Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old July 18 2009, 11:48 PM   #16
clint g
Admiral

Re: Daggerfall (Elder Scrolls II) now free & legal to download

I'd say Morrowind has aged very well. I would say that in most respects, I actually like Morrowind more than oblivion. The art design in Morrowind is more unique and varied, the story is more interesting, and I found its expansion packs to be more entertaining
Old July 19 2009, 09:21 AM   #17
Elemental
Rear Admiral

View Elemental's Twitter Profile

^What system did you play Oblivion on?
Elemental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2009, 10:18 AM   #18
clint g
Admiral

I played it on both the PC and 360. The PC had the better controls but other than that I would say the PC and 360 versions were mostly comparable. I never got to try out the PS3 version
Old July 23 2009, 12:30 AM   #19
Kirk's_Tights
Fleet Captain

Looks awesome, thanks for the info!
Old July 23 2009, 12:57 AM   #20
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

Sweet! Thanks, Jim (and Bob).
Old July 23 2009, 04:16 AM   #21
Base_Delta_Zero
Commodore

Ah, Daggerfall, where I got infected with lycanthropy about half-way through the main plot by some merchant character (I think) and spent the entire rest of my time playing the game terrorizing the countryside and pwning enemies way beyond my level with magic-lethal claws and immunities to non-magic attacks. Good times. Never did finish it. Got a couple of corrupt saves and eventually dropped it.
Base_Delta_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2009, 08:00 AM   #22
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

Elemental wrote: View Post
I've been considering getting into The Elder Scrolls games for a long time. With most major gaming switching over from the PC on to the consoles, I was wondering how Oblivion compares between PC and PS3? Also, how dated is Morrowind nowadays?

I have both, and if you're not bothered about mods (which i'm not tbh, the few quest mods I've tried have been an amateurish mess and not worth anyone's time, and everything else is just cosmetic or loot) then 360 Oblivion exactly the same experience.

I prefer the 360 controls, largely because it seems Oblivion was layed out with a controller in mind first before being adapted to M&K. The PC version will look much nicer on a modern machine though, and run at a much higher resolution and smoother framerate. The 360 version chugs a bit in the wilderness - it usually maintains 30fps but I've seen it drop to about 10-12 and all versions of the game suffer from horrendous pop-in.

Morrowind has aged beautifully! Especially with texture replacers, Better Bodies/Heads and the Morrowind Graphics Extender - it's very easy to get it looking every bit as good as Oblivion and then some. I'll attempt to find some screenies...

Last edited by Jim Steele; July 23 2009 at 10:47 AM.
Jim Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2009, 04:12 AM   #23
Ryan
Commodore

Brolan wrote: View Post
While it was fun, Daggerfall was a buggy mess. Make sure you have all the patches and find a save game repair program, you will need it. Save often and leave yourself a long list of save files.
Oh, so many strange glitches used to happen in dungeons (not to mention custom spells). Bethesda was patching the game for years and years after its release and still never got it quite working.

I wonder if they've stripped out all the naughty bits? It's kinda sad seeing all the old books being censored in the new games.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2009, 10:26 AM   #24
Chimpy Chompy
Commander

Older RPGs can be kind of daunting at first (flail around, not understand what to do, get lost in samey-looking dungeon, get murdered by lvl 1 rat). But I'd love to give Daggerfall a try, depending on its Dosbox performance.

clint g wrote: View Post
I'd say Morrowind has aged very well. I would say that in most respects, I actually like Morrowind more than oblivion. The art design in Morrowind is more unique and varied, the story is more interesting, and I found its expansion packs to be more entertaining
Oblivion's world felt more alive, the npcs actually walked around and slept etc, and it had more involving quests.

However I did prefer the setting of Morrowind. I liked the exotic and slightly alien vibe - mushroom towers, insect-shell armour, dunmer culture, weird critters. More original than the wolves and castles of Cyrodil anyway. And the story behind the main quest was pretty cool too, with its theme of the end of an age of demigods.
Chimpy Chompy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2009, 11:20 PM   #25
watermelony2k
Vice Admiral

anyone play fallout 3, developed by the same makers? Any good?
watermelony2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2009, 01:07 AM   #26
TEH BABA
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to TEH BABA

great game.
Old August 6 2009, 08:38 AM   #27
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

watermelony2k wrote: View Post
anyone play fallout 3, developed by the same makers? Any good?
Fallout 3 is a very good game. Probably the game I've played for the longest time ever, especially once you add in the DLC add ons.
Old August 7 2009, 11:33 PM   #28
Elemental
Rear Admiral

View Elemental's Twitter Profile

Is there much interconnectivity of the 4 ES games? I understand the original introduced many different nations and each sequel has tended to only focus on about one of them?
Elemental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2009, 12:56 PM   #29
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

Elemental wrote: View Post
Is there much interconnectivity of the 4 ES games? I understand the original introduced many different nations and each sequel has tended to only focus on about one of them?
It's a consistent universe, and many events/towns/characters from previous games are referenced and have an impact on the later ones. Some NPCs are encountered in multiple titles, like Mai'q The Liar (can be found on an island in Morrowind, loiters outside certain city gates in Oblivion). But it's not a strict and linear plot, just a timeline.

The lore establishes things like Daedra, The Nine Divines, Tamrielic geography, races, social attitudes etc pretty early on. Many of the books you can read in Daggerfall can be found and read in Morrowind & Oblivion too.

It's interesting to note that in Bloodmoon, the second and final expansion pack for Morrowind, there is a prophecy foretelling the events of Oblivion.
Old August 12 2009, 01:17 PM   #30
backstept
Rear Admiral

View backstept's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to backstept Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to backstept

Jim Steele wrote: View Post
It's interesting to note that in Bloodmoon, the second and final expansion pack for Morrowind, there is a prophecy foretelling the events of Oblivion.
sweet! I'm glad I got Morrowind on steam a while back
now I don't have to drag my xbox out of storage

I really love the Elder Scrolls series. it has the deepest amount of lore and backstory of any rpg I've played. The races, the Daedra, the nations and provinces, it's the only game series where I've stopped to read a book
I love how your character is greeted differently depending on faction standing, bounty etc (You n'wah!)
the factions are great too

the island of Vvardenfell in the province of Morrowind always felt larger and more epic than the physically larger area of Cyrodiil
the Ghostfence and the Red Mountain probably had something to do with it
not to mention the mushroom trees and dunmer architecture