RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,383
Posts: 5,357,507
Members: 24,626
Currently online: 614
Newest member: suryaprabu02

TrekToday headlines

The Gene Roddenberry Project Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Moore: No Deep Space Nine Regrets
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 30 2009, 10:27 PM   #1
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral
 
Spot's Meow's Avatar
 
Location: California
Wii Controller Questions

Alright, these questions should be relatively easy to answer but I can't test them myself because I don't yet have a Wii.

I am planning on buying a Wii soon and I have some questions about what accessories are really necessary.

I'll mention that I already own Gamecube controllers and I know that they will work with the Wii. Is this only true for Gamecube games that you are playing on the Wii, or for new Wii games as well?

I know you can use them for Mario Kart...is it possible, in multiplayer mode, to have one person using the wheel and one person using a Gamecube controller, or do you have to use the same controller type when you are playing together?

Is it really necessary to buy another nunchuck? Some people have said yes and some have said no. It seems like the nunchuck is mostly used for single-player games, is this the wrong impression?

What are the Zapper or the Nyko gun really needed for?

Can all of the games you get through Virtual Console be played using the Gamecube controller? If so, I am assuming it is not necessary to get the "Wii Classic Controller." If you want to play an SNES game, would using the Gamecube controller be difficult?

How important is it to have a charge station?

And my last question, was that enough questions?
__________________
Time present and time past
are both perhaps present in time future.
And time future contained in time past.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2009, 11:42 PM   #2
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
Re: Wii Controller Questions

I'll answer what I can. Pretend you numbered your questions to make it easier for lazy me

1. You can use GCN controllers for some wii games, but not others

2. You can have people use GCN controllers or Wiimotes. Unfortunately, the GCN controller is much easier to use than the wheel mode wiimote, so the person with the wiimote is at a disadvantage

3. It depends on the game. Nunchuck is used in some multiplayer games and most singleplayer. Even in Wii Play, Tanks uses a nunchuck. My favorite wiimote Smash Bros configuration uses a nunchuck. Probably a couple of Mario Party minigames uses one as well.

4. No idea

5. No idea

6. It's a good idea because it doesn't waste batteries. Up to you, though.

7. You can never ask too many questions
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2009, 11:52 PM   #3
The Fatman
Captain
 
The Fatman's Avatar
 
Location: Buffalo, NY
Send a message via AIM to The Fatman
Re: Wii Controller Questions

Spot's Meow wrote: View Post
Alright, these questions should be relatively easy to answer but I can't test them myself because I don't yet have a Wii.

I am planning on buying a Wii soon and I have some questions about what accessories are really necessary.

I'll mention that I already own Gamecube controllers and I know that they will work with the Wii. Is this only true for Gamecube games that you are playing on the Wii, or for new Wii games as well?

I know you can use them for Mario Kart...is it possible, in multiplayer mode, to have one person using the wheel and one person using a Gamecube controller, or do you have to use the same controller type when you are playing together?

Is it really necessary to buy another nunchuck? Some people have said yes and some have said no. It seems like the nunchuck is mostly used for single-player games, is this the wrong impression?

What are the Zapper or the Nyko gun really needed for?

Can all of the games you get through Virtual Console be played using the Gamecube controller? If so, I am assuming it is not necessary to get the "Wii Classic Controller." If you want to play an SNES game, would using the Gamecube controller be difficult?

How important is it to have a charge station?

And my last question, was that enough questions?
1) Gamecube controllers are MOSTLY for GC/Virtual Console games, but as you mentioned, there are some Wii titles that support it. They are few and far between,however, and it should mention on the box if you can use the GC controller.

2) In Mario Kart, all 4 players can use different control schemes if you want (wiimote alone/wii wheel, wiimote + nunchuk, Classic Controller, GC controller). I personally prefer the wiimote/nunchuck configuration, as after 2 years with it, it feels very natural and comfortable to me.

3) Let your games dictate which accessories you buy. If you have games that call for nunchucks, get nunchucks. I got Rayman Raving Rabbids with my Wii, so I had to get extra nunchucks to get the best play experience out of the game.

4) the Zapper/ Nyko gun are all but useless... to me. I bought the Zapper, but after I spent about a week with Link's Crossbow Training, I haven't gone back to it. I think the way the zapper is configured with the trigger in the front is awkward as hell.. and because it's nothing more than a cheap plastic shell, the game can't tell if you are even using it. So... I guess if you play a lot of shooters, and you think having a gun shaped controller would give you more control or be more comfy... go nuts. I would say pass.

5) Most VC games require either the Classic controller OR the GC controller. (some wiiware titles, and NES games just use the Wiimote). HOWEVER, the control schemes are "optimized" for the classic controller, so if you use the GC controller you may find yourself with some weird as hell button layouts that you can't personalize.

6) I had an older Nyko charging station, and I stopped using it. the battery packs had a rubberized backing, so the controller wouldn't fit in the wiimote cover, and wouldn't fit in my accessories (wii wheel or Zapper). In the end, I just bought some rechargeable AA batteries and a little charger, and that suits me just fine. The controllers do get like 30 hours of gameplay on a charge, which lasts me about a month.
The Fatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2009, 08:39 PM   #4
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral
 
Spot's Meow's Avatar
 
Location: California
Re: Wii Controller Questions

Thanks for the information, it has been helpful in figuring out what I really need. What is up with this "motion plus" thing I have seen for the remote? Is it worth it?
__________________
Time present and time past
are both perhaps present in time future.
And time future contained in time past.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2009, 08:47 PM   #5
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
Re: Wii Controller Questions

I don't have it, so I don't know. But, from what I've heard, it's what the Wiimote should have been like originally (i.e., super sensitive to what you're doing and not just moving in the general area of your movement).
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2009, 09:39 PM   #6
The Fatman
Captain
 
The Fatman's Avatar
 
Location: Buffalo, NY
Send a message via AIM to The Fatman
Re: Wii Controller Questions

Spot's Meow wrote: View Post
Thanks for the information, it has been helpful in figuring out what I really need. What is up with this "motion plus" thing I have seen for the remote? Is it worth it?
Motion plus only JUST came out last week, and right now is only supported by two games: EA tennis (I forget it's proper name, apologies), and Tiger Woods PGA Tour '10. In a few weeks, Wii Sports Resort comes out, and comes packaged with Motion Plus.

Old games will NOT be patched to support it, and it will only be optional on new titles.

I would say if you're interested, to get Wii Sports 2 and the "free" motion plus, and only get more if you get games that need it.
The Fatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2009, 09:43 PM   #7
Smiley
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Chandler, AZ
Re: Wii Controller Questions

^
I think you mean old games will not be patched YET to support it. They redid some GameCube games with Wii controls, so it's still a possibility in the future.
Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2009, 09:48 PM   #8
The Fatman
Captain
 
The Fatman's Avatar
 
Location: Buffalo, NY
Send a message via AIM to The Fatman
Re: Wii Controller Questions

Smiley wrote: View Post
^
I think you mean old games will not be patched YET to support it. They redid some GameCube games with Wii controls, so it's still a possibility in the future.
From what I've read, it's basically impossible to patch games on the hardware.

I'm not saying they won't re-release some old titles and add in motion plus support... but I think it can be safely said you won't see patches.
The Fatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2009, 10:23 PM   #9
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral
 
Rincewiend's Avatar
 
Location: .eu / .nl
Re: Wii Controller Questions

Foley0402 wrote: View Post
Spot's Meow wrote: View Post
Thanks for the information, it has been helpful in figuring out what I really need. What is up with this "motion plus" thing I have seen for the remote? Is it worth it?
Motion plus only JUST came out last week, and right now is only supported by two games: EA tennis (I forget it's proper name, apologies), and Tiger Woods PGA Tour '10. In a few weeks, Wii Sports Resort comes out, and comes packaged with Motion Plus.

Old games will NOT be patched to support it, and it will only be optional on new titles.

I would say if you're interested, to get Wii Sports 2 and the "free" motion plus, and only get more if you get games that need it.
Virtua Tennis 2009 supports it as well, but it's more tacked on, doesn't work that well according to gametrailers...
__________________
Don't trust atoms, they make up everything!
Rincewiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2009, 11:15 PM   #10
The Fatman
Captain
 
The Fatman's Avatar
 
Location: Buffalo, NY
Send a message via AIM to The Fatman
Re: Wii Controller Questions

^^ lol, I hadn't heard about virtua tennis 09 at all. I really need to pay more attention to things...
The Fatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
wii

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.