TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old July 1 2009, 04:48 AM   #1
St. William Of Levittown
Vice Admiral

Location: Rush Limborg is prepping for Christmas on The EIB Network
Ezri and Bashir (Old Spoilers)

And good evening once again, Trekkers, Trekkies, Treknecks, and Conversationalists all across the Final Frontier! I, El Rushborg, HAVE RETURNED!

Okay. I'm wondering if you guys can help me out on something. See, I'm doing a sort of "unofficial reaserch project" on the DS9 Relaunch series. Currently, I'm curious as to the exact circumstances of Ezri and Bashir's break-up (in "Unjoined"). I confess I have not yet read the tale--the retail stores don't carry it, and I have yet to find a used bookstore with it....(*sigh*) Memory Beta's kinda vauge, so...perhaps if someone could fill me in?
"The saying implies but does not name the effective agency of its supposed utopia.... 'Needs and abilities' are, of course, subjective. So the operative statement may be reduced to 'the State shall take, the State shall give'."
--David Mamet
St. William Of Levittown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2009, 07:40 AM   #2
lvsxy808
Rear Admiral

Re: Ezri and Bashir (Old Spoilers)

Memory Beta is probably vague because the story itself is kind of vague.

The break-up comes in the aftermath of the upheavals on the Trill homeworld over the affair with the parasites. In the course of that crisis, Dax and Bashir took wholly opposite approaches. Bashir wanted to help the people on the street - Dax wanted to run off and find the root cause of the trouble. The two of them ended up pretty much at odds throughout the crisis.

It's not that this one event led to their break-up, so much that it was simply the latest, greatest example of a problem that had plagued their relationship since it began. They have great affection for each other, but they're simply not a good match. With Dax's increased confidence and explorations of her previous hosts, and Bashir's innate arrogance and superiority complex, they've spent their entire relationship arguing and making up.

The actual break-up is basically a mutual agreement - they pretty much agree that it's just not working and they'd be better off as just friends. At least so it seems at the time. Later, in "Wounds," Bashir seems to blame Ezri a little more directly. And I've speculated that one of the reasons Ezri decides to transfer off DS9 is to help her make a clean break from Bashir.

Read Deep Space Nine, Season 10
All 22 eps available to read on-screen or download and keep!
lvsxy808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2009, 11:47 PM   #3
JD
Admiral

Rush, I don't know if you buy stuff off Amazon, but it WoDS9v2 is still available new there.
Old July 2 2009, 03:39 AM   #4
St. William Of Levittown
Vice Admiral

Rush, I don't know if you buy stuff off Amazon, but it WoDS9v2 is still available new there.
I usually don't--at least, if there's a chance I can get the product in question at a used bookstore for cents on the dollar....

For now, though, I'm just trying to find out as much as I can about this particular story arc--in the event of story ideas of mine coming to the surface, and all that. Usually, Memory Beta is sufficient to supply my Trek-related needs, but in this case....

BTW...isn't "Wounds" an SCE/COE E-book? Is Bashir in that one, then?
"The saying implies but does not name the effective agency of its supposed utopia.... 'Needs and abilities' are, of course, subjective. So the operative statement may be reduced to 'the State shall take, the State shall give'."
--David Mamet
Old July 2 2009, 07:59 AM   #5
lvsxy808
Rear Admiral

Yes, it's a two-parter starring Bashir and Lense. It's available in the recent CoE: Wounds print collection.

Old July 2 2009, 08:10 AM   #6
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

lvsxy808 wrote: View Post
Later, in "Wounds," Bashir seems to blame Ezri a little more directly. And I've speculated that one of the reasons Ezri decides to transfer off DS9 is to help her make a clean break from Bashir.
Fearful Symmetry implies this too, just a bit, when Bashir has a moment of wistfulness towards Ezri. That would be an interesting reason, if that's where the story's going. Course, for all we know, Bashir dies in her arms sometime between now and then.
Old July 2 2009, 10:07 AM   #7
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Kestrel wrote: View Post
Course, for all we know, Bashir dies in her arms sometime between now and then.
Well, in "The Calling" Garak says something along the lines of "I believe you're still alive", and thinks he meets him in the Vinculum... . It's implied, I recall, that Bashir's now working on something rather sensitive (I like to think with the Kirk Cabal against Section 31).
Old July 2 2009, 05:13 PM   #8
lvsxy808
Rear Admiral

Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post
It's implied, I recall, that Bashir's now working on something rather sensitive (I like to think with the Kirk Cabal against Section 31).
Oooooooh!

*bouncy bouncy bouncy*

Old July 2 2009, 07:00 PM   #9
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

It's implied, I recall, that Bashir's now working on something rather sensitive (I like to think with the Kirk Cabal against Section 31).
Oooooooh!

*bouncy bouncy bouncy*
It's a very vague implication, so don't get too excited. I hope that the DS9 relaunch, when it gets round to 2380, will remember what "The Calling" hinted at. It might not, of course.
Old July 2 2009, 07:27 PM   #10
St. William Of Levittown
Vice Admiral

Fearful Symmetry implies this too, just a bit, when Bashir has a moment of wistfulness towards Ezri.
Oh?

Nice! Hey...is it, by any chance, along the lines of James Bond's reunion with his long-lost love Paris Carver in Tomorrow Never Dies? ("Tell me Julian, do you still sleep with a phaser under your pillow?")

Sans Paris's slapping Bond's face, of course....
--David Mamet
Old July 2 2009, 07:32 PM   #11
St. William Of Levittown
Vice Admiral

Hmm...or maybe (irony of ironies), he's on an assignment for Section 31 once again?

I tell ya, for all his talk about hating the Bureau's guts, he sure seems to work with them a lot....
--David Mamet
Old July 2 2009, 10:39 PM   #12
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

Oooooooh!

*bouncy bouncy bouncy*
It's a very vague implication, so don't get too excited. I hope that the DS9 relaunch, when it gets round to 2380, will remember what "The Calling" hinted at. It might not, of course.
The Calling? What book is this then? Not Mr Mack's first original story and wholly unStar Trek novel? You must be getting confused with Destiny, but I don't recall Bashir being mentioned at all during the trilogy.
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2009, 10:42 PM   #13
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Dimesdan wrote: View Post

Oooooooh!

*bouncy bouncy bouncy*
The Calling? What book is this then? Not Mr Mack's first original story and wholly unStar Trek novel? You must be getting confused with Destiny, but I don't recall Bashir being mentioned at all during the trilogy.
The Deranged Nasat does not get confused when his precious continuity is at stake . "The Calling" is a short story in "Prophecy and Change", written by Andrew Robinson. It's a sequel of sorts to the incomparable "A Stitch in Time". Bashir is mentioned and sort of-possibly-maybe appears.
Old July 2 2009, 10:45 PM   #14
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

Fair enough, I've never read Prophecy and Change so wouldn't know.
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2009, 04:54 AM   #15
St. William Of Levittown
Vice Admiral

^Neither have I...YET!
--David Mamet