Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 18 10.17%
Above Average 38 21.47%
Average 50 28.25%
Below Average 30 16.95%
Poor 41 23.16%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 8 2009, 07:41 AM   #361
RoJoHen
Awesome

Re: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - Grading & Discussion

Garak wrote: View Post
This movie sounds so bad I feel compelled to see it.
That is exactly why you should see it.

See it for the sake of experiencing just how mind-blowingly crappy it is.
Old July 8 2009, 03:28 PM   #362
RAMA
Vice Admiral

OK I rated it avg strictly for its FX, otherwise it would have been below avg. I was one of the Bay haters who enjoyed the first Transformers movie...it was a good mix of action, jokes, and some top notch FX...but this movie was a mess...like they threw all that into a blender and came up with this sequel. I love epic war/battle scenes, but this movie's battles were interminable and confusing. The plot was really stupid. The ancient astronaut theory has been dead for years, why resurrect it? Not a good blockbuster at ALL.

RAMA
Old July 8 2009, 06:09 PM   #363
exodus
Fleet Admiral

RAMA wrote: View Post
OK I rated it avg strictly for its FX, otherwise it would have been below avg. I was one of the Bay haters who enjoyed the first Transformers movie...it was a good mix of action, jokes, and some top notch FX...but this movie was a mess...like they threw all that into a blender and came up with this sequel. I love epic war/battle scenes, but this movie's battles were interminable and confusing. The plot was really stupid. The ancient astronaut theory has been dead for years, why resurrect it? Not a good blockbuster at ALL.

RAMA
WORD!!!!!
Old July 9 2009, 02:39 AM   #364
Marie1
Rear Admiral

I hadn't seen the first one, so I got together with some friends, watched it, then went to see the second.

I really liked both, I liked the first slightly better, the jokes in 2 were a bit repetitive after a while, I'm not sure why... but it was still cool robots smacking each other around.

Sam was a bit childish at times, but I forget he's as young as he is.

I never do this- but I will say I liked the two films enough that when I saw a Transformers t-shirt on sale cheap (the Heroes never Die! one) I bought it. Has anyone else seen it anywhere? I couldn't find pictures online... guess I could post one...

#1- 8.5/10
#2- 7.5/10

Plus I got a survey thing with my food at the theatre, it took maybe 2 minutes, no real PI needed, and I got a free movie ticket out of it. So good time all around!
Vote: RA Avatar Contest #21!
"He sings lounges? I'm not familiar with that musical form."
-Taran'atar, DS9-R Mission Gamma 3 --Save Taran'atar!
Marie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2009, 06:23 AM   #365
Manticore
Rear Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
8. Sam's balls completely fall off. So much-so that when a hot blonde-girl tries to jump him he turns into a weenie who has never touched a girl before -all afraid to touch her, kiss her, or do anything. Oh, and single, standard-sized grocery-store sheet-cake is enough for a college frat party. A college that, it seems, doesn't allow Freshmen to own cars(!). It's also one of those movie/TV colleges where all of the women are hot.
Not to defend this movie, but my school didn't allow freshmen or sophomores to have university parking permits, actually.
Old July 9 2009, 07:07 PM   #366
Marie1
Rear Admiral

^ That suck... all years at my uni could have them. Parking spots went fast, and the permits were costly but we could all buy them.
Old July 9 2009, 08:47 PM   #367
RoJoHen
Awesome

Manticore wrote: View Post
8. Sam's balls completely fall off. So much-so that when a hot blonde-girl tries to jump him he turns into a weenie who has never touched a girl before -all afraid to touch her, kiss her, or do anything. Oh, and single, standard-sized grocery-store sheet-cake is enough for a college frat party. A college that, it seems, doesn't allow Freshmen to own cars(!). It's also one of those movie/TV colleges where all of the women are hot.
Not to defend this movie, but my school didn't allow freshmen or sophomores to have university parking permits, actually.
We could have parking permits, but they cost over $500, so most freshmen at my college opted not to bring their car. I'm sure Sam was allowed to have his car at college (you can't exactly forbid someone from owning a car), but he probably wasn't able to legally park it anywhere.
Old July 9 2009, 08:58 PM   #368
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Such a thing is absurd. Considering college students sometimes hold part-time jobs, may need to go to stores for things like groceries, clothes, or drive home for the weekend/over vacations.

I can't believe such a thing would exsist.
Old July 9 2009, 09:05 PM   #369
The Evil Dead
Vice Admiral

View The Evil Dead's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Evil Dead

RoJoHen wrote: View Post

See it for the sake of experiencing just how mind-blowingly crappy it is.
I think I actually enjoyed the sequel more because it was so crappy, like I was consistently being challenged by the film to keep watching it...which kind of made it fun.
Old July 9 2009, 09:18 PM   #370
RoJoHen
Awesome

Such a thing is absurd. Considering college students sometimes hold part-time jobs, may need to go to stores for things like groceries, clothes, or drive home for the weekend/over vacations.

I can't believe such a thing would exsist.
It exists because college campuses only have a limited number of parking spaces, so they give them out (well, you still have to pay for them) based on seniority. It's actually pretty common.
Old July 9 2009, 09:18 PM   #371
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

I think my biggest problems with the film apart from everything that has been mentioned over and over, is that:
1.) Having Megatron be subservient to anyone. I mean Vader became a weaker more passive character in ROTJ in many ways, at least as a villain (not a good guy) when he had to answer to the emporer.
Megatron has always been one of my favorite pop culture villains, if not my favorite. He just has so much confidence in what he does. Even though he was subserviant to Unicron, he hated being so and resisted it at every turn. He willingly served the Fallen here, and that weakened the character.

2.the use of fantasy sure they are robots that turn into vehicles and they are from another planet bla bla bla, but the first film was smart in how it managed to keep it real, from the realistic military strategy to take down Scorponok to the all-out brawl at the end. Once the "fantasy" was introduced the first film treated it like any other element in an action film. Tha last bit of fantasy introduced in the first film was shrinking the cube, but somehow I bought this contrivance. I did not buy the magic of the matrix reforming from dust
Old July 9 2009, 09:50 PM   #372
captcalhoun
Admiral

you'd hate the comics then. the Matrix of Leadership, aka the Creation Matrix is actually the life essence of Primus, the Transformer God. that was never part of the cartoon. the Matrix is used in the comic to imbue Transformers with life. It doesn't create Transformers from machines, it brings to life Transformers built by other Transformers.

(the AllSpark being an invention of the later Beast-era cartoons)
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2009, 10:06 PM   #373
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

-the concept isn't bad, and I do like the comics I've read.

My distinction is that in a film, particularly fantasy films, you have to stick to rules, to make them seem real and grounded. I could reccommend the first film to my father and he's appreciate it on the level of ID4 which he likes a lot. The point is once your suspension of disbelief happens, it should be done in an otherwise realistic way, and things shouldn't just come together in the last act. Films are a different medium, and the first film for all its flaws uderstood that.
Old July 9 2009, 10:06 PM   #374
Marie1
Rear Admiral

^ I did not know this... tho I have no Transformers background, so I'll need to study up (even if the next film isn't till 2011 (Bay) or 2012 (not Bay).

Which would be better, if they'd have gone with the comic maybe? (Re: AllSpark, if I'm understanding this).
Old July 10 2009, 05:37 AM   #375
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Shocking that it has already almost surpassed the total of the far superior first movie. *shakes head*

RAMA