MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 18 10.17%
Above Average 38 21.47%
Average 50 28.25%
Below Average 30 16.95%
Poor 41 23.16%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 12 2009, 08:13 PM   #391
IcecreamLtDan
Captain

Re: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - Grading & Discussion

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
IcecreamLtDan wrote: View Post
Having been to this museum numerous times, I can shed some light on this. While technically, it is the air and space museum, it's actually the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center. It's adjacent to Washington Dulles international airport and is close enough that calling it Washington D.C. is understandable, it's only a few miles away. They obviously filmed the interior shots in the museum itself, it's exactly how it appears in the movie. Of course, last I checked, the SR-71 is still very much there. One difference that stood out to me though, I don't remember a bathroom being at the entrance to the area where the space shuttle Enterprise is. Of course, I may be wrong on that. This museum is basically a satellite museum of the Smithsonian air and space museum that is in downtown Washington.

Also, there is no desert outside that end door. There is no aircraft graveyard out there also. There's actually probably not enough room to put one there, the museum is located between the flight path of the two runways. It's been since the late 80's since I've been to Davis-Monthan AFB, but it appears the graveyard shots are from there. I noticed the C-130 in the background had Pope AFB markings, that's only relevant to me as Pope was located in Fayetteville, N.C. where I'm from and was closed just a few years ago.

God Magnus wrote: View Post

8. The Back of the Smithsonian is a desert?
I wondered about this one too when I first saw the movie. However, after seeing it again last night, I realized that the area in the back of the hangar wasn't just sand. It was actually a huge area covered in grass, even the area Sam cuts the symbols into. The way it's described in the article, you'd think they stepped into the Sahara. I just assumed for the sake of sanity that the way the museum is in this "movie universe", it has a big open area of grass outside with old planes parked there.
IIRC, however, the exterior they show of the museum they go to is of the A&SM in "downtown" DC.
That may be true in some scenes, however some of them are indeed the outside of the Udvar-Hazy center as you can clearly see the "control tower" display they have, as well as the sculpture on the sidewalk between the parking lots, when they are all in the parking lot before entering the museum. I'd have to watch it again, which is not in my plans, to see if any of the other shots prior to them going in are from the downtown museum.

http://www.nasm.si.edu/imagedetail.cfm?imageID=350
IcecreamLtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2009, 10:08 PM   #392
payndz201
Commodore

Since Bay misplaces entire countries (hello, Israel!) and seemingly has Sam and Mikaela make a detour - on foot - to Karnak (300 miles south of the Pyramids), having DC directly abut Arizona is pretty much par for the course.
payndz201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2009, 11:13 PM   #393
IcecreamLtDan
Captain

payndz201 wrote: View Post
Since Bay misplaces entire countries (hello, Israel!) and seemingly has Sam and Mikaela make a detour - on foot - to Karnak (300 miles south of the Pyramids), having DC directly abut Arizona is pretty much par for the course.
IcecreamLtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2009, 07:19 PM   #394
romulus
Fleet Captain

I know I'm late and sorry for bumping.

The movie was OK but damn was Optimus Prime cruel in this one. Scraping other robots face off, making comments like you fall and I rise...

The Autobots seemed just as cruel to the Decepticons. Taking pleasure in killing their enemies, these guys are supposed to be the same species (I think that can be said about these robots).

I know it's just a movie but most stories are said to have a "moral" right. What was it in this one? From a robot's prospective no side would seem better IMO. They both don't give each other much mercy and hate each other like they where not "related/brothers."

Maybe it's something about war (and especially a very long one) is hell?
romulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2009, 07:26 PM   #395
Hermiod
Admiral

^Nah, it's just, once again, an example of how badly pretty much everyone involved in the production of this film understands the subject material.

Both sides are just grey, indistinct robots. There's very little to tell them apart other than what badge they wear - and one of them wears the other side's.

It's been announced in the last couple of days that the video game for this will be getting downloadable content in the shape of extra characters. One of those is G1 Starscream. I've seen a screenshot and the difference is like night and day. The character design is distinct, it has a certain amount of personality.

Only the racial stereotype twins (Mudflap and Skids) and Prime seem to have any kind of distinct personality about them.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2009, 09:08 PM   #396
Marie1
Rear Admiral

romulus wrote: View Post
I know I'm late and sorry for bumping.

The movie was OK but damn was Optimus Prime cruel in this one. Scraping other robots face off, making comments like you fall and I rise...

The Autobots seemed just as cruel to the Decepticons. Taking pleasure in killing their enemies, these guys are supposed to be the same species (I think that can be said about these robots).

I know it's just a movie but most stories are said to have a "moral" right. What was it in this one? From a robot's prospective no side would seem better IMO. They both don't give each other much mercy and hate each other like they where not "related/brothers."

Maybe it's something about war (and especially a very long one) is hell?
Well, at the point of TF2- the Autobots are fighting to keep the Decepticons from getting something that will make them unstoppable- so they may have to get dirty... plus their cranky because a lot of people aren't grateful for the help... as usual.
Vote: RA Avatar Contest #21!
"He sings lounges? I'm not familiar with that musical form."
-Taran'atar, DS9-R Mission Gamma 3 --Save Taran'atar!
Marie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2009, 09:14 PM   #397
captcalhoun
Admiral

um, watch the animated 86 movie.

"You, who are without mercy, no beg for it? I tought you were made of sterner stuff, Megatron."

says Prime just as he's about to shoot the battered Megatron who's ass he just whupped. is that so different to Bay Prime who executes Demolishor and kills The Fallen?
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2009, 09:19 PM   #398
God Magnus
Commodore

View God Magnus's Twitter Profile

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
um, watch the animated 86 movie.

