RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,684
Posts: 5,430,446
Members: 24,829
Currently online: 382
Newest member: Enabran


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 25 2009, 02:16 AM   #1
nx1701g
Admiral
 
nx1701g's Avatar
 
Location: Aboard the Executor...
Transformers: Revenge of the Racial Caricatures

Latest from Yahoo:

Jive-talking twin Transformers raise race issues:
Harmless comic characters or racist robots? The buzz over the summer blockbuster "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" only grew Wednesday as some said two jive-talking Chevy characters were racial caricatures.

Skids and Mudflap, twin robots disguised as compact hatchbacks, constantly brawl and bicker in rap-inspired street slang. They're forced to acknowledge that they can't read. One has a gold tooth. [MORE]
So did you think that they were racial caricatures?
__________________
Not Dead Yet.
nx1701g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2009, 02:29 AM   #2
Bad Bishop
Vice Admiral
 
Bad Bishop's Avatar
 
Location: The Land of Fruits and Nuts
Re: Transformers: Revenge of the Racial Caricatures

nx1701g wrote: View Post
Latest from Yahoo:

Jive-talking twin Transformers raise race issues:
Harmless comic characters or racist robots? The buzz over the summer blockbuster "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" only grew Wednesday as some said two jive-talking Chevy characters were racial caricatures.

Skids and Mudflap, twin robots disguised as compact hatchbacks, constantly brawl and bicker in rap-inspired street slang. They're forced to acknowledge that they can't read. One has a gold tooth. [MORE]
So did you think that they were racial caricatures?
Never mind them. Is it true that the hand-wringing POTUS in the film is named Obama?
__________________
Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be debunked.
(Paraphrasing Dr. Carl Sagan)
Bad Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2009, 02:54 AM   #3
Kaijufan
Rear Admiral
 
Kaijufan's Avatar
 
Location: Amana, Iowa
Re: Transformers: Revenge of the Racial Caricatures

I bet Michael Bay wishes he could of made all the robots racial stereotypes because I'm sure he would find it hilarious.
__________________

Kaijufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2009, 03:01 AM   #4
Bad Bishop
Vice Admiral
 
Bad Bishop's Avatar
 
Location: The Land of Fruits and Nuts
Re: Transformers: Revenge of the Racial Caricatures

Kaijufan wrote: View Post
I bet Michael Bay wishes he could of made all the robots racial stereotypes because I'm sure he would find it hilarious.
You don't like Michael Bay, therefore it's OK to insinuate that he's a racist, lack of evidence notwithstanding. Nice going, chump.
__________________
Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be debunked.
(Paraphrasing Dr. Carl Sagan)
Bad Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2009, 03:03 AM   #5
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Transformers: Revenge of the Racial Caricatures

Bad Bishop wrote: View Post
Is it true that the hand-wringing POTUS in the film is named Obama?
Obama is the president in the film, yes. But he's not hand-wringing. In fact we never see him at all. He's only mentioned once: in one line that says he's being moved to a secure location. That's it.
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2009, 03:17 AM   #6
Bad Bishop
Vice Admiral
 
Bad Bishop's Avatar
 
Location: The Land of Fruits and Nuts
Re: Transformers: Revenge of the Racial Caricatures

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Bad Bishop wrote: View Post
Is it true that the hand-wringing POTUS in the film is named Obama?
Obama is the president in the film, yes. But he's not hand-wringing. In fact we never see him at all. He's only mentioned once: in one line that says he's being moved to a secure location. That's it.
Some people who've seen the film think that it is not flattering to the POTUS:

Variety's David Cohen saw the latest "Transformers" movie --- "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" --- and filed this report on its reference to President Obama, but not, at least in his eyes, in a good way.

