Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 29 2009, 04:16 PM   #76
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

Re: Transformers: Revenge of the Racial Caricatures

Bad Bishop wrote: View Post
Kaijufan wrote: View Post
I bet Michael Bay wishes he could of made all the robots racial stereotypes because I'm sure he would find it hilarious.
You don't like Michael Bay, therefore it's OK to insinuate that he's a racist, lack of evidence notwithstanding. Nice going, chump.
Other that racial stereotypes and caricatures permeate his films.
Old June 30 2009, 05:26 AM   #77
grabmygoblin
Commodore

http://mightygodking.com/index.php/2...ve-been-worse/
Old June 30 2009, 07:29 AM   #78
captcalhoun
Admiral

that's hysterical.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2009, 07:44 AM   #79
Destructor
Commodore

TheArsenal wrote: View Post
captcalhoun wrote: View Post

your memory is faulty. i remember people bitching that they were Japanese racist stereotype thingies.
And along the same lines, Watto was criticized, by the majority for being a Jewish merchant stereotype, although some saw him as a slight on Arabs.
Well, that criticism is fairly valid. He pretty much comes onscreen and yell: "Oy! I'm the flying Jew!"
Destructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2009, 08:16 AM   #80
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Teelie wrote: View Post
Much like Mater from Cars. Anyone who saw that movie will know who I mean. The tow truck vehicle that was about as redneck as a vehicle can get. As I recall, no one pitched a fit about that. Hello double standards, nice to meet you.
I haven't seen TF2, but I did see Cars, and I don't think it's a double-standard at all. Was Mater portrayed as having sex with his cousin, being incapable of reading, being a gun-nut, a racist, and dumber than a bag of nails? I seem to remember his being portrayed fairly quite positively.

Context is everything.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2009, 09:47 AM   #81
Thespeckledkiwi
Vice Admiral

Location: TheBolianChef is no more! It's theSpeckledKiwi now!

^ that's a good point too. With Cars, Mater was a very good character and portrayed the 'redneck' stereotype actually a little bit positively.
Thespeckledkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2009, 11:33 AM   #82
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

Well, after finally seeing TF2 I have to say that you really have to desire to be insulted, to be insulted by the twins.

Are they annoying and stupid ? Hell yes.
Are they a waste of screen time and useless characters ? Hell yes.

But for them to cause all this internet racial discussions is a real stretch. At least in my opinion.

And in any case they really didn't have that much screen time. Certainly not to the extend i was lead to believe by many posts.And most of that time was towards the end of the movie.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2009, 06:49 PM   #83
Teelie
Vice Admiral

I'd have to watch again but yes, he was potrayed as illiterate and with the "country" mentality of a stereotype. Although they did not imply him having sex with his cousin (this was a G/PG rated movie) he was shown to be quite limiited. And the twins were shown positively too in TF2. You can't say they were failures. They helped to save the day. They were goofy show-off comic relief. What'd you expect? There have been other "black" autobots too but they get overlooked because it's easier to find something to complain about than acknowledge that maybe people are over reacting.

Context is everything but it is also easy to play around with it and find your own conclusions as is clearly obvious. People choose to see the twins as a racist stereotype as opposed to just a bad urban stereotype played up for comic relief and some people choose to see Mater as not a stereotype at all, despite the fact he was voiced by a man who if not a redneck, makes a living acting as one. I doubt Larry the Cable Guy is what we truly believe all rednecks are like, even if he is the personification of the stereotype.
Teelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2009, 07:42 PM   #84
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

Maybe not the best film review I've read lately, but certainly my favourite. Michael Bay finally made an art movie

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2009, 02:06 AM   #85
Derishton
Vice Admiral

My favorite of the comments to the review posted above: "Am I the only person who thinks Megan Fox looks totally like a Thai lady boy with a serious tanning bed fix?"

No. No, my anonymous internet friend ... you are not alone.
Old July 1 2009, 02:35 AM   #86
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

Derishton wrote: View Post
My favorite of the comments to the review posted above: "Am I the only person who thinks Megan Fox looks totally like a Thai lady boy with a serious tanning bed fix?"

No. No, my anonymous internet friend ... you are not alone.
I can see it.

But I'd still do her.

But, seriously, at the very least that Madonna tat on her arm has to go.

And she needs to learn to close her mouth and stop bearing her teeth. What is she? A mouth-breather?
Old July 1 2009, 04:27 PM   #87
blockaderunner
Rear Admiral

As a black person with kids who saw Revenge Of The Fallen, I saw no problem. This is the same thing that happened when the Dukes Of Hazard movie came out and there was "controversy" about the Confederate battle flag on the roof of the General Lee. It seems like the people most offended are the ones who aren't the target of the racism i.e. white journalist trying to score PC points. Most of the people in my community didn't seem to have a problem with Skids and Mudflap. It seems that Michael Bay can't seem to catch a break. People complained that, with the exception of Prime, Megatron, and Bumblebee, the robots in the first TF movie were just props for the humans to react to. They addressed it in the second movie and the PC media cry racism that's not there. And if I seem to recall, there were tons of stereotypes in the G1 cartoon (remember Blaster, the music loving, jive talking robot that turned into a radio and Perceptor, the British accented scientist who turned into a microscope?). Fallen is just par for the course. And to clear up a little discrepancy, the PC police were saying that the Twins were illiterate. That's not true. In the movie they said they couldn't read old Cybertronian. I imagine that Prime couldn't have read it either if it was shown to him. But I will admit that, growing up, there were a few of my classmates and peers that weren't the sharpest knives in the drawer. In fact, my brothers and I were considered somewahat of anomolies due to our literacy. I'm not slammin' my people. I was what I saw growing up. But I digress.
If God is willing but not able to prevent evil, he is not omnipotent. If he is able but not willing, then he is malevolent. If he is willing and able, then whence come evil? If he is neither willing nor able, then why call him God?
blockaderunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2009, 01:00 AM   #88
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

Ganja Tea wrote: View Post
Someone needs to shoot Michael Bay before he gets his hands on Thundercats or something.
Really? I think it would be cool. It might look like this!
Old July 2 2009, 02:09 AM   #89
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Ganja Tea wrote: View Post
Someone needs to shoot Michael Bay before he gets his hands on Thundercats or something.
Really? I think it would be cool. It might look like this!
Interesting definition of "cool."
Old July 2 2009, 03:59 PM   #90
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
Teelie wrote: View Post
Much like Mater from Cars. Anyone who saw that movie will know who I mean. The tow truck vehicle that was about as redneck as a vehicle can get. As I recall, no one pitched a fit about that. Hello double standards, nice to meet you.
I haven't seen TF2, but I did see Cars, and I don't think it's a double-standard at all. Was Mater portrayed as having sex with his cousin, being incapable of reading, being a gun-nut, a racist, and dumber than a bag of nails? I seem to remember his being portrayed fairly quite positively.

Context is everything.
He couldn't read, had the I.Q. of pocket lint and tipped "cows" for fun. So yes, double standerd still stands.