RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 145,534
Members: 25,798
Currently online: 577
Newest member: JE Smith

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old July 2 2009, 04:52 PM   #1
Steve Roby
Commodore

New Alan Dean Foster Star Trek novel?

From the GeekDad blog at Wired:

Me: I read on your website about a follow-up Star Trek novel you’ll be working on. Is there any more word on that?
ADF: I signed the contract, so that’s a go. At least the first step is a go. The second step is for Pocket Books and Paramount to approve the outline. They wanted an outline. Sometimes when I’m asked to do a book, I just get a book contract for two books or three books or whatever. Sometimes they’ll ask for a very brief synopsis of what the general idea is. Not even so much for the editor. The editors are generally satisfied at this point that I’m going to do what I say I’m going to do. But they have to present something to marketing so that marketing has something to promote from the get go. So marketing will want a description. It’s obviously different with a novelization where you have a film studio involved, sometimes somebody else, like in this case, Hasbro. They want to know what you’re going to do with their franchise. There is a lot more riding on it than just a book by me that’s going to be published. So I did a fairly extensive outline for the book which has the tentative title of “Star Trek: Refugees” which I can’t explain without giving anything away. I mean, I just signed the contract. But hopefully the outline will be approved since the book is due in October.
I wonder if they just scooped one of the big Shore Leave announcements...
Steve Roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2009, 05:25 PM   #2
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: New Alan Dean Foster Star Trek novel?

With that title, I wonder if it's a sequel to the film.
Allyn Gibson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2009, 05:31 PM   #3
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
With that title, I wonder if it's a sequel to the film.
That'd be my first guess.

The prospect of a new ADF Trek novel is very welcome, IMO.
Old July 2 2009, 05:40 PM   #4
JAG
Vice Admiral

This sounds very interesting. Happy to see him back again.
Old July 2 2009, 06:35 PM   #5
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

I thought the novelization was pretty intensely useless, actually, so I'm not as happy about this, but I suppose we'll see. I haven't read any non-novelizations by ADF except his Star Wars one, The Approaching Storm I think, which was fairly awful.

I'd rather some of the old hands take a crack at nuTrek, especially Christopher.

Last edited by Thrawn; July 2 2009 at 06:46 PM.
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2009, 06:58 PM   #6
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Thrawn wrote: View Post
I thought the novelization was pretty intensely useless, actually, so I'm not as happy about this, but I suppose we'll see. I haven't read any non-novelizations by ADF except his Star Wars one, The Approaching Storm I think, which was fairly awful.

I'd rather some of the old hands take a crack at nuTrek, especially Christopher.
Waste a precious Christopher Bennett book slot on the new continuity when he could have been working on the Prime continuity? The Deranged Nasat froths and rages at the suggestion.
Old July 2 2009, 07:23 PM   #7
William Leisner
Scribbler

View William Leisner's Twitter Profile

Hold on... Not Foster, but Bennett... because Bennett is an "old hand"??

Dude. If you want an "old hand," you go with DeCandido! You go with Ward! Guys who have been at this tie-in game since the 1990s!! I mean, come on...
William Leisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2009, 07:38 PM   #8
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

William Leisner wrote: View Post
Hold on... Not Foster, but Bennett... because Bennett is an "old hand"??

Dude. If you want an "old hand," you go with DeCandido! You go with Ward! Guys who have been at this tie-in game since the 1990s!! I mean, come on...
Sorry, I phrased that badly, I'm well aware of how long ADF has been at this game

I meant one of the authors that has already shown a proven ability to deepen characterizations and flesh out continuity, both of which I think are necessary following the film. ADF did neither of those things in his novelization, and CLB's Ex Machina is basically the poster child for how to do them right.
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2009, 07:40 PM   #9
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

All joking aside, if there's any "current" author who I'd like to see tackle nuTrek, it would be Ward & Dilmore. Those two are obviously jonesing to write a proper 5YM-era novel, and yet no one's ever let them do it. (I guess this wouldn't be it, either, but it would be plenty close.)
Old July 2 2009, 07:48 PM   #10
Steve Roby
Commodore

I meant one of the authors that has already shown a proven ability to deepen characterizations and flesh out continuity, both of which I think are necessary following the film. ADF did neither of those things in his novelization, and CLB's Ex Machina is basically the poster child for how to do them right.
And yet he did a lot of that stuff in the Logs books, when he had time to actually do so. (I say that as someone who thought the movie novelization read like a rush job and was one of the less satisfying Trek movie adaptations.) He'll have more time to write Refugees than he had to wrote the novelization, so it's not really fair to base on any assumptions about the former on the latter.
Steve Roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2009, 07:52 PM   #11
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

I've enjoyed his non-Media-Based work. His Humanx Commonwealth stories (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanx_Commonwealth) are a lot of fun and worth a look if you've not read them.

As for Foster on Trek: I really liked the way he fleshed-out the TAS stories in his Log series back in the '70s. I'm hoping he'll write more than one book in the nuTrek continuity and flesh-out these versions of the characters the same way.
Old July 2 2009, 07:54 PM   #12
DarkHorizon
Captain

ADF: I signed the contract, so that’s a go. At least the first step is a go. The second step is for Pocket Books and Paramount to approve the outline. They wanted an outline. [...] So I did a fairly extensive outline for the book which has the tentative title of “Star Trek: Refugees” which I can’t explain without giving anything away. I mean, I just signed the contract. But hopefully the outline will be approved since the book is due in October.
Such a short lead time does not exactly fill me with confidence - three months is not much longer than what he had for the novelization, and I wasn't particularly impressed by that...

I imagine this would either be out concurrent with the DVD release, or maybe Christmas.
Old July 2 2009, 07:54 PM   #13
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

Speaking of the Logs, I'm launching a campaign to bring back the wily Commander Kumara right here, right now!
Old July 2 2009, 07:56 PM   #14
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Steve Mollmann wrote: View Post
Speaking of the Logs, I'm launching a campaign to bring back the wily Commander Kumara right here, right now!
Did you noticed that Kumarra got name-checked in the movie novelization?

EDit to Add: Whoops, mis-remembered that. It's another familiar Klingon name that gets mention, not Kumarra. Sorry.

Last edited by Mysterion; July 2 2009 at 08:48 PM.
Mysterion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2009, 07:57 PM   #15
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Steve Mollmann wrote: View Post
I'm sure he'd only be Lieutenant Kumara at the timeframe of the film.

Assuming, of course, that Refugees is set in the new film's continuity.
Allyn Gibson is online now   Reply With Quote