A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 9 2009, 07:05 AM   #31
Hermiod
Admiral

Re: Mythbusters Does Star Trek ?

^There can't be a telepathic component to it - Data is able to do it.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2009, 12:23 PM   #32
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Messianni wrote: View Post
Hermiod wrote: View Post
Imahara has confirmed this is for Viewer Special 4 and not a Star Trek special.
Aww. Oh well, this will still be fun to see, though.
Not surprising since it's one of the few "myths" on trek that can be tested practically and involves real materials and, supposedly real physics.

I honestly can't think of anything else in all 11 movies and 5 tv shows that's even remotely close to being testable. One way or another they all involve some kind of fictional technology, material or physics.

I do wonder however exactly what aspect of the myth they're testing; if the cannon would work at all or if it could be done so quickly. Probably the former since the latter involves creating explosives with your bare hands in a hurry, which I imagine is an excellent way for someone to loose a finger or six.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2009, 12:28 PM   #33
Hermiod
Admiral

I do have one idea, though it's a bit obscure. In "Basics", after Lieutenant Hogan is killed Chakotay says he can take Hogan's uniform and somehow use that to provide water for the stranded crew.

I've always wondered how that is supposed to work.
Old July 9 2009, 02:28 PM   #34
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Lindley wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
jep316 wrote: View Post

No that would be a good back-up Myth to test..they could talk to Martial arts experts and Doctors to see if it could work..now how they would test it is another thing though I don't think trying it on "Buster" would work maybe Adam?.
Since it's supposedly an alien ability, it's kind of impossible to test all the parameters of the myth.
I've never seen anything to suggest there's a telepathic component to the pinch. It should just be a question of whether any particular combination of pressures on that nerve cluster could render one immediately unconscious.
It's clearly not an "alien ability" and certainly not one with a telepathic component. In TNG we've seen both Picard and DATA perform it.
Old July 9 2009, 02:56 PM   #35
Christopher
Writer

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Lindley wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post

Since it's supposedly an alien ability, it's kind of impossible to test all the parameters of the myth.
I've never seen anything to suggest there's a telepathic component to the pinch. It should just be a question of whether any particular combination of pressures on that nerve cluster could render one immediately unconscious.
It's clearly not an "alien ability" and certainly not one with a telepathic component. In TNG we've seen both Picard and DATA perform it.
What Picard did in "Starship Mine" was never stated to be a Vulcan nerve pinch, and according to the TNG Companion (p. 240), it was actually intended to be a carotid artery block. Here's the line from the actual script:
Devor springs back into a combat stance... but Picard is ready for him. He dodges, yanks him around in a hammer lock and wedges the side of his hand into Devor's carotid. Devor struggles for a second, then slumps.
As for Data, he is an alien. He's far more alien than a Vulcan is, because he's not even made of flesh and blood. There's also the fact that Spock was unable to teach the nerve pinch to Kirk no matter how hard he tried.

Even if we discount a psionic component because of Data, one thing that Data and Vulcans have in common is superhuman strength. The only way to test it would be to build one of Grant's robots to squeeze with superhuman strength, but that would be too dangerous to try on a person, and since we don't know what nerves the neck pinch is supposed to target, there'd be no way to test it.

Except on general principles. Calling it a "nerve pinch" in the first place is problematical. Putting physical pressure on nerves doesn't cause unconsciouness; as I know all too well, it mainly just causes pain. In some cases it can probably cause temporary paralysis. For unconsciousness, it's the blood vessels you need to affect. Carotid blocks and chops can knock a person out briefly by altering the blood flow to the brain.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2009, 03:13 PM   #36
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Well, in that case they shouldn't have much trouble "busting" it. It's not like Mythbusters hasn't "busted" myths after minimal and inapplicable testing plenty of times before.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2009, 04:02 PM   #37
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

What Picard did in "Starship Mine" was never stated to be a Vulcan nerve pinch, and according to the TNG Companion (p. 240), it was actually intended to be a carotid artery block. Here's the line from the actual script:
Well, I go by what is on screen and what's on screen looks like Picard delievers the Vulcan Nerve Pinch. And the fact that Spock thinks Kirk can be "taught" it suggests Spock knows that it's possible for anyone to do.
Old July 9 2009, 05:13 PM   #38
LitmusDragon
Commodore

Hermiod wrote: View Post
Hopefully this is part of a larger Star Trek special. Any ideas for other Star Trek myths they could do ? (Stuff they can actually test, not warp drive or transporters!!!!)
Something to do with caves maybe. "How likely is it that every alien world would would be festooned with caves" "... would look like southern California" "Are caves really an effective shield against photon torpedoes" OK so these are kind of stupid.

BTW that picture of Grant is awesome.
LitmusDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2009, 06:48 PM   #39
Christopher
Writer

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Well, I go by what is on screen and what's on screen looks like Picard delievers the Vulcan Nerve Pinch.
Not to me. The VNP works very quickly. What Picard does looks similar in terms of his hand position, but it clearly takes a lot longer to take effect.

And the fact that Spock thinks Kirk can be "taught" it suggests Spock knows that it's possible for anyone to do.
That doesn't follow. It only suggests that Spock thought at some point that it might be possible for a human as strong and fit as Kirk to be able to pull it off -- or, perhaps, that Kirk thought it might be possible and ordered Spock to try to teach it to him even though Spock told him it was unlikely to work. Remember, the actual dialogue indicated that Spock had tried to teach Kirk the pinch and failed. And since he said "I have tried," that suggests more than one attempt.

Old July 9 2009, 07:44 PM   #40
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Didn't Archer pull off a pinch when he had Surak's katra? It's been a while but I vaguely recall that. Anyway, according to the lore, Nimoy said something to the effect of it just being a matter of pressure on the right places, based on the idea of Spock's expert knowledge of biological anatomy. Since he's the one that made up the move, I think it fair he gets a say.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2009, 07:48 PM   #41
Hermiod
Admiral

^Yes, he did.

However, there was a show I watched years ago where Leonard Nimoy talked about his memories of being in Star Trek. IIRC, he seemed to think there was a telepathic component but that was before we ever saw Picard, Data or Archer do it.
Old July 9 2009, 08:46 PM   #42
Christopher
Writer

^All this proves is that it's far too vaguely and inconsistently defined to be testable, even if it were possible to test it safely.

If we want something Vulcan-related for the Mythbusters to test, how about the idea that pointed ears improve your hearing in a thin atmosphere? That might be testable with latex ear appliances or artificial ears.

Old July 9 2009, 09:18 PM   #43
Harvey
Admiral

Why would we test the Vulcan Nerve pinch? Do we have any Vulcans around? It was made up by Nimoy on the day of shooting! It's not as if any serious scientific thought went behind it.

I do look forward to seeing the "Arena" myth tested. Should be fun. I wonder if the gun will fire, or simply explode?

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2009, 07:55 PM   #44
Hermiod
Admiral

I'll let the picture do the talking.
Old July 10 2009, 09:10 PM   #45
LitmusDragon
Commodore