Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Abrams To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek 3 Casting Rumor Reactions
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek Comics Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 16 2009, 08:56 AM   #151
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile
Re: Babylon 5 - I'm finally going to do it

Legacies

I think of the episodes I saw tonight, this one was the best. We got a lot of good juicy stuff on the Minbari (And other than the war, those other things like the culture have been kinda lacking this season) and I think it set up the Season finale, since that episode is titled Chrysalis. I liked Neroon and seeing the two great leaders at the end was a nice touch.

As for the Alyssa story, I think one of the bad things about watching all these episodes in a short time is things are starting to get repetitive. I mean in the previous episode, we had Ivanova just be really angry and hateful and she should be. Well, she was kind of this way again. I know it's the character, but it's come to the point now where it's like "We know you hate Psy-corps, what else is new." I guess having her be a sarrogate mother to the girl was nice, for what it was.

Also, I've noticed G'Kar being quite absent in the last three episodes. I guess this was the time where Katsulas was filming All Good Things...
Old July 16 2009, 09:31 AM   #152
RoJoHen
Awesome

Season 1 Ivanova was really repetitive. I'm pretty sure by the end of Season 1 all you know about her is 1) she hates PsiCorps and 2) she's Russian. For a while, I was pretty sure that was all she was capable of talking about.
Old July 16 2009, 10:01 AM   #153
Reverend
Rear Admiral

A part of the problem was that season 1's airing order (which I'm reasonably sure is the DVD's order) was shifted around quite a bit for some reason I don't rightly recall. So you end up with thematically similar episodes appearing in succession when they're supposed to be much more spaced out.

For example I think this part of the season was supposed ot go: -
'Babylon Squared' -> 'Legacies' -> 'Grail' -> 'Signs and Portents' -> 'TKO' -> 'Eyes' -> 'The Quality of Mercy' -> 'Chrysalis'

That is according to the official chronology, anyway. Thankfully the episodes are mostly self contained so showing them out of order doesn't affect continuity and later as the show became more serialised the broadcast order had to be more in line with the events on the show.
One day I might try watching the first season in chronological order, but it'd take an awful lot of disc swapping!
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2009, 11:09 AM   #154
Neroon
Mod of balance

tomalak, one of the est resources tohave while you're watching the series is The Lurker's Guide to Babylon 5. Among other things, it had guide pages for each individual episode. On those pages you can find a wealth of information without spoiling yourself for future episodes. And there are warnings if what you're about to read does contain spoilage. One of the links somewhere on the site does show the original broadcast schedule. Even so, each guide page will show you the original air date just in case.
Found it!

Incidentally, regarding David Warner, have you ever watched "Tron"? There are two other B5 alumni who appear in the film as well, one who is obvious, and one who isn't so.
- Proverbs 12:20
Neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2009, 04:21 PM   #155
Mal
Rear Admiral

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
I liked Neroon and seeing the two great leaders at the end was a nice touch.
Neroon, "Perhaps there was some small wisdom in letting your people live."
Sinclair, "We like to think so."
As for the Alyssa story...
i think talia was mostly useless to the show.
Old July 16 2009, 04:39 PM   #156
Jan
Commodore

Also, I've noticed G'Kar being quite absent in the last three episodes. I guess this was the time where Katsulas was filming All Good Things...
Could be. But it might also be because for the first season especially, the number of episodes for Katsulas and Jurasik were contracted for may have been much smaller than in subsequent seasons. JMS has mentioned on occasion that he had to keep a chart so he knew which actors would be available to him. Makes sense, considering how large the pool of 'main' characters was and how small the budget was.

Jan
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2009, 06:50 PM   #157
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Season 1 Ivanova was really repetitive. I'm pretty sure by the end of Season 1 all you know about her is 1) she hates PsiCorps and 2) she's Russian. For a while, I was pretty sure that was all she was capable of talking about.
And her father died, that's come up a few times.

