Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old August 31 2009, 05:01 PM   #646
Kestra
Vice Admiral

Re: What Did You Have For Dinner Last Night?

Holdfast wrote: View Post
Kestra wrote: View Post
A "Plain Jane" from Jason's Deli. I only ate a fourth of it and I'm pretty sure I've had enough calories for the rest of the week. But wow, yum!
2300 calories in the whole thing according to the site's info. I think we've discovered the reason Jane looked so plain.

What on Earth do they put in the toppings on that potato, and how do they grow them so massive in the first place? I suspect steroids...
They get the potatoes from Idaho and actually do it so it's like a potato and a half.

Also, toppings? It's pretty much butter and cheese with a side of potato.
Old August 31 2009, 05:32 PM   #647
Mallory

One pound (or larger) potatoes are not unusual here in the States Holdfast.
Old August 31 2009, 06:13 PM   #648
Cakes488
Commodore

View Cakes488's Twitter Profile

Well on the positive side of losing my job...which I still can't beleive I'm one of the "unemployed"...I won't be eating much anymore...finally lose that last 5lbs at least.....so until I get a job I'll be eating nothing for dinner.
Old August 31 2009, 07:01 PM   #649
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

I'm a big fan of Mexican food. Oddly, I sort of avoided fish tacos for the longest time. They just sounded ... not right somehow. Then, The Hubby tried this recipe and I was bowled over.
I always liked Mexican food, but it tended to be more Americanized, with the few exceptions of when we went to authentic type restaurants.

My wife ate Mexican food like there's no tomorrow growing up. So she helped expand my horizons beyond tacos and burritos. I too thought fish tacos sounded weird. But she originally is from the west coast where I think it's a lot more popular.

I guess the thing is that I was expecting your standard Old El Paso tacos with fish instead of ground beef. When in reality, the sauces and seasonings are totally different. I'm 'hooked' at this point, if you'll excuse the bad pun.

For what it's worth, this is the book we've been using for ideas lately. http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Mod...0768651/?itm=1
It has nice, authentic looking recipes with ingredients you can usually find.

I know what you mean about the heavy "fall" fare not working well in the summer. But, I do love the fall woods. Which is why I've got the roast in the crock pot right now (ended up not making it Saturday.) We've definitely got the weather for it today. At least this morning when I had the dogs in the park, it certainly felt fall like.
Yeah, in the cooler weather, we never have problems figuring out something to make. Various soups, chilis, stews, stuffed pasta, etc. And those are all great because they make leftovers.

In the summer, it's a lot of salads, sandwiches, eggs sometimes. Stuff that is light and quick to prep. They don't keep so well, and we run out of ideas quick.
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2009, 07:54 AM   #650
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Had BBQ Chicken with a squash salad with potatoes and green beans, it was declious.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2009, 02:57 PM   #651
LeahBoBo
Commander

Location: Dancing the Viennese Waltz on moonbeams with Legolas

Barbecue chicken, cabbage, salad of spring greens.
LeahBoBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2009, 08:20 PM   #652
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

Pretty decent four seasons pizza I got from Waitrose while getting the rest of my grocery shopping after work. First time I've bought a supermarket pizza in about 5 years or so, but it wasn't half bad really.
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2009, 08:41 PM   #653
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

^They've really come along in recent years. DiGiorno's and other ones like that are a far improvement over those Elio's carboard pizzas with waxy cheese from my youth.
Old September 2 2009, 09:37 PM   #654
Theodore Jay Miller
Commodore

Gaspacho, rotisserie chicken, sauteed spinach, and roast potato, all bought from Freshdirect.com
Theodore Jay Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2009, 09:47 PM   #655
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

SmoothieX wrote: View Post
^They've really come along in recent years. DiGiorno's and other ones like that are a far improvement over those Elio's carboard pizzas with waxy cheese from my youth.
I don't know, I still wouldn't buy a frozen one, though I'll take your word that they've improved. This one was a fresh one rather than a frozen one (just needed quick cooking in the oven when I got home), so I figured I'd give it a go. Yeah, it was OK. Go figure.

Amusingly, it came with a little miniature bottle of anchovy & olive dressing to sprinkle on top after cooking. I'm guessing it was separate so you could avoid having the anchovies if you're not a fan. Quite a cute touch for a supermarket pizza.
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2009, 09:47 PM   #656
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

My wife is out of town for work for a few days. We had picked out chili as one of the dinners we would make this week when we went grocery shopping.

Since she is not here though, I can make 5-alarm, devil's breath, melt your tongue kind of chili.

I like to use a variety of fresh peppers, and some chipotles in adobo sauce in lieu of dried chili powder. Then when I serve it sprinkle some grated pepperjack cheese on it.

Usually I have to make it kind of bland to suit the mrs. and dump some hot sauce in it to fire mine up, so this is good.
Old September 3 2009, 05:48 PM   #657
TrekkieMonster
Commodore

I'm a big fan of Mexican food. Oddly, I sort of avoided fish tacos for the longest time. They just sounded ... not right somehow. Then, The Hubby tried this recipe and I was bowled over.
I always liked Mexican food, but it tended to be more Americanized, with the few exceptions of when we went to authentic type restaurants.

