drive" is just one possible FTL propulsion system, and is fairly recently developed (in TOS terms).

This goes along with the "more technical" description of warp drive used under Pike's command, and with Jose Tyler's comment about there having been a propulsion-system breakthrough, and with the concept that the Romulan war was fought with ships using "simple impulse," and on and on.

It's really pretty clear to me that "warp drive" was developed a few decades prior to the Enterprise (under Pike) arriving at Talos.

If that's the case, it makes a lot more sense for the Bonaventure to have been the first ship with that particular form of FTL propulsion. Doesn't mean it's the first FTL ship.

Either way, though, we have to "retcon" "ENTERPRISE" a little bit. In my case, I can watch it just fine, and simply refer to what they call "warp drive" as "FTL drive." In your case.... I'm not sure.
(-: The more I think about it I feel that I'm not really that far off in my general idea for the Bonaventure, but that it shouldn't be much bigger than the Valiant either.
That depends...

The Bonaventure shouldn't have had a big crew, but should have had some self-sufficiency that other ships (perhaps like the Valiant) wouldn't have had.

Remember, the ships in the "Delta Triangle" had been stranded there for decades, yet they weren't all starving to death (yet). Obviously, they'd have had to convert some portions of their ships to hydroponics and so forth... but for a ship like Bonaventure to have been a practical "long-term habitat" you'd have to accept that she had to have a lot of space for that sort of thing.

Of course, the Bonaventure ought to be smaller than the 1701, I think.

Not wanting to "hijack" the thread, but here's are a couple of images:

First, the Bonaventure as seen on-screen in TAS:

And my version of the Bonaventure, from effectively the same angle:

But it's not the same as the Enterprise, and is quite a bit more "crude"...

There have been plenty of other "takes" on the Bonaventure, some trying very hard to replicate the ship as seen on-screen (which really doesn't work very well, I think we'd all have to agree), and others trying a pure "clean-sheet" approach.

The Sternbach/Okuda take:

The "Ships of the Line Calendar" take:

I think that the trick is to try to capture the general appearance seen on-screen while still doing what you're trying to do (that is, making it distinct and less-advanced).
Cary L. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2009, 09:58 PM   #39
aridas sofia
Rear Admiral

I like your concepts, Warped. Thanks for bringing them to my attention. They remind me a little of my own Bonaventure design, similarly based on a presumed evolution of the DY architecture combined with Jefferies' XCV-330 ringship idea:

In my mind (and I believe in Jefferies' mind as well), the secondary hull is a kind of "extended mission pod". I think putting something based on the secondary hull on such an early ship is maybe misapplying that idea, but maybe not. Maybe the slow Bonaventure would take years to get where it was going and would need tons of supplies. But if that is the case, might it be better to try to create something that looks like a midpoint in the evolution from DY-100 containers to NCC-1701 secondary hull? Maybe pie wedges that fit together to form cylindrical drums that line up below like you have it, on an underslung "spine"?
aridas sofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2009, 11:13 AM   #40
Warped9
Admiral

^^ Now that Bonaventure I like! I don't recall seeing that before. Very Cool. That looks like something I should work up an image for.

I'd like to know about the thinking and tech behind that design. Just looking at it makes me think that nacelles may be more a 22nd century development and that the ring concept was more common early on, perhaps peaking around the time of the XCV-330 ringship E or a little later in the early to mid 22nd century.
Old July 23 2009, 02:20 PM   #41
SonicRanger
Rear Admiral

adrias, that is a fantastic ship -- a brilliant combination!
Old July 23 2009, 02:38 PM   #42
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

That Valiant is sweet.

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2009, 09:59 PM   #43
Warped9
Admiral

Old August 2 2009, 06:22 AM   #44
TOS Purist
Commander

Send a message via AIM to TOS Purist Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to TOS Purist

NICE job, Warped9!! I'm especially happy to see that I'm not the only TOS Purist around here!

STAR TREK - 1964 to 1979!!
Old August 21 2009, 03:00 AM   #45
TOS Purist
Commander

Send a message via AIM to TOS Purist Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to TOS Purist

Sorry to double-post, but I noticed that in your first thread, you mentioned "your" chronology. Might I ask what you're referring to?

Right now I'm working on modifying Okuda's "Star Trek Chronology" by cutting out any and all information from the movies and other Trek shows. Some of the events had to be moved around a bit in order to be closer to how TOS was and free it from TNG retconning. Is that kind of what you're doing?