Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed

Trek Big Bang Figures

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 14 2009, 03:54 AM   #31
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Re: Summer Anime 2009

But Japanese people can't get stoned.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2009, 08:21 AM   #32
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

I love random, wacked out comedies like Excel Saga personally. Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro Chan and Kodocha! are a couple others along the same lines that get me rolling. Despite that, I can't say that I'm too big on comedies. I tend to ignore them and gravitate towards the more serious stuff. I only really watch a comedy if I'm in the mood.

As far as Excel Saga goes it's got the added bonus of being stuffed full of references to and parodies of other anime and even Star Wars. It's ten times more funny if you know what they're ripping on. It's an anime for people who watch too much anime, really.
Old July 15 2009, 01:23 AM   #33
Holoaddict
Commodore

clint g wrote: View Post
zakkrusz wrote: View Post
FLCL was also pretty darn high on the ratings scale for the anime they've aired. Probabally because it was funny, which could also explain why some of the others had the viewership as well, because they included humor to a fairly significant degree. You think they'd try to roll with that angle and get more comedy anime if comedy is successful on AS. If they were smart anyway....

Maybe pick up Azumanga Daioh, Bamboo Blade, Chobits, Excel Saga, the Galaxy Angel series, or even The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzimiya if action stuff doesn't work.
Oh god I can just hear the complaints from people over how Excel Saga ruined their lives because of its cracked out psychotic humor. I loved that show I think one of the problems is that AS didn't really choose some of its shows well. i for one loved Moribito but it really wasn't right for the channel. What they need is something edgy and daring. Something like Elfin Lied
I am not sure how they could possible air Elfen Lied. Though it might be hilarious to see them try. If they somehow managed to get half the series on screen I would be impressed. If what they showed actually made sense I would be downright amazed.
Holoaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2009, 01:46 AM   #34
Leroy
Fleet Captain

They could aie Elfen Lied but it would be censored really bad like with what they did with that awful Tom Wiseau move "The Room" that AS aired on April Fool's.
Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2009, 02:30 AM   #35
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Its probably because you aren't stoned. its the most important part of the experience
I can assure you that wasn't the problem.
Old July 15 2009, 03:58 AM   #36
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Yeah, Elfen Lied would be downright unwatchable if it was constricted by the AS censoring policy. The show has so many television no nos that there'd be hardly anything left. It would be nothing but blurred visuals and bleeps.
Old July 15 2009, 11:07 AM   #37
clint g
Admiral

I'd still watch, should be good for a laugh
Old July 15 2009, 05:53 PM   #38
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Nyu!!!
Old July 16 2009, 12:05 AM   #39
Holoaddict
Commodore

zakkrusz wrote: View Post
Yeah, Elfen Lied would be downright unwatchable if it was constricted by the AS censoring policy. The show has so many television no nos that there'd be hardly anything left. It would be nothing but blurred visuals and bleeps.
Maybe I need to rewatch the show, but I do not remember a lot of swearing. Most of that came up whenever that pyschotic soldier was on the screen.

Even so, there are plenty of other elements that would need to be censored for AS to air the show.
Holoaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2009, 12:25 AM   #40
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Actually saw Elfin Lied for the first time on Anime Network last year--there is no way in hell that show is going to make it onto basic cable, much less Adult Swim...
Old July 16 2009, 12:50 AM   #41
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

melancholymecha wrote: View Post
BTW, a bit off topic, but what's with all this new kiddified reality crap on CN now? I saw this huge promo commercial for it before the trailers that ran for Up this summer, & just sat there watching the screen mortified....start them when they're young, I guess.
They have a new exec who seems to want to compete with Disney and Nickelodeon. CN has forgotten who it is. It is not Disney and it is not Nickelodeon... And copying Spongebob and other things on those channels will drive away their base. As for Adult Swim, if they want to diss viewers like pathetic high school cliques, they will find themselves continuing to get lambasted in the ratings. Be who you really should be, Cartoon Network, not a dumping ground for Slamball...
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2009, 01:02 AM   #42
clint g
Admiral

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Actually saw Elfin Lied for the first time on Anime Network last year--there is no way in hell that show is going to make it onto basic cable, much less Adult Swim...
A fun fact about Elfen Lied is that one of the heads over at Adult Swim actually wanted to air it and went as far as seeing about the possibilities of airing it on the channel. But alas, the censors had no balls and nothing came of it

Oh wells. For a serious suggestion though, I would think Full Metal Panic would be a decent show to put on. A good story with lots of action, like able characters, and an outstanding English dub. It'll never happen though

And this just in, a Twilight manhwa is in the works

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...d-by-yen-press

Who knows, maybe it'll be made into an anime. I'll bet that will be a sure fire hit on adult swim

Last edited by clint g; July 16 2009 at 01:27 AM.
clint g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2009, 01:58 AM   #43
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

FMP would have been great.

I would have thought shows like Claymore, Kaze no Stigma, and Kurokami would probabally do well on AS if they chose to pick them up.

I'd mention they get something a little more substantial like Monster or Haibane Renmei which wasn't a shounen series but fat chance of those getting AS ratings judging by how poorly similar shows have done.

Black Lagoon would have made an awesome AS acquisition, sadly that went to some Starz movie channel I don't even get. It also has a great dub in my opinion, and tons of action. Just have to make due with my DVDs I guess.
Old July 16 2009, 07:00 AM   #44
Meredith
Vice Admiral

Claymore would be Drool-a-lific I have seen it subbed and was impressed and the manga is ongoing so they may do another season later on.

I am just glad they are doing TWO episodes of Bleach on Saturdays.
Old July 16 2009, 11:31 AM   #45
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
A fun fact about Elfen Lied is that one of the heads over at Adult Swim actually wanted to air it and went as far as seeing about the possibilities of airing it on the channel. But alas, the censors had no balls and nothing came of it
I really can't blame 'em in a way. Adult Swim is still at best a PG-13/TV-14 set up, and although they've pushed the boundaries here and there, it still more often than not conforms to Standards and Practices. So much would have to have been cut out or pixelated from Elfin Lied that it just simply wouldn't have been watchable in the end, IMO.
Oh wells. For a serious suggestion though, I would think Full Metal Panic would be a decent show to put on. A good story with lots of action, like able characters, and an outstanding English dub. It'll never happen though
I agree, Full Metal Panic would have been an excellent fit for Adult Swim--hell, it would have been an excellent fit for Toonami--but that ship has sailed...

Peach Wookie wrote:
Originally Posted by melancholymecha
BTW, a bit off topic, but what's with all this new kiddified reality crap on CN now? I saw this huge promo commercial for it before the trailers that ran for Up this summer, & just sat there watching the screen mortified....start them when they're young, I guess.
They have a new exec who seems to want to compete with Disney and Nickelodeon. CN has forgotten who it is. It is not Disney and it is not Nickelodeon... And copying Spongebob and other things on those channels will drive away their base...
The ratings for CN's new reality shows (or "CN Real" as they call it) have been reportedly abysmal. Seems like a lot of kids turn the channel when they come on--and watch Disney and Nickleodeon instead...