My wife ate Mexican food like there's no tomorrow growing up. So she helped expand my horizons beyond tacos and burritos. I too thought fish tacos sounded weird. But she originally is from the west coast where I think it's a lot more popular.

I guess the thing is that I was expecting your standard Old El Paso tacos with fish instead of ground beef. When in reality, the sauces and seasonings are totally different. I'm 'hooked' at this point, if you'll excuse the bad pun.

For what it's worth, this is the book we've been using for ideas lately. http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Mod...0768651/?itm=1
It has nice, authentic looking recipes with ingredients you can usually find.
Yeah, I think you're right about the west coast influence. I grew up in the Pacific NorthWest, but also lived in California. Obviously, there's a lot of Mexican food and influenced food in Cali, but it also seemed to have trickled up to Oregon by the time I came along, both fast food and more "authentic" fare. I have to admit, there's a part of me that still likes the "Americanized Mexican food" sometimes (by that I mean burritos, tacos, chimichangas but not chain fast Mexican food.), but the Authentic stuff will get me every time. I had a great Mexican-American Spanish teacher in High School. He and his wife would have the "honor students" over for dinner occasionally and man the stuff they served us!!! I can still taste "Mrs. G's" mole and hot green salsa.

But I digress ....

Thanks for the link to the cookbook. I think I'm gonna have to pick that up!

This is going to sound lame, but I've gotten so spoiled over the years. I make pizza sauce and freeze it in single serving sizes. I like to make pizza dough when I have time (whole wheat, usually), but you can also buy it in the bakery section of most stores. And, seriously, with the store bought crust and your own sauce, a package of "pizza mix" cheese from the dairy section and a few choice ingredients, you can have a really good pizza in about the same time it takes to cook a frozen store-bought one, and it is 10 times better. This time of year, I make them on the grill, and it works like a charm. Give it a try sometime, I bet you'll be hooked.

My wife is out of town for work for a few days. We had picked out chili as one of the dinners we would make this week when we went grocery shopping.

Since she is not here though, I can make 5-alarm, devil's breath, melt your tongue kind of chili.

I like to use a variety of fresh peppers, and some chipotles in adobo sauce in lieu of dried chili powder. Then when I serve it sprinkle some grated pepperjack cheese on it.

Usually I have to make it kind of bland to suit the mrs. and dump some hot sauce in it to fire mine up, so this is good.
Now that sounds like my kinda chili. I love making chili, and it's perfect for this time of year. Nothin' like football and chili. I usually have to tone mine down, though, for most people. You sound like a man after my own heart.

Oh, and I should mention, one of the key ingredients in The Hubby's fish tacos is a condiment made with sour cream and chipotles in adobo sauce (among other things), as well as a cilantro lime marinade. Love the chipotles in adobo, but they'll blow the top of your head off if you're not careful. Just the way I like it.

LOL! And I just realized, this is a SmothieX multi-quote fest.

Oh, and finally, I did make the aforementioned merlot pot roast and horseradish mashed potatoes Wednesday night. Made stirfry last night, and it was wicked good, if I do say so myself.

The Hubby's turn to cook tonight. We'll see if it's worth reporting on.
Old September 3 2009, 06:56 PM   #658
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

LOL! And I just realized, this is a SmothieX multi-quote fest.
Cool! Just the ego trip I need!

The chili was good last night. I got an assortment of mild to hot chiles from the Stop & Shop and roasted them up, skinned 'em, and diced 'em. I went all out and instead of using chop meat, cubed up a steak into little pieces.

Browned the meat and an onion, threw in 3 cans of assorted beans, couple cans of diced tomatoes, and a can of hominy. I let it simmer for a bit so the flavors would mingle, then just spiced it to taste.

It came out well, but the diced peppers kidna ended up in pockets together. You'd get a nice bite with some heat to it, followed by a mouthful of lava in the next spoonful. Oh well.

I'm paying for all the chiles today though...

I don't need to cook for the rest of the week as I have enough leftovers to hold me over until the wife gets back on Sunday.

I still can't believe they scheduled a conference over Labor Day weekend. I could see it if it were international, and holidays are different, but who the hell wants to sit in a Minneapolis conference center over the unofficial end of summer holiday weekend.
Old September 3 2009, 06:57 PM   #659
An Officer
Vice Admiral

I experimented a little bit the night before last and made this:

I seasoned basmati rice with a hint of cardamon, cloves, and cinnamon, then topped it off with sauteed new potatoes, red peppers, and onions. Came out surprisingly good.
Old September 3 2009, 06:59 PM   #660
Zion Ravescene
is doing this now

Pasta salad with a hint of chili. It's really the only thing I crave nowadays.
Zion Ravescene is offline   Reply With Quote