Cohen*writes, "So as usual in these movies, the federal bureaucrats are portrayed as annoying if not villainous. The President's man, "Galloway," is a bespectacled blowhard who becomes an obstacle to our brave fighting men and their alliance with the noble Autobots. Operating specifically under presidential authority, he makes all kinds of mischief. He says the President wants to try "diplomacy" against the evil Decepticons and hints the President would consider handing over Shia LaBouf's character to be killed by them.
http://www.wilshireandwashington.com...-at-obama.html
__________________
Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be debunked.
(Paraphrasing Dr. Carl Sagan)
Bad Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2009, 03:40 AM   #7
StarTrek1701
Fleet Captain
 
StarTrek1701's Avatar
 
Re: Transformers: Revenge of the Racial Caricatures

nx1701g wrote: View Post
Latest from Yahoo:

Jive-talking twin Transformers raise race issues:
Harmless comic characters or racist robots? The buzz over the summer blockbuster "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" only grew Wednesday as some said two jive-talking Chevy characters were racial caricatures.

Skids and Mudflap, twin robots disguised as compact hatchbacks, constantly brawl and bicker in rap-inspired street slang. They're forced to acknowledge that they can't read. One has a gold tooth. [MORE]
So did you think that they were racial caricatures?
Even if they were (haven't seen the movie, will see Saturday) I wouldn't give a shit.
StarTrek1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2009, 03:42 AM   #8
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Transformers: Revenge of the Racial Caricatures

Bad Bishop wrote: View Post
Some people who've seen the film think that it is not flattering to the POTUS:
Galloway was an idiot, true. But that's not the president's fault.
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2009, 03:51 AM   #9
Borgminister
Moderator
 
Location: California
Re: Transformers: Revenge of the Racial Caricatures

A gold tooth?!?
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2009, 04:24 AM   #10
The Evil Dead
Vice Admiral
 
The Evil Dead's Avatar
 
Location: 1123, 6536, 5321
View The Evil Dead's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Evil Dead
Re: Transformers: Revenge of the Racial Caricatures

It was their ears I was most surprised by, it reminded me of 1940s Looney Tunes.
__________________
"I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. I’m a machine and I could know much more."
- Cavil, Battlestar Galactica
The Evil Dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2009, 04:42 AM   #11
nx1701g
Admiral
 
nx1701g's Avatar
 
Location: Aboard the Executor...
Re: Transformers: Revenge of the Racial Caricatures

StarTrek1701 wrote: View Post
nx1701g wrote: View Post
Latest from Yahoo:

Jive-talking twin Transformers raise race issues:
Harmless comic characters or racist robots? The buzz over the summer blockbuster "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" only grew Wednesday as some said two jive-talking Chevy characters were racial caricatures.

Skids and Mudflap, twin robots disguised as compact hatchbacks, constantly brawl and bicker in rap-inspired street slang. They're forced to acknowledge that they can't read. One has a gold tooth. [MORE]
So did you think that they were racial caricatures?
Even if they were (haven't seen the movie, will see Saturday) I wouldn't give a shit.
Same here (Plan to go this weekend at some point).
__________________
Not Dead Yet.
nx1701g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2009, 04:57 AM   #12
SamusAranX
Fleet Captain
 
SamusAranX's Avatar
 
Location: Out of my mind
Re: Transformers: Revenge of the Racial Caricatures

I usually don't take offense at things like these, but those two characters really were pushign the envelope on stereotyping. I mean gold teeth...c'mon!
__________________
I registered with TrekBBS and all I got was this lousy sig.
SamusAranX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2009, 05:00 AM   #13
fresh
Lieutenant
 
Re: Transformers: Revenge of the Racial Caricatures

Minstrel shows in 2009, this is shameful.
It plays on as many negative racial stereotypes about African Americans that could be crammed into each character, I don't know how it could not be considered racist.
fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2009, 06:04 AM   #14
Tulin
Vice Admiral
 
Location: With the most wonderful man in the world!
Re: Transformers: Revenge of the Racial Caricatures

OH BOY OH BOY OH BOY!!!

I've been waiting for this!!!!!!


*Rubs hands together and sits back with popcorn, waiting for the show to begin*

Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2009, 06:10 AM   #15
Broccoli
Vice Admiral
 
Broccoli's Avatar
 
Location: Broccoli
Re: Transformers: Revenge of the Racial Caricatures

Bad Bishop wrote: View Post
Some people who've seen the film think that it is not flattering to the POTUS
I haven't seen the movie, so I cannot comment for sure, but it would keep things in line with the unflattering portrayal of the president in the first film (who was clearly meant to be Bush, even though they never said his name).
__________________
"That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -- Christopher Hitchens
Broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
transformers

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.