Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old June 20 2011, 02:01 PM   #256
Clawhammer
Commander

View Clawhammer's Twitter Profile
Re: Discuss: The Voyager Fleet

Small spoiler alert:

In Children of the Storm's last chapter the Quirinal is on it's landing struts. While the shape of the Vesta would allow it to land, the long/lean pylons might put heavy strain on the structural integrity.

Quirinal and Esqueline will get a B type pylon. (swept forward.) This will also be a good feature to keep the 2 ships apart from the Aventine. (besides color differences.)

I'm not sure when I can make these changes, it might take a while.
Old June 20 2011, 02:29 PM   #257
BrotherBenny
Rear Admiral

View BrotherBenny's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BrotherBenny Send a message via Yahoo to BrotherBenny

Clawhammer wrote: View Post
Small spoiler alert:

In Children of the Storm's last chapter the Quirinal is on it's landing struts. While the shape of the Vesta would allow it to land, the long/lean pylons might put heavy strain on the structural integrity.

Quirinal and Esqueline will get a B type pylon. (swept forward.) This will also be a good feature to keep the 2 ships apart from the Aventine. (besides color differences.)

I'm not sure when I can make these changes, it might take a while.
Does that mean that Aventine can't land?

My blog / My crime stories
BrotherBenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2011, 02:39 PM   #258
Clawhammer
Commander

BrotherBenny wrote: View Post
Unless one of the Authors proofs me wrong, I would say: it's difficult.
Old June 20 2011, 02:39 PM   #259
Scout101
Admiral

Thought it was supposed to be similar is size to the E-E? Wouldn't have expected it to land in the first place, as IMO that's something that was already silly in something the size of Voyager, much less any larger ships.
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2011, 02:44 PM   #260
BrotherBenny
Rear Admiral

View BrotherBenny's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BrotherBenny Send a message via Yahoo to BrotherBenny

Why can't all of the Vesta-class ships land? It doesn't make sense unless the Vesta is more like a basic ship design but each ship of the class is built differently with various test bed technologies or some such.

Old June 20 2011, 03:06 PM   #261
Clawhammer
Commander

Scout101 wrote: View Post
Thought it was supposed to be similar is size to the E-E? Wouldn't have expected it to land in the first place, as IMO that's something that was already silly in something the size of Voyager, much less any larger ships.
I have to agree, the Vesta's are smaller in volume but almost as long as the E-E. I do however think that the compact design of the Vesta might be beneficial.

Why can't all of the Vesta-class ships land? It doesn't make sense unless the Vesta is more like a basic ship design but each ship of the class is built differently with various test bed technologies or some such.

True! Aventine was outfitted with more experimental goodies. They might not have implemented the entire landing system from the start for various reasons. Perhaps the system could be installed during the next service window.

My only concern would be for the pylons, they need a strong SIF to reinforce them. No problem in normal operations, but I would recommend "saucer" separation in times of emergency.
Old June 20 2011, 05:01 PM   #262
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
rfmcdpei wrote: View Post
I thought that it was trivially easy to retrofit existing Federation starships with slipstream, and that it was just benamite shortages which limited the transformation. If Voyager was able to almost implement it alone in the Delta Quadrant, I don't see why older vessels back in the Federation couldn't be similarly retrofitted, especially since warp and slipstream drives seem to require similar geometries.
The way we've dealt with it in the books, some starship classes are more easily adapted to slipstream than others. Basically you need something reasonably narrow, since the wider a slipstream conduit is, the exponentially harder it is to maintain. Something like Voyager, which is a pretty slender and cylindrical-ish design to start with, is easily adaptable to slipstream, but something like a Galaxy or Nebula-class ship wouldn't have a prayer.
What about the Soverign and Luna classes, could they use slipstream?
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2011, 07:43 PM   #263
Christopher
Writer

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
They're wide enough that it would be very difficult. That's why ships like Titan haven't been slipstream-converted even though it would be appropriate for their mission profile.

Of course, the Federation is surely continuing to research the technology, so there's always the possibility of a breakthrough that would make such conversions viable -- if there were a story that called for it.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2011, 10:21 PM   #264
BrotherBenny
Rear Admiral

^Although I don't like the idea of having slipstream because it just seems like a ridiculous piece of technology of which the speed capability was up and down for a while, I like the fact that they limited its use through the rarity of the benamite ore. At least until a Coridan-like planet is found which is rich in the stuff, anyway.