"You, who are without mercy, no beg for it? I tought you were made of sterner stuff, Megatron."

says Prime just as he's about to shoot the battered Megatron who's ass he just whupped. is that so different to Bay Prime who executes Demolishor and kills The Fallen?
Yep. And also read some of the G1 and G2 comic books where war was brutal. Robots got wrecked and torn up left and right. The 80's series was a product of its time and frankly couldn't show characters getting killed left and right for a variety of reasons. The 86 movie released them from those constraints (while also being a tool to pave the way for all new toys). The way this movie portrayed the war is consistent with several past portrayals, and the way I'd expect a war between two factions lasting millions of years to be.
Old July 16 2009, 11:48 PM   #399
romulus
Fleet Captain

I guess I don't remember the 86 movie that well. I do remember it being more violent than the cartoon, but I don't remember thinking both side could be cruel. Not sure about the other stuff you're talking about. I only watched the cartoons and the movie.
romulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2009, 06:07 AM   #400
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^^^^
The '86 movie was brutal and very fatal for a number of bots/cons on both sides.
I just rewatched it a few nights ago. It still holds up well, imo, considering when it was made.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2009, 01:54 AM   #401
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

romulus wrote: View Post
I prefer some shades of gray. Optimus shooting robots doesn't bother me -- what's he going to do, put them in a very large cell? But "Give me your face!"? Just a wee bit sadistic, eh, Op? Actually the line made me laugh. And made me want to repeat it again and again.
Captain Craig wrote: View Post
^^^^^^
The '86 movie was brutal and very fatal for a number of bots/cons on both sides.
Yep. Check out some animated robot carnage from the '86 cartoon movie. I remember seeing this in the theater. It was a big WTF moment. Up until that time, robots got shot on the cartoon all the time and they just got right back up.

The funny thing about the Transformers animated movie is that Optimus Prime wasn't supposed to die originally. The G.I Joe guys -- who were by and large also the Transformers guys (there were some crossovers you would only notice if you were fans of both series, and one full-on crossover in a Transformers episode) asked if they could have Duke die in the G.I. Joe movie. Not only was that approved, but they were ordered to also kill off Optimus Prime in the TF movie. Well, TF ended up getting released first, and kids in theaters across the country balled over their hero getting killed. This prompted some letters from angry parents, causing the producers to chicken out and edit the G. I. Joe movie so that Duke lives at the end. It's a horrible edit; it's obvious he's supposed to be dead.
I just rewatched it a few nights ago. It still holds up well, imo, considering when it was made.
I was too young at the time to appreciate the mythological motifs present, similar to the way Star Wars used mythological motifs (Unicron is Grendel, Matrix is Sword in the Stone or the Force, Hot Rod is young King Arthur, Kup is Vergil from Dante's Inferno or Merlin).
Old July 21 2009, 02:42 AM   #402
Kirk's_Tights
Fleet Captain

Saw this movie last night and it sucked balls.

My robot lover, Soundwave, was so incredibly awesome. That was my main concern. Ravage was friggin' amazing as well so that made me happy.

Otherwise, I couldn't believe I was watching some of my childhood heroes on the big screen with the urge to get up and walk out of the movie. It was boring and stupid and the only parts I enjoyed were with the robots and, since 95% of this movie has irritating humans present, it made me want to run away and hide and never admit to actually buying a ticket for this movie.

Transformers was officially raped. At least the first movie was tolerable but this movie had no excuse.

Jetfire was annoying as hell. He wasn't funny at all tumbling around with a friggin CANE and whining about being old.

Megatron and Starscream brought back great memories from the show. They acted the way you expect them to act. At least this part was done properly.

I liked how Soundwave was pretty much the main decepticon in this one and was giving out orders. That owned.

Arcee was wasted. That pissed me off. She did absolutely nothing.

This movie was garbage, don't waste your time, wait for TV.

I give this movie a 2/10.

I give Shia an 8/10, and not for his acting.
Old July 21 2009, 03:13 AM   #403
LeahBoBo
Commander

Location: Dancing the Viennese Waltz on moonbeams with Legolas

The special effects were good. I liked the opening battle in Shanghai or wherever; the middle fight where Optimus is ultimately killed, and when Bumblebee knocks crap out of those annoying, hideous twins. Ultimately, I liked the scenes with Sam and Mikaela and Sam and his dad best.
LeahBoBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2009, 06:03 AM   #404
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

Crap, crap, mega-crap, Optimus-Shite! Something is deeply wrong with Michael Bay. How can he populate a movie with so much wackyness and yet justify all of these super-serious epic slow-mo shots? All of those "jive-ass" comic relief robots make Jar Jar Binks look like a spokesman for the NAACP.

Terrible acting. I've always thought Shia LaBeouf was overrated (except he was good as the sidekick in Constantine). Josh Duhmel & Tyrese Gibson are clearly not even trying. I think Megan Fox has the potential for decent work. (I'm excited about Jennifer's Body this week.) But look elsewhere for it. The roommate was even worse.

The parents were kinda funny. I could have used more of stoned mother.

Whereas John Turturro was an annoying distraction in the first film, here he was, shockingly, a welcome appearance because he's one of the only decent actors I saw in all 2 1/2 hours.

And WTF is up with that runtime? How does a movie expect to hold anyone's attention for that long when it's practically a commercial for Ritalin? That was my one major note after the first one; make the sequel shorter. If you're going to be this crappy, can you at least be short?
Old October 27 2009, 08:37 PM   #405
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Transformers 2: How It Should Have Ended

HISHE

Yeah, sorry for the -slight- necromancy, but thought I'd share.