Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 2 2009, 03:59 PM   #31
Mistral
Vice Admiral

Re: FARSCAPE returning to DVD!!!

Can't find squat in my neck of the woods so this is great news.

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2009, 06:17 PM   #32
ClayinCA
Commodore

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Oh, hell yes. I bought the very first Farscape DVD that came with the first two episodes, but then I stopped after that when I realized it would cost way too much to buy the whole series. Then I missed out on the Starburst Editions. Farscape is one of my favorite shows of all time, so this is a definite buy for me.
I'm in exactly the same boat, Skywalker, though I did pick up The Peacekeeper Wars used at Blockbuster once. I can't wait for this release - hope it's at least somewhat affordable!
ClayinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2009, 07:31 PM   #33
Aurian
Vice Admiral

*Starts the process of convincing the boyfriend we really need this series on DVD*
Old July 2 2009, 07:41 PM   #34
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Is there any possibility of a Blu-Ray release? I know one hasn't been announced, but are there any technical obstacles to such a thing?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2009, 07:59 PM   #35
Harvey
Admiral

Depends what resolution the visual effects were originally rendered at.

I know the first three seasons were shot on 35mm in a 1.33:1 aspect ratio (full screen). The final season was shot in a 1.78:1 aspect ratio (widescreen). I believe it was still filmed in 35mm, not on High Definition Video, but I could be wrong. This doesn't really matter--35mm has many times the resolution of HD.

It's possible the first three seasons were protected for a widescreen frame, but I'm not sure if they were (and the visual effects probably weren't prepared for such a frame, and would have to either be cropped or redone if these seasons were made available in widescreen).

Ultimately, it is the visual effects that will mean if Farscape is ready for an easy transfer to HD or not.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2009, 08:08 PM   #36
coolghoul
Fleet Captain

I know that the announcement was about the DVD release. But my q is about A&E having the rights - does this mean that the A&E channel will start doing Farscape reruns?

It's been a while since I saw that.
Old July 2 2009, 09:19 PM   #37
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Harvey wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Harvey wrote: View Post
they're on the dreaded double sided discs
Dreaded? Why?
Quality control problems. The double sided discs have skipping issues, and many shipped damaged. Although ADV is no saint of DVD releases, they're not the only ones who have run into trouble with double sided DVDs. I was somewhat lucky--only "DNA Mad Scientist" has any playback issues. The single sided DVDs have a far better track record.
I can relate. I had the same problem with any double sided disk that came from Universal. Curiously though, I have many double siders from Warner's and, with one minor exception, have never had a problem with those.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2009, 09:30 PM   #38
Harvey
Admiral

My double sided DVDs of The West Wing (season 1-3) from Warner Bros. have been less than perfect, especially over time. I had problems with the few HD-DVD/DVD combo discs I came across before that format sputtered out, too. I think it's just some sort of manufacturing problem with the double sided discs that hasn't been solved.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2009, 11:46 PM   #39
LitmusDragon
Commodore

Oh thank goodness. I never thought that I'd get to see this show. I picked up the first few disks from Netflix and loved them, but the second half of season one was perpetually missing. Finally, FINALLY I'll be able to see this.
LitmusDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2009, 11:51 PM   #40
Skywalker
Admiral

LitmusDragon wrote: View Post
Oh thank goodness. I never thought that I'd get to see this show. I picked up the first few disks from Netflix and loved them, but the second half of season one was perpetually missing. Finally, FINALLY I'll be able to see this.
If you thought the first half of season one was great, just wait until seasons two and three. The show really started to come into its own in the latter half of S1, but S2-3 are amazing.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2009, 11:54 PM   #41
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Osiris Aten wrote: View Post
zakkrusz wrote: View Post
I already bought the 4 boxes myself, so I've got the series as well. Frell, this always happens. I finally break down and buy some series because it's about to go extinct on me and then once I do that some brand new rerelease comes out.
Same happened to me. I've been buying the used dvds as I haven't been able to find new editions & then this happens. Luckily, I do not have S.1 yet, and so will have to get that *new*
This is the only place on the internet that still has them that I've found.
Old July 3 2009, 01:23 AM   #42
Goji
Rear Admiral

I don't need to buy this, since I have all of ADV's original releases. But it's somehow comforting to know that one of my favorite series will be available again for new fans to purchase.

Also, I've never had any problems with my double sided discs, though I don't have that many. Maybe I've just gotten lucky.
Old July 3 2009, 02:07 AM   #43
USS Kongo
Fleet Captain

View USS Kongo's Twitter Profile

This is great news.

I've never bought Farscape on DVD--even though I loved it--because the original release was done so half-assed. It'll be great to just buy the entire series in one fell swoop.

Thanks for the heads up.

Sean
USS Kongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2009, 03:14 AM   #44
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Michael Chris wrote: View Post
I guess it depends on the packaging. The two complete series that my family has are both packaged very nicely (Friends and The Twilight Zone).
If it's the same Friends set I have, the 10 season sets in a nice box with the clear plastic door, then that's a fine way to do it.
Like I said, the SG1 set with all the discs in this accordion style thing, is a major pain.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2009, 03:20 AM   #45
Michael Chris
Admiral

No, that's the limited edition version. I have the later one.