Neroon wrote: View Post
tomalak, one of the est resources tohave while you're watching the series is The Lurker's Guide to Babylon 5. Among other things, it had guide pages for each individual episode. On those pages you can find a wealth of information without spoiling yourself for future episodes. And there are warnings if what you're about to read does contain spoilage. One of the links somewhere on the site does show the original broadcast schedule. Even so, each guide page will show you the original air date just in case.
Found it!
I know about that guide. I've been the that site a few times and it's a great source of B5 information. Consider it bookmarked.
Old July 16 2009, 09:26 PM   #158
Kosh Naranek
Captain

Alyssa - Bless her heart but that little actress was dreadful.

However, this is the point where B5 realy took of for me and I knew I was in for the long haul. If her acting did not scare me away, what would?
Old July 16 2009, 09:34 PM   #159
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

Incidentally, regarding David Warner, have you ever watched "Tron"? There are two other B5 alumni who appear in the film as well, one who is obvious, and one who isn't so.
I saw Tron, but it was so long ago, like Early 90s. I probably should watch it again, especially if what I hear about the remake is true.
Old July 16 2009, 09:42 PM   #160
Harvey
Admiral

Remake? I thought we were getting a straight sequel called "TR2N."

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2009, 09:49 PM   #161
Admiral Jarok
Commander

I saw Tron, but it was so long ago, like Early 90s. I probably should watch it again, especially if what I hear about the remake is true.
If you do, look for one of the "programs" Flynn (Jeff Bridges) first meets when he enters the electronic world. It might be hard to tell who he is without his prominent hair.

And of course, there is the title character...
Old July 16 2009, 09:51 PM   #162
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
Remake? I thought we were getting a straight sequel called "TR2N."
I don't know. I kept on hearing remake but it could be a sequel. Long time for a sequel though. Hasn't it been like 20 years.

Just checked. Apparently it is a sequel.
Old July 16 2009, 10:27 PM   #163
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

Mal wrote: View Post
i think talia was mostly useless to the show.
That's putting it in a very kind way.
Old July 17 2009, 05:46 AM   #164
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

A Voice in the Wilderness

Since this is a two parter, I'm going to talk about it as one long episode.

I really liked this one. There was everything, a nice sci-fi type plot, some good Babylon 5 mythos, and a lot of good Humor in part one. Is it in my current top three? No, but it's probably in my top 5 of the season.

The reason it's not in the top three was because there was one question I had and couldn't shake off throughout the entire hour and half. Should this episode have come sooner? I mean the station was built, when, 2257 and it's been orbiting the planet ever since then. So given we're at the end of Season 1, meaning it's almost 2259, that's a good year and a half to 2 years of not seeing what is down on the planet your orbiting. I was hoping this episode would explain that little conundrum, but it really didn't. I know it's been mentioned that these episodes are out of order, but it's still quite a while between the building of the station and actually seeing what is down there.

With that being said, there were so many good things. That scifi story of the guardian and protector of the planet, Garibaldi's love interest (Which thanks alot credits for spoiling the ending but I thought Kemmer meant something to him as well), and the ambassadors (Again, no G'Kar, which makes it 5 in a row) going down to the planet. Delenn has gotten real interesting as the season has gone on. Helping her mentor find something in life was a very spiritual thing to do. Also loved the battle sequence, even though it's not as good as Signs and Portants and a Ron Canada guest star appearence is always good. Man that dude was busy in the 90s.

Anyway, there were a couple humorous things I also wanted to mention. I love Londo Mollari. I loved his thing in the bar with Mike, but I need to ask a question. Who does the Hokie Pokey these days. Man I haven't heard that song in years, and having it reintroduced on Babylon 5 was the last place I thought it would be. Another good bit was the Babylon 5 Mantra. Also, that's another thing I noticed as if this episode should have aired earlier in the season. Christian's hair was back to the beginning of the season look.

As for the Mars thing, that's been something that's been mentioned in passing but I've been kinda ignoring talking about it. I'm actually a bit confused on what is going on. You go from quartermaster/arm shipments to rebellion and that rebellion wasn't really that long. Can someone clear that plot point up.
Old July 17 2009, 05:52 AM   #165
Admiral Jarok
Commander

With regards to Epsilon 3:

I assumed that Earth Force or someone had done surveying on the planet, and they just didn't find anything. Since the Great Machine is very powerful, I'd think it had the ability to hide itself until the time was right, but it struck me as odd at first as well.

Plus the episode paves the way for one of my favorite characters...