Red Shirt Diaries Returns Next Month
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

ISS Astronaut May Join Trek Fan Film

Quinto Sports New Trek Uniform

Star Trek: Renegades Released Early
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old December 1 2014, 06:18 AM   #1
starsuperion
Fleet Captain

How about a DW spin off akin to SJA?

Hmm.. this forum intrigues me, so many open and Brilliant minded people. I was pondering a question. I am not as enthusiastic about an American Doctor as with another thread discussion here, so much as interested in a possible spin off series.. I think it would be magnificent, and could tie into Doctor who, like the Sarah Jane adventures.. there is one man, of history, who has the memories of the Doctor and could conceivably create time travel technology, and would make for an interesting show indeed. not to mention crossing over with Doctor Who villains, and aliens..

I would give it this title.. and use the same actor.

Jackson Lake, Time Traveler! (from the next doctor special)

His memories, unlike Donna Noble are still intact, and in a difference of his data is not too much for his head, as he doesn't have a biological metacrisis transfer, so much as a knowledge boost of the best kind, time lord memories! Specifically the ability to understand, and comprehend the principles of Time and space travel. I presume they are still in his head, and maybe, just maybe over time, he learned how to access them and create a ship.. now that would be pretty cool to watch. It could have Rosita, his son, and maybe a few other passengers, as they are lost in time, like lost in space.. each adventure runs them into some connection to Doctor who, while also being able to run them across other creatures, and maybe on an occasion the ability to traverse new worlds, and come full circle and run back into the Doctor. It should have a very Jules Verne, and H.G. Wells feel with some cool flash Gordon type serial retro sci fi feel thrown in for good measure. What say you all?

I say for the finale, they do a season story arc lead up to the origin of Absolom Daak Dalek Killer!!

BBC, please take note!
Old December 1 2014, 06:27 AM   #2
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Re: How about a DW spin off akin to SJA?

Not much of a spin off really. Just a low rent Doctor. If he's traveling time and space, there's not much difference, just window dressing.
Now, if it was Jackson Lake tackling adventures on Earth, then I'm interested.
Old December 1 2014, 07:16 AM   #3
Ithekro
Commodore

Oddly this topic reminds me of an artist image of a verison of Sherlok Holmes set in both the Doctor Who universe as well as I think tied to the League of Extrodinary Gentlement. Set in the 1899. Along with a rather old Jackson Lake you have Sherlock and Watson, the Paternoster Gang, Leela (sent out by Romana and the Sixth Doctor it seem), H.G. Wells, Jack Harkness (recently drafted into Torchwood), Jango and Lightfoot, as well as sometimes both the Second and Eleveth Doctors.

http://paulhanley.deviantart.com/art...iety-306530340
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2014, 08:09 AM   #4
starsuperion
Fleet Captain

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Not much of a spin off really. Just a low rent Doctor. If he's traveling time and space, there's not much difference, just window dressing.
Now, if it was Jackson Lake tackling adventures on Earth, then I'm interested.
actually, I would prefer the episodes be set on earth, in the past or future, or even present day. What I should have said was travel to other planets may be either accidental, or future hitch hiking on a ship, or accidental transfer via space time bridges like something akin to that of John Carter, or something or other.. end up on mars, or a human base colony space station.. etc..

I would love to see Jackson lake traveling into the far future for an episode, and then maybe in the far past.. covering the classic era Egypt, or renaissance france, or Romans, or Greeks.. Ancient China, or even Japan. I could see episodes with Gaelic England stories, the Celts, and so on.. maybe even an Arthurian adventure. dinosaurs, and Silurians.. with so many historical enemies of the Doctor, it would be cool to see some episodes that would tie into the classic Who series and picks up with Jackson lake coming in to mop up..maybe picking up where the classic Doctor left off..could be fun and with Jackson's son being along for the ride, it would take the basic original premise of the classic Who back to historical stories of education, and could also be kid friendly like that of SJA.. with some episodes focused on kids, or teen angst and morality lessons of life, love, and honor.. Whatcha think?
Old December 1 2014, 08:51 AM   #5
Starkers
Admiral

starsuperion wrote: View Post

I would give it this title.. and use the same actor.
Does David Morrissey get a say in this?

