Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 10 2009, 01:54 AM   #31
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Re: Babylon 5 - I'm finally going to do it

Jan wrote: View Post
^^ According to JMS:

The reason Laurel Takashima/Tamlyn Tomita is not currently on the show
is because the actress didn't feel really comfortable in the role of a
military commander, and felt she might do better in other kinds of roles,
such as that which came along about the same time in a major motion picture;
she is now a highly-sought-after film performer.
Jan
To be fair, she has had a pretty good career since, so I don't know if it was really a bad choice on her part. I would have like to have seen more of her, however.

Actually, it would have been nice to have her come back in season five. Scoggins just never did it for me, plus all that lame back-story nonsense would have never happened.

It's interesting though, one of my favorite of Tomita's roles was her stint on JAG where she played, of all things, a head-strong military commander. Of course, she was a lawyer. I guess that makes all the difference.

Mal wrote: View Post
FWIW, Delenn was never sexed up, and it's hard to think of a stronger scifi female character (you'll see...).

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
The thing with Kira though is I didn't really like the whole relationship angle of her. I didn't like the stuff with Shakaar, and then the things with Odo in those early years were not interesting. It seemed like the tougher Kira in the early years kind of got softer in the later years, even though there were bursts of greatness, such as the Occupation arc, and her training the Cardassian rebels.
Yeah. Kira a tendency to be written rather unevenly. Over the coarse of te show she had a nice progression, but there were several things that were off-putting. Her relationships, as you say, are a good example.

Thank God Nana was tenacious enough in her opposition to the Dukat love fest. I think I would have turned the show off for good had that happened.
Old July 10 2009, 03:15 AM   #32
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

That really sucks about Laurel's character. I'm going to like Ivoneva, but one of the things I really don't like in TV series is that we don't get to see strong-willed women. When we do, it's great, such as characters like later season Kes, Jadzia (I thought she was strong-willed) and some aspects of 7 of 9, as well as Ayren Sun. Most often we get just the sex up aspect of women actresses and that's why I liked Laurel. She was strong willed, and I didn't get a sense of she being there for sex value. She looked good as was. I can understand why Networks do this, but I don't necessarily like it.
I think one of the things that has struck me the most about Babylon 5 is how, unlike a lot of sci-fi, the female characters are never played for their sex appeal. They're all real, strong-willed characters.
Old July 10 2009, 07:03 AM   #33
FelizNavidad
Admiral

View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile

Just saw my first iffy episode, Soul Hunter

I don't know, there were parts of it I liked, but the whole Soul hunter thing I could take or leave. I thought the guy was really annoying at the beginning and it kind of made the episode not as good. I did like the introduction of Franklin (I just remembered the guy who played him died at a young age so his scene with Ivonava talking about death was quite sad), and more about the Minbari and the Gray Council. Overall though, I could take or leave this one.

sjsharksfan39
FelizNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2009, 07:28 AM   #34
RoJoHen
Awesome

"They're using you!!!"

...more important than you'd think.
Old July 10 2009, 07:33 AM   #35
Mal
Rear Admiral

Just saw my first iffy episode, Soul Hunter
FWIW, this is not typically considered one of B5's best outings.

I don't know, there were parts of it I liked, but the whole Soul hunter thing I could take or leave.
well then you'll be happy to know that you'll never have to deal with them again!

I thought the guy was really annoying at the beginning and it kind of made the episode not as good.
you think he's bad, wait till you see martin sheen

I did like the introduction of Franklin (I just remembered the guy who played him died at a young age so his scene with Ivonava talking about death was quite sad), and more about the Minbari and the Gray Council. Overall though, I could take or leave this one.
as many have probably already said, as with most shows, B5 takes a couple episodes to get into gear, and there are a few missteps early on.

actually, it was not until my 6th time through with B5 (i kid you not), that i really enjoyed Soul Hunter. it is quite an acquired taste

nevertheless, if you like londo (and you really must!!!!), the next episode is his, so enjoy!
Old July 10 2009, 08:04 AM   #36
FelizNavidad
Admiral

You're right, Born to the Purple was a much better episode. Loved how they used G'Kar and his expression was priceless.

sjsharksfan39
Old July 10 2009, 05:09 PM   #37
FelizNavidad
Admiral

I know this is kinda random, but I hope Ivoneva does get better. It seems like she forces all her lines in the first few episodes. That's not good.

sjsharksfan39
Old July 10 2009, 05:11 PM   #38
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

She has moments of awkwardness all the way through, but by and large the character relaxes a bit once they start letting her out of C&C now and then.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2009, 06:13 PM   #39
Mal
Rear Admiral

You're right, Born to the Purple was a much better episode.
Gentlemen, of all things in life, are females not the finest!

and of course

Wine ... Women ... Song...
Old July 10 2009, 06:16 PM   #40
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

I know this is kinda random, but I hope Ivoneva does get better. It seems like she forces all her lines in the first few episodes. That's not good.
She has a specific reason for doing this, and that reason will be revealed to you soon. Afterwards, there's a ... change ... in her. It's around the 14th or so episode.
Old July 10 2009, 06:41 PM   #41
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Yeah she does start out kind of tepid (Not a cold hearted bitch by any means, just not real warm.) and bland and some of CC's delivery comes off as forced and awkward, but from about Mid Season 3 to about Mid Season 4 she's utterly fantastic.
Old July 10 2009, 06:47 PM   #42
Admiral Jarok
Commander

OmahaStar wrote: View Post
She has a specific reason for doing this, and that reason will be revealed to you soon. Afterwards, there's a ... change ... in her. It's around the 14th or so episode.
Not only that, but in the first few episodes, Claudia Christian appears to be trying a pseudo-Russian accent. Her "accent" was rather stilted and cold. It's kind of funny, but what really stood out for me was that she didn't use contractions in those first episodes. I can't remember the exact lines, but it's stuff like, "I do not like it", instead of a more natural "I don't like it".

It kind of reminds of Patrick Stewart's strange "accent" in season 1. Luckily both actors dropped it and went with a more natural way, for them, of speaking.

Last edited by Admiral Jarok; July 10 2009 at 10:36 PM.
Admiral Jarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2009, 10:32 PM   #43
Mr Light
Admiral

I hated Ivanova in Season One... but in Season Two she became one of my favorite characters

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2009, 11:09 PM   #44
David cgc
Vice Admiral

Admiral Jarok wrote: View Post
Not only that, but in the first few episodes, Claudia Christian appears to be trying a pseudo-Russian accent. Her "accent" was rather stilted and cold. It's kind of funny, but what really stood out for me was that she didn't use contractions in those first episodes. I can't remember the exact lines, but it's stuff like, "I do not like it", instead of a more natural "I don't like it".

It kind of reminds of Patrick Stewart's strange "accent" in season 1. Luckily both actors dropped it and went with a more natural way, for them, of speaking.
It also reminds me now of how Leonard Nimoy was very precise with his diction as Spock since, if Spock was an alien, English would be his second language. Initially, of course, that came out as SUDDEN SPONTANEOUS YELLING and occasional misplaced emphasis. "Deflec-tors say there's something there, sen-sors say there isn't," and the like.
Old July 11 2009, 03:16 AM   #45
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

The Evil Dead wrote: View Post
Watching Babylon 5 seems to be the trendy thing to do this summer, haha. Glad to hear it,
Must be. I just watched Call to Arms and both chapters of The Lost Tales this morning over breakfast. Tomorrow morning I will be watching Sleeping in Light, bringing an end to two months of Babylon 5 at breakfast time.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote