Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old August 10 2009, 10:56 AM   #271
Etched
Rear Admiral

Re: *Spock/Zachary Quinto Appreciation Zone*

Though you guys might like this, from the con yesterday - the three Spocks on stage together. I don't know why but this makes my little Trekkie heart happy.
Etched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2009, 01:19 PM   #272
NileQT87
Commander

View NileQT87's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to NileQT87 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to NileQT87 Send a message via Yahoo to NileQT87

Aw!!! The three Spocks! That's adorable. It's nice to see Jacob Kogan get some attention, too. He was actually one of the most impressive actors in the film and very memorable (can't say the same for the young Kirk actor). He got some great material, too.

Hugs all around!

Kudos for the link.

They're only missing baby Jenna Vaughn--probably the only girl to ever play Spock. LOL.
NileQT87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2009, 03:04 PM   #273
Yeoman Randi
Vice Admiral

What a great clip! I am really impressed with Jacob, he looks so comfortable onstage. Thanks for sharing that!
Yeoman Randi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2009, 03:36 PM   #274
Etched
Rear Admiral

You're welcome, I have little to do all day but surf the net and I do love con reports/vids/pics, I guess I get to live vicariously a little bit.
Old August 10 2009, 06:26 PM   #275
Rackon
Commander

OMG - The Three Spocks! How cool is that? Thanks!

Kogan was great as young Spock, I just wanted to hug him and kiss his little bruises away...I would do the same for the other Spocks too!
Rackon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2009, 03:52 PM   #276
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

^ Aaaawwww.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2009, 04:04 PM   #277
JustKate
Rear Admiral

DevilEyes wrote: View Post
NileQT87 wrote: View Post
Well, I'm sure you can guess which characters get the most media attention. It's the Fonzie effect (the extreme example).
I have to say that I'm completely unfamiliar with Happy Days apart from mentions in The Simpsons and in various articles and people online, so can you tell me what do you mean by Fonzie effect?
I know this was, like, ages ago, but I don't think anybody ever answered this question, so why not me? What I think Nile was referring to was when a minor character - which the Fonz was in the early days of Happy Days - is elevated to a major character due to his popularity with female fans. In the case of the Fonz, I think this came as almost a complete surprise to TPTB - can't say if it applies to ZQ or not.

Last edited by JustKate; August 11 2009 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Decided I should give Zachary Quinto the correct initials!
JustKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2009, 06:29 PM   #278
NileQT87
Commander

View NileQT87's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to NileQT87 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to NileQT87 Send a message via Yahoo to NileQT87

It's basically when a minor character becomes a major force of fan attention to the show and they are elevated to almost main or main character status.

Happy Days was also filmed on a live set, which meant that people screamed out when their favorites came on. It was a running joke that the audience erupted in screams every time he showed up.

Again, the Fonz effect with that Comic-Con vid. Every time ZQ came on screen, you got noticeably louder screams.
NileQT87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2009, 06:29 PM   #279
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

JustKate wrote: View Post
DevilEyes wrote: View Post
NileQT87 wrote: View Post
Well, I'm sure you can guess which characters get the most media attention. It's the Fonzie effect (the extreme example).
I have to say that I'm completely unfamiliar with Happy Days apart from mentions in The Simpsons and in various articles and people online, so can you tell me what do you mean by Fonzie effect?
I know this was, like, ages ago, but I don't think anybody ever answered this question, so why not me? What I think Nile was referring to was when a minor character - which the Fonz was in the early days of Happy Days - is elevated to a major character due to his popularity with female fans. In the case of the Fonz, I think this came as almost a complete surprise to TPTB - can't say if it applies to ZQ or not.
Thanks for the explanation!

Did Sylar's popularity come as a surprise to TPTB? Hmm, let's see - you have a super-powerful main villain, played by a physically attractive and charismatic actor.. Nah, no way anyone could predict that such a character could become a sex symbol!

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
Old August 11 2009, 06:41 PM   #280
JustKate
Rear Admiral

^ Listen, TPTB - admittedly these were different PTB - were surprised by Spock's appeal. So I wouldn't put anything past them. Sometimes the obvious just isn't obvious enough, you know? Not to TV executives.

But I actually haven't ever seen Heroes. I know, I know...but it never did appeal to me. ZQ is almost enough to tempt me to see it, but to be honest, I have a weakness for good guys played by attractive and charismatic actors. Bad guys? Not so much.

Last edited by JustKate; August 12 2009 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Decided to spell "weakness" correctly
JustKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2009, 04:34 PM   #281
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

JustKate wrote: View Post
^ Listen, TPTB - admittedly these were different PTB - were surprised by Spock's appeal. So I wouldn't put anything past them. Sometimes the obvious just isn't obvious enough, you know? Not to TV executives.

But I actually haven't ever seen Heroes. I know, I know...but it never did appeal to me. ZQ is almost enough to tempt me to see it, but to be honest, I have a weekness for good guys played by attractive and charismatic actors. Bad guys? Not so much.
Then you won't like Sylar. He is definitely evil. And I mean really evil. Well, he is not 100% bad, but nobody would mistake him for a good guy, not even he himself. He is not one-dimensional and did have moments when he as almost... good (?)... But some people did not enjoy that at all, since most of the fans actually prefer him being evil.

You are sort of an opposite to some people I know, who always seem to lgo for the bad guys. Now, I have lusted for quite a few fictional villains and bad boys, but at least I can say I have never had the hots for Hannibal Lecter, any version of Joker, and I really don't understand why some people find Ben Linus from Lost sexy. And according tothe TV Tropes, some women even fantasize about Freddie Krueger. I guess some people trully appreciate fictional evil, even when it has a disfigured face, or if it is small, bug-eyed and whiny-voiced. Me, I admit I am more shallow. If it doesn't come with piercing eyes, sexy voice and a firm butt, forget about it.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
Old August 12 2009, 04:42 PM   #282
Crusher Disciple
Admiral

View Crusher Disciple's Twitter Profile

Actually, I liked Sylar trying to be good. Seein his Mommy issues played out so well by Angela really got to me. Deepened his character more and made him more sympathetic.
Old August 12 2009, 05:08 PM   #283
Etched
Rear Admiral

Crusher Disciple wrote: View Post
Actually, I liked Sylar trying to be good. Seein his Mommy issues played out so well by Angela really got to me. Deepened his character more and made him more sympathetic.
I agree. They have made him sympathetic, its seems like Gabriel Grey was essentially a nice guy but he was, and continues to be, manipulated, betrayed and or abandoned by everyone he has ever cared about . That doesn't negate what he has done since but combined with the "hunger" that is inherent to his power the message the writers are putting across seems to be that he never really stood a chance to be anything other than what he has become.

And during season three they have consistently hinted that he is not beyond finding redemption, we've already seen an alternate future where he has managed to, seemingly, overcome his psychotic tendencies (because he finally had someone who loved him unconditionally?) and his interactions with Micah at the end of last season also hint at his conflicting nature and ability to be something more. I wonder if ultimately he will become the hero who saves them all - only of course he'll probably have to sacrifice himself in the process because he's committed acts that are far too horrific for him to live happily ever after.
Old August 12 2009, 05:13 PM   #284
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

Crusher Disciple wrote: View Post
Oh, I liked it, too. But quite a few people bitched about it, including some I know, who were happy when Sylar
and went back to his old self, even though they liked her... They were happy that "the real Sylar is back".

I like when they explore Sylar's personality more, and I liked season 3 because it made him more complex, and it gave Zach the chance to fully show his acting skills. I disliked season 2, when they were just making him look one-dimensionally evil (although, on the brigh side, he looked amazing ). But I can also see why some people had a problem with volume 3 Sylar - the changes happened too quickly and too drastically, it was as if he made 2 U-turns in the space of just 4 or 5 episodes. First he becomes a bit too "good", then he flips and becomes even worse than before.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
Old August 12 2009, 06:22 PM   #285
Yeoman Randi
Vice Admiral

I also loved seeing Sylar being good. I can tell you the moment i saw him in his glasses, in the kitchen, with an apron on i just melted!

Yeoman Randi is offline   Reply With Quote