I'd agree with others, it would feel like a low rent version of Doctor Who, both SJA and Torchwood were quite different from the parent show. A Paternoster gang show would be more likely.
Old December 1 2014, 09:35 AM   #6
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Ithekro wrote: View Post
Oddly this topic reminds me of an artist image of a verison of Sherlok Holmes set in both the Doctor Who universe as well as I think tied to the League of Extrodinary Gentlement. Set in the 1899. Along with a rather old Jackson Lake you have Sherlock and Watson, the Paternoster Gang, Leela (sent out by Romana and the Sixth Doctor it seem), H.G. Wells, Jack Harkness (recently drafted into Torchwood), Jango and Lightfoot, as well as sometimes both the Second and Eleveth Doctors.

http://paulhanley.deviantart.com/art...iety-306530340
I like that idea. Unlikely to ever happen though.
Old December 1 2014, 09:45 AM   #7
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

The only spinoff I would be interested in watching would be a series about the Tesselecta.
Old December 1 2014, 09:51 AM   #8
Relayer1
Rear Admiral

I can't stand David Morrissey, so I'd really rather not see Jackson Lake agin.

I'd like to see some spinoff that could feature the kids from SJA, Jo Grant and family, Captain Jack, River Song and any of the old characters they could fit in. A revolving cast could work...
Old December 1 2014, 11:33 AM   #9
Lonemagpie
Writer

Paternoster Gang. They're the ones that need a spinoff. They could shoot on the Ripper Street standing sets - and have a crossover...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2014, 02:52 PM   #10
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Paternoster Gang. They're the ones that need a spinoff. They could shoot on the Ripper Street standing sets - and have a crossover...
While I'm not sold on the idea of a Paternoster Gang spin-off (though I might, if Gatiss handles it, based on "The Crimson Horror" and his first Lucifer Box novel), I agree that the Ripper Street sets should be used and would make it an affordable proposition.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2014, 03:02 PM   #11
Relayer1
Rear Admiral

Lucifer Box -

‘He was an American, so it only seemed fair to shoot him.'

Priceless...

Old December 1 2014, 04:01 PM   #12
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

starsuperion wrote: View Post
I say for the finale, they do a season story arc lead up to the origin of Absolom Daak Dalek Killer!!
I would love to see an Abslom Daak, Dalek Killer series. It's unlikely to happen, but I'd enjoy the heck out of it.

What I would really like to see is a spin-off that's more than "Doctor Who without the Doctor." Which is what this "Jackson Lake" series sounds like it would be, what Torchwood was, what Sarah Jane was.

I think I would go the Deep Space Nine route -- create a setting and a bunch of characters, have the Doctor as a character in their story in the pilot, and when the Doctor leaves, maybe after mucking things up, the series carries on. What that setting might be and who those characters are I have no idea. The Paternoster Gang would fit that paradigm.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2014, 05:03 PM   #13
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

I'm not interested at all in seeing Jackson Lake ever again. Overall, I don't feel the need for a spinoff. If they were to do one, my preference would be an anthology series where we revisit different companions and even past Doctors. That will never happen because of the expense of all new settings/sets as well the fact that outside the new programme, there are very few widely known characters that could be brought back.

Other than that, picking some previous companion would be my next thought. My interest would depend on who they picked. The Paternoster Gang might be alright. Although, I could see them growing tiresome quickly as well.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2014, 09:00 PM   #14
Ithekro
Commodore

The Deep Space Nine reference reminds me that there was a station in Doctor Who called the Wheel. It was were the 2nd Doctor stopped an invasion of the Cybermen and where they picked up Zoe. She was sent back there by the Timelords with no memory of what she did with the Doctor after leaving the first time, arriving back only a moment after the TARDIS left. A series set there following the fallout of the Cyberman invasion and other issues as Earth starts to expand into space might be something.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2014, 09:05 PM   #15
Doctorwhovian
Fleet Captain

RTD thought of a Rose spinoff or special at one point. I think it was called Rose Tyler: Earth Defense. But he scrapped that pretty quickly and did Torchwood and SJA instead.

Terry Nation also briefly tried to get a Daleks TV show started (This is probably why the Daleks are largely absent for a few years during the Troughton/Pertwee eras)
Doctorwhovian is offline   Reply With Quote