Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old June 30 2009, 08:57 PM   #1
RobertScorpio
Pariah

No One Need Die

In the SPORES episode of TOS (This Side of Paradise? see...I can remember) the Spores seem to have the ability to regrow body parts, and even cure disease I guess. Well, doesn't that qualify as the fountain of youth that Capt Tracey was looking for???

Just take sick people to the Spores planet, beam down, get taken over by a spore, then get it out of your body..and..well...ta da!!! you're cured/healed/alive still.

Can you think of other episodes where the story is so fantastic where you wondered why didn't the crew just GO back there and..whatever..

Maybe, in Star trek, no one needs to die! And you don't even have to go to the nexus!

Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2009, 09:12 PM   #2
Forbin
Admiral

Re: No One Need Die

That's one of the little compromises of episodic 60s TV series. You just forget everything that happened on other episodes.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2009, 09:14 PM   #3
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Forbin wrote: View Post
That's one of the little compromises of episodic 60s TV series. You just forget everything that happened on other episodes.
Yeah..so true. And I love your avatar!! Great job!

I guess they repeated this again when Spock found out that the Romulans had a cloaking device..and then forgot...and then remembered in season three...

Rob
Old July 1 2009, 12:06 AM   #4
Timo
Admiral

"Forgot"? How so?

..the Spores seem to have the ability to regrow body parts, and even cure disease I guess. Well, doesn't that qualify as the fountain of youth that Capt Tracey was looking for???
Nobody said anything about stopping aging, though. You'd simply live a very healthy life of not drastically increased length, and you would be an initiative-deprived slouch for that not drastically increased length.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2009, 12:20 AM   #5
barnaclelapse
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse

I always wonder about stuff like that, but I don't dwell on it. I'd likely lose my damn mind.
barnaclelapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2009, 01:24 AM   #6
Yassim
Fleet Captain

You could also move super-fast all your life (Wink of An Eye) and have telekinetic powers (Plato's Stepchildren).

At that rate, every member of Picard's crew should have been a one-man Justice League of America.
Old July 1 2009, 09:22 PM   #7
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Yassim wrote: View Post
You could also move super-fast all your life (Wink of An Eye) and have telekinetic powers (Plato's Stepchildren).

At that rate, every member of Picard's crew should have been a one-man Justice League of America.
LOL...I'm glad you DIDNT say...XMEN!!

Rob
Old July 2 2009, 03:41 AM   #8
miraclefan
Commodore

RobertScorpio wrote: View Post

Rob
Ya, but YOU (Robert) DID!

THEY WERE THE JUDGES!
miraclefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2009, 03:46 AM   #9
Shawnster
Fleet Captain

Same holds for the Baku homeworld, doesn't it? Another fountain of youth. Only this time they didn't destroy the healing possibilities. In fact, they fought to preserve it.
Shawnster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2009, 04:17 AM   #10
RobertScorpio
Pariah

miraclefan wrote: View Post
RobertScorpio wrote: View Post

Rob
Ya, but YOU (Robert) DID!
Guilty as charged...
Rob
Old July 2 2009, 04:28 AM   #11
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

If you could be restored to perfect health any time you were in any way impaired or injured of course you'd live forever - barring accidents.

You think the "initiative deprived" thing would stop anyone? Hell, people would inject the spores into their eyeballs with hypodermic needles if they had to.

In any event, since they know what the antidote is for the spore lethargy - it's simple and straightforward - it would take the dumbest med student in the world ten minutes to work out a protocol for administering the stuff, letting it do its thing and then eliminating the lethargy - remember, the health effects are permanent; the low motivation is treatable. We put far, far more dangerous and unpredictable things into our bodies to cure serious disease now.

The writer didn't even start to think through the implications of this story. It's an entertaining show with some fun stuff in it - and the Spock romance has always been popular - but it's not a very good story.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2009, 04:31 AM   #12
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Dennis wrote: View Post
If you could be restored to perfect health any time you were in any way impaired or injured of course you'd live forever - barring accidents.

You think the "initiative deprived" thing would stop anyone? Hell, people would inject the spores into their eyeballs with hypodermic needles if they had to.

In any event, since they know what the antidote is for the spore lethargy - it's simple and straightforward - it would take the dumbest med student in the world ten minutes to work out a protocol for administering the stuff, letting it do its thing and then eliminating the lethargy - remember, the health effects are permanent; the low motivation is treatable. We put far, far more dangerous and unpredictable things into our bodies to cure serious disease now.

The writer didn't even start to think through the implications of this story. It's an entertaining show with some fun stuff in it - and the Spock romance has always been popular - but it's not a very good story.
I have no problem with the story, and it was from the 60s. But yeah, it could have been better. The Spock romance is the best part of this episode, as you said, and it is anchored by that great love theme they play for him and the blond woman...

Rob