New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old July 2 2009, 03:57 AM   #1
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

Concerning Continuity and Story Ideas

I must admit, my sketchbooks are choc full of Trek-story ideas that were, literally, inspired by observations of contradictions (big and small) of continuity between the Trek-novels: sometimes with canon, more times with each other.

See, it goes like this: I come across a contradiction in a book (such as Dark Mirror, which has the Terran Empire survive into the TNG era), stop short, and rack my brain for a possible explanation. And...if the rationalization is interesting enough, it piques my interest even more--and I reach for the notebook and jot it down....

Anyone else face that sort of situation--where an error leads to a story?

"Forget it, Jake...it's Chinatown."
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2009, 04:18 AM   #2
Christopher
Writer

Re: Concerning Continuity and Story Ideas

Just a reminder: no discussion of specific story ideas here, please, unless they're published professional works.

A lot of Trek literature has been inspired by the wish to resolve inconsistencies in the canon. My DS9 Prophecy and Change story was written to explain why Quark's Klingon girlfriend disappeared after he won her heart. My VGR Distant Shores story was partly done to explain why the Doctor would go along with B'Elanna's self-destructive wishes in "Barge of the Dead." In Greater Than the Sum, I tackled a number of inconsistencies in how the Borg have been portrayed and worked out a way to explain them. Other writers have done the same. Much of the String Theory trilogy is about addressing inconsistencies in VGR, for example.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2009, 04:32 AM   #3
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

It is just a load of continuity navel-gazing and never results in anything worth reading.
Old July 2 2009, 04:42 AM   #4
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

Just a reminder: no discussion of specific story ideas here, please, unless they're published professional works.
Ah, technically, I didn't say what my solution was, per se, but...I get the point.

Thanks, Chris. I'll be more careful in the future.

Old July 2 2009, 04:44 AM   #5
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

It is just a load of continuity navel-gazing and never results in anything worth reading.
Indeed? Well, personally, I find Chris's books quite interesting....

BTW, Chris, wasn't Ex Machina hailed by the critics as explaining some conflicting things in canon and the books?

Old July 2 2009, 11:17 AM   #6
Geoff
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to Geoff Send a message via Yahoo to Geoff

Rush Limborg wrote: View Post
Given the core motivations behind Steve's own story The Future Begins, I must assume that he's being a wee bit facetious.

Blog me, baby!
Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2009, 07:12 PM   #7
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Geoff wrote: View Post
Given the core motivations behind Steve's own story The Future Begins, I must assume that he's being a wee bit facetious.
Yeah, he's clearly joking around.
Old July 2 2009, 07:21 PM   #8
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

^OH, REALLY!

(Jack Sparrow voice) Well...that's interesting....

Old July 2 2009, 09:20 PM   #9
T'Ressa Dax
Captain

I must admit, my sketchbooks are choc full of Trek-story ideas that were, literally, inspired by observations of contradictions (big and small) of continuity between the Trek-novels: sometimes with canon, more times with each other.

See, it goes like this: I come across a contradiction in a book (such as Dark Mirror, which has the Terran Empire survive into the TNG era), stop short, and rack my brain for a possible explanation. And...if the rationalization is interesting enough, it piques my interest even more--and I reach for the notebook and jot it down....

Anyone else face that sort of situation--where an error leads to a story?

Not really. And I decided there's an alternate universe in which the Empire survived to the 24th century, and one in which it didn't, so there's no contradiction. Can do do the same with all of them - they're all slightly different universes diverging just a bit at different points.
Old July 3 2009, 02:14 AM   #10
JD
Admiral

^That explanaition works fine for me too, plus we've already seen alternate Mirror Universes where there is still an Empire. In Fearfull Symmetry, when Sisko was talking to the alternate versions of himself, there was a Fleet Captain Sisko from a Terran Empire. Then in Q&A, there was an ISS Enterprise with Lore as Picard's First Officer.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2009, 08:48 PM   #11
T'Ressa Dax
Captain

Exactly.
Old July 3 2009, 11:12 PM   #12
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

^Good point.

Just bringin' up a random "conflict"....

Old July 4 2009, 01:13 PM   #13
Jbarney
Commander

Good question. It is always nice when the writers expand and explain. It provides a lot od depth to the universe.