RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,693
Members: 24,208
Currently online: 769
Newest member: meshman63

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old July 3 2009, 11:51 AM   #1
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Will Murray Gold continue?

Hi, does anybody know if MG will keep doing the score for the upcoming series?
I'm listening to the fantastic 4th series score right know (Doctor's goosebump theme playing) and I almost can't imagine the show without this style of music.

Or will they change the style so completely that they also hire(d) a new composer?
Timelord Victorious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2009, 12:50 PM   #2
Lonemagpie
Writer

Re: Will Murray Gold continue?

Dunno, but if they get somebody new, I'd nominate Jesper Kyd

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2009, 03:00 PM   #3
Starkers
Admiral

I think they should keep him, all I ask is that occasionally they turn the music down so I can hear what the characters are saying

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2009, 03:24 PM   #4
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Hopefully, Wenger and Moffat can hire a composer based in Cardiff, or who can visit Cardiff frequently to properly spot the music during post. Gold's scores were sometimes subject to brutal edits to make a piece fit the scene. I would also like a composer who can write for the scene, rather than a composer who writes movements that are then plugged into the scene. (The third season is, I think, particularly egregious in that regard. It's one thing to have recurring motifs across a string of episodes. It's something else entirely to have what is clearly the same performance of music chopped to fit multiple episodes and multiple scenes. See "Utopia" for the worst example.)
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2009, 06:22 PM   #5
Tom
Rear Admiral

Gold is one of the best things to ever happen to the series, he has brought a very epic feel to the whole thing and it would be a crime to lose him.
Old July 3 2009, 11:22 PM   #6
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Hopefully, Wenger and Moffat can hire a composer based in Cardiff, or who can visit Cardiff frequently to properly spot the music during post. Gold's scores were sometimes subject to brutal edits to make a piece fit the scene.
I have to wonder how much of that is Gold not being able to make it there to see things, and how much is simply the production not finishing things in a timely manner? While some TV shows like Stargate seem to be pretty good about getting final or mostly-final edits to the composers, I think that's the exception and not the norm.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2009, 07:05 AM   #7
Timby
I AM the League of Mallows...

Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2009, 07:08 AM   #8
Sci
Admiral

I hope they keep Gold on.

Though I will admit that that cartoon is hysterical.
Old July 4 2009, 08:19 AM   #9
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Although occasionally I have reservations about Gold's music or the way it's worked into the show, I think he was fundamentally the right composer for the RTD era. If Moffat thinks he's also right for the new vision of the show, great; if not, a new composer is the way to go.
Old July 4 2009, 08:23 AM   #10
Sci
Admiral

See, in some ways, to me, Gold's music is the heart and soul of the show in a way that even the showrunner is not. It is, after all, literally the only thing aside from the presence of the TARDIS that's been constant in every episode of the series. Without Gold, I really don't know if it will still be Doctor Who for me.

And I literally don't think Gold has ever made a mistake. His scores for even the low points of the series -- "Daleks in Manhattan"/"Evolution of the Daleks" -- were wonderful.
Old July 4 2009, 08:41 AM   #11
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

I think Doctor Who is evolving as it should when it no longer feels like Doctor Who to devoted fans.

There aren't a whole lot of people who like the RTD era more than I do. Nothing is ever flawless, but I love the past four-plus years' worth of the show about as much as I've loved any fiction in any medium. Steven Moffat's brilliant and I have no doubt that he'll make wonderful Doctor Who, but it's unlikely that I'll feel the same way about it that I do about Davies' version. And yet, I welcome the change, because it's what Doctor Who needs. As always, there will be people who don't like what it becomes, who drift away from the programme, but new people will come in in their place, and the show will have a new lease of life. There's a reason they're calling Steven Moffat's first year "series one."

I'm sure Doctor Who like it is now could run for a few more years easily. But, as RTD said in an SFX interview last year, what's the point of that? The format is indefinitely sustainable, if you treat it right. It's bigger than any one set of fans. Part of the reason Doctor Who fandom is so divided is that most people have one era they prize above the others, the era they think of as proper Doctor Who, the era against which everything that comes after is judged and found wanting. I'll try my damnedest not to, but I have no doubt I'll use the RTD years as a yardstick in judging Moffat's programme. It's all part of the cycle.
Old July 4 2009, 12:12 PM   #12
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Sci wrote: View Post
See, in some ways, to me, Gold's music is the heart and soul of the show in a way that even the showrunner is not. It is, after all, literally the only thing aside from the presence of the TARDIS that's been constant in every episode of the series. Without Gold, I really don't know if it will still be Doctor Who for me.
Even I know there came a time when Gold wasn't around you know, like from 1963 to 1989

I'm glad Gold was around, he gave us great songs like "This is Gallifrey Our home, Our Childhood" and "Doomsday"
Also Matt Smith deserves at least one "MURRAY GOLD!!!!!" moment

Starkers wrote: View Post
all I ask is that occasionally they turn the music down so I can hear what the characters are saying
It's worst when Tennant mumbles

10th- mumble mumble not from this planet.

*runs hand through hair*

*Fires of Pompei*
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2009, 02:36 PM   #13
Starkers
Admiral

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Sci wrote: View Post
Even I know there came a time when Gold wasn't around you know, like from 1963 to 1989

I'm glad Gold was around, he gave us great songs like "This is Gallifrey Our home, Our Childhood" and "Doomsday"
Also Matt Smith deserves at least one "MURRAY GOLD!!!!!" moment

Starkers wrote: View Post
all I ask is that occasionally they turn the music down so I can hear what the characters are saying
It's worst when Tennant mumbles

10th- mumble mumble not from this planet.

*runs hand through hair*

*Fires of Pompei*
This is true...and it isn't just the new series guilty of it, I watched Seeds of Death for the first time a few months ago and the soundtrack is really LOUD!

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2009, 02:48 PM   #14
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
I'm sure Doctor Who like it is now could run for a few more years easily. But, as RTD said in an SFX interview last year, what's the point of that? The format is indefinitely sustainable, if you treat it right.
That sounds like a contradiction in terms--the format is indefinitely sustainable, if you change the format?

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2009, 03:09 PM   #15
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

ATimson wrote: View Post
Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
I'm sure Doctor Who like it is now could run for a few more years easily. But, as RTD said in an SFX interview last year, what's the point of that? The format is indefinitely sustainable, if you treat it right.
That sounds like a contradiction in terms--the format is indefinitely sustainable, if you change the format?
The format is indefinitely sustainable, if you change everything but the premise.