But I am interested to know the capabilities of the ships in the fleet. Maximum speed (warp), weaponry and defensive capabilities (especially the Mulciber-class), etc.

Last edited by BrotherBoney; June 21 2011 at 03:39 AM.
Old June 23 2011, 01:21 AM   #265
MatthiasRussell
Fleet Captain

Clawhammer wrote: View Post
Unless one of the Authors proofs me wrong, I would say: it's difficult.
But the thin pylons on the original showed how advanced it was because those thin structural parts could handle high stress and bending loads. We also know the original enterprise could handle atmospheric loads since it entered the Earth's atmosphere. If the Connie could handle those loads, couldn't the Vestas?

The Defiants also have landing struts so I would think the admiralty is wanting more ships to have landing capacity. Of course gear on the defiant didn't make much sense to me like it did for the Intrepids.
Old June 23 2011, 01:24 AM   #266
MatthiasRussell
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
They're wide enough that it would be very difficult. That's why ships like Titan haven't been slipstream-converted even though it would be appropriate for their mission profile.

Of course, the Federation is surely continuing to research the technology, so there's always the possibility of a breakthrough that would make such conversions viable -- if there were a story that called for it.
I think the sovereign is very streamlined and could be easily retrofit. It is my understanding that slipstream isn't a size issue but a streamline issue.
Old June 23 2011, 03:24 AM   #267
Christopher
Writer

MatthiasRussell wrote: View Post
I think the sovereign is very streamlined and could be easily retrofit. It is my understanding that slipstream isn't a size issue but a streamline issue.
Well, speaking as the guy who came up with the novels' explanation in the first place, I have to say that, no, it is in fact a size issue. Or rather, a width issue. The wider the slipstream corridor, the exponentially more complex the quantum computations needed to keep it stable. So a smaller ship can be relatively wide and be able to negotiate the corridor, but if you want to build a larger ship to get through a corridor of the same width, it has to be a proportionately narrower design.

On the other hand, power is probably a factor; a bigger ship with more powerful engines could create a wider corridor, so long as it had sufficient processing power/speed to keep up with the more intricate computations -- and that greater computing power might go along with a bigger ship as well (if only because a harder-working computer would need more ventilation space to keep from overheating). But still, you don't want it to be any wider than it has to be. So yes, in that sense a narrower, more "streamlined" ship is better. But that's an outgrowth of the size constraint. And as you go up in size, the drive gets riskier and harder to use, and you rapidly reach a point of diminishing returns.

So does the Sovereign class have the right balance of size, power, and narrowness to handle slipstream passage? It could, if there's a story that needs it to. But I think it would be pushing the envelope. If you look at the Sovereign from above, for instance here, you see it's actually a lot broader than it generally looks onscreen.

Old June 23 2011, 04:32 AM   #268
MatthiasRussell
Fleet Captain

Oh sure, pull the "I postulated the theory" card. Who am I to debate relativity with Einstein, lol. Just to clarify, weren't the design criteria for slipstream laid out in David Mack books?

Interesting explanation and thought, you could force your way through a corridor with powerful enough computers and engines. Christopher, you have an excellent engineering mind.

I would imagine width and height wouldn't be the only design criteria. I would foresee an "area rule" as used in super sonic aircraft design also being important.
Old June 23 2011, 04:37 AM   #269
MatthiasRussell
Fleet Captain

So if slipstream becomes the staple propulsion technology for starfleet, would we expect their ship of the line exploration cruisers to be smaller than the Sovereigns? And if bigger ships/slipstreams require more power output, should we expect starfleet to start R&D on more powerful eergy sources than mater/antimatter annihilation? If it was time for new propultion technology, might it also be time for new power generation technology?
Old June 23 2011, 07:40 PM   #270
Christopher
Writer

MatthiasRussell wrote: View Post
Oh sure, pull the "I postulated the theory" card. Who am I to debate relativity with Einstein, lol. Just to clarify, weren't the design criteria for slipstream laid out in David Mack books?
Dave and I were writing our respective books at the same time and we compared notes on the technology. There's info about slipstream in my Greater Than the Sum, Dave's Destiny, and Kirsten Beyer's VGR novels. But the part about the corridor width issue is mine.