Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old August 12 2009, 01:25 PM   #31
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

Re: Daggerfall (Elder Scrolls II) now free & legal to download

backstept wrote: View Post
it's the only game series where I've stopped to read a book
This.

That's what I love about the Elder Scrolls series. It doesn't just hint at a wider world beyond the quests, it soaks you in it. Presents it to you on a platter and invites you to tuck in.

I've spent hours in Morrowind and Oblivion just exploring the landscape, without taking on any quests. Just wandering around, stopping off in inns, having the odd (stifled) conversation. You really can just live and breath Tamrielic life.

Shit. That probably makes me sound incredibly pathetic!
Old August 12 2009, 01:32 PM   #32
Robert Maxwell
beep

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Jim Steele wrote: View Post
backstept wrote: View Post
it's the only game series where I've stopped to read a book
This.

That's what I love about the Elder Scrolls series. It doesn't just hint at a wider world beyond the quests, it soaks you in it. Presents it to you on a platter and invites you to tuck in.

I've spent hours in Morrowind and Oblivion just exploring the landscape, without taking on any quests. Just wandering around, stopping off in inns, having the odd (stifled) conversation. You really can just live and breath Tamrielic life.

Shit. That probably makes me sound incredibly pathetic!
Nah, I do the same thing. I love a game where you can just go exploring and see what's out there.
Old August 12 2009, 02:06 PM   #33
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

Ah, this game seemed so wonderfully tacky when I devoured the Wikipedia article on it... apparently it was so glitchy in it's first release that it was theoretically impossible to beat the main quest, ha ha... I tried playing the original Arena (downloaded that one for free too), I couldn't play cuz I was on the ground laughing my guts out at the sheer oldness of it...
"Good grief. You guys sure know how to make something out of nothing. And then take sides about whether or not it's nothing, and then change your minds and discuss why you thought it was something." - Kestra
Itisnotlogical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2009, 02:15 PM   #34
Robert Maxwell
beep

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

itisnotlogical wrote: View Post
Ah, this game seemed so wonderfully tacky when I devoured the Wikipedia article on it... apparently it was so glitchy in it's first release that it was theoretically impossible to beat the main quest, ha ha... I tried playing the original Arena (downloaded that one for free too), I couldn't play cuz I was on the ground laughing my guts out at the sheer oldness of it...
So... you have a problem with old games?
Old August 12 2009, 02:23 PM   #35
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

^^ No, I think they're great (you're looking at the guy who spent $30 in one go on games published before 2000), I just get a kick out of really old computer games like Doom, Elder Scrolls, and Elite (kudos to whoever recognizes that last one). Partly because my computer can't handle any game released as recently as 2006...
"Good grief. You guys sure know how to make something out of nothing. And then take sides about whether or not it's nothing, and then change your minds and discuss why you thought it was something." - Kestra
Old August 12 2009, 02:25 PM   #36
Robert Maxwell
beep

^^ No, I think they're great (you're looking at the guy who spent $30 in one go on games published before 2000), I just get a kick out of really old computer games like Doom, Elder Scrolls, and Elite (kudos to whoever recognizes that last one). Partly because my computer can't handle any game released as recently as 2006...
Oh, I thought you were mocking. It wouldn't surprise me, around here.

I love old games, too. Most of my favorites are from the mid '90's.
Old August 12 2009, 02:37 PM   #37
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

Elite (kudos to whoever recognizes that last one)
Played the Amstrad CPC 464 version to death, and both its sequels on Amiga/PC
Old August 12 2009, 02:42 PM   #38
Robert Maxwell
beep

Elite (kudos to whoever recognizes that last one)
Played the Amstrad CPC 464 version to death, and both its sequels on Amiga/PC
Loved Elite and that whole genre. The closest things that I still play to that are Independence War 2 and Freelancer.
Old August 12 2009, 02:48 PM   #39
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

Never played the IW games, but I absolutely love Freelancer. Ok, so the economy had zilch depth and planetary systems weren't realistically modelled like in Frontier, but it was a shitload of fun. Probably my favourite Elite clone after, well, Frontier.
Old August 12 2009, 02:52 PM   #40
Robert Maxwell
beep

Never played the IW games, but I absolutely love Freelancer. Ok, so the economy had zilch depth and planetary systems weren't realistically modelled like in Frontier, but it was a shitload of fun. Probably my favourite Elite clone after, well, Frontier.
Pick up I-War 2 sometime, and get the Torn Stars mod for it. Basically turns it into an Elite clone. You can go from system to system, buying up goods to trade elsewhere. And it actually makes sense: you take processed ore to factories which build parts. You buy those parts and sell them to a manufacturing plant, and then you can buy things from the plant to sell elsewhere. You can also stake mining rights on asteroids and such for some extra buckage.

You can also pillage at will, and even steal ships if I recall correctly. Police react appropriately to your behavior, though, so you gotta be careful.
Old August 12 2009, 04:00 PM   #41
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

Hey, I just finished downloading and installing the game and memorizing all the commands I have to type to open the game. How the hell do I swing my weapon? Every now and again I'll get lucky and my stupid character will swing his damn sword, but I've been killed about 5 times in a row by the same monster because my character doesn't swing his sword when I hold the button and move the mouse around. Help?
Old August 12 2009, 04:08 PM   #42
Zulu Romeo
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Zulu Romeo

Elite (kudos to whoever recognizes that last one).
You mean to say you reckon no-one here's heard of Elite?!

I loved that game. A BBC Micro original it was, too.
Nearest best thing to it right now is probably either of the X3 games.
Old August 12 2009, 07:41 PM   #43
TEH BABA
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to TEH BABA

First Encounters. Smuggling computers to that religious colony.