RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,694
Members: 24,208
Currently online: 841
Newest member: meshman63

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old September 28 2009, 08:09 AM   #31
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy
Re: Star Trek season 2 on Blu-ray Trekweb

I hope the "commentary," or "starfleet access," is a little more insightful this time around. On the first season set, I expected to get a little insight into the production of whatever Starfleet Access episode I picked. Instead, the episode starts, you wait five minutes, then one of the Okudas pops onscreen and says something like, "Notice how McCoy doesn't like the transporter. I sure wouldn't either!" You wait five more minutes, then the Ain't It Cool News guy pops up and goes, "This episode is like, so cool!" Okay, I'm slightly exaggerating. But only slightly.
Old September 28 2009, 08:06 PM   #32
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

Re: Star Trek season 2 on Blu-ray [release date Sept. 22]

Agreed, Hober. I think I sampled about 3 minutes of one episode from Season 1 w/ the Starfleet Access turned on, then turned it off, and haven't looked back since.

Doug
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2009, 04:00 AM   #33
seigezunt
Vice Admiral

Location: Splashing on some Tiberius before a night on the town

why can't they just do plain old audio commentaries instead of this pop-up video stuff? I understand most of the major behind the scenes people are dead now, but they could have found somebody for sure.
I am constantly surprised by the close-mindedness of some fans...this means change as well as a positive attitude. Without those things, how can we ever achieve that Trek future we enjoyed so much on TV? --Bjo Trimble
seigezunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2009, 01:03 AM   #34
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

seigezunt wrote: View Post
why can't they just do plain old audio commentaries instead of this pop-up video stuff? I understand most of the major behind the scenes people are dead now, but they could have found somebody for sure.
I'd rather hear anecdotes from the grandson of the studio security guard than read popups telling me what a "Klingon" and a "tribble" are.
Old October 8 2009, 01:08 AM   #35
seigezunt
Vice Admiral

Location: Splashing on some Tiberius before a night on the town

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
seigezunt wrote: View Post
I'd rather hear anecdotes from the grandson of the studio security guard than read popups telling me what a "Klingon" and a "tribble" are.
Yeah, I think we know those.

Seriously, I had some friends over to watch the new blurays the other night, and they were wowed, but when it came to the pop-up commentaries, one was sniggering and the other fell asleep.
I am constantly surprised by the close-mindedness of some fans...this means change as well as a positive attitude. Without those things, how can we ever achieve that Trek future we enjoyed so much on TV? --Bjo Trimble
seigezunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2009, 07:54 PM   #36
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Star Trek season 2 on Blu-ray review

High Def Digest has a review up too.
Purists will be pleased to know that the studio has once again provided the show's unrestored monaural soundtracks in Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono format.
DVDreview,com has a review up.
utterly impressive are the colors, which are strong and colorful. The second season seems to make use of color a little more deliberately than the previous season, straying from the pastel tones of old, and replacing them with much bolder hues that create a very vibrant image.
the show's original mono audio track is also included to make sure the episodes are available in their original, unaltered form for posterity.
Not entirely accurate according to ssosmcin and Indysolo about added sound effects since the 1966-68 mono masters. Some of those are detailed here.

intotheblu.com has a review up.
about the 7.1 DTS HD Master Audio:
Some of the sound effects have been rerecorded as well, such as the firing of the photon torpedoes and phasers, which sound much more 21st Century.
highdefdiscnews.com has a review up.
I was especially happy the original mono recordings existed, when on the first episode of this season, there’s about 20 minutes it seems where a constant ringing of bells is present in the soundfield which almost gave me a headache in 7.1 [mix] — so, I switched to the Mono mix which was less annoying from the sound of the constant rattling of the bells.
for reference: Episode 1 – “Amok Time"
Vulcan bell and banner carriers
These Vulcan attendees announced the coming of T'Pau to Spock and T'Pring's marriage ceremony. (TOS: "Amok Time")

Last edited by jefferiestubes8; October 25 2009 at 08:12 PM.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2009, 09:19 PM   #37
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

Sorry to revive an older thread.

Although I've watched most of Season 2, I still have about 5 episodes to go. Last night, I finally watched Mirror, Mirror. It was gorgeous. I saw a 35mm print of it on a huge screen at the Air & Space Museum in Washington, DC years ago when they had a Trek exhibit, and it reminded me of that viewing. The tiny threads sticking out of Kirk's tunic, the beautiful depth in the cinematography, etc. were yummy.

And, wasn't Marc Daniels a great director? His work on this episode really stands out. I also have dipped into the Season 3 BD, and he did some nice things during the bridge scenes in the beginning of Spock's Brain: using unusual angles, having an actual projection on the viewscreen in front of which the actors walked, etc.

Doug
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2010, 04:30 PM   #38
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Blu-ray $39.99 at Amazon - sale on Season2

'Star Trek: TOS - Season 2' Blu-ray $39.99 at Amazon

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/High_Def_Deals/Amazon/HDD_Spotlight_Bargain:_Star_Trek:_TOS_-_Season_2_Blu-ray_$39.99_at_Amazon/4331
Old March 5 2010, 01:19 AM   #39
Aragorn
Admiral

All three seasons are $40 each at Best Buy this week.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2010, 03:34 PM   #40
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

season 2 Blu-ray was only released 5 1/2 months ago and season 3 was released 2 1/2 months ago.

Keep this in mind kids when the ENT on Blu-ray comes out.