Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 18 10.17%
Above Average 38 21.47%
Average 50 28.25%
Below Average 30 16.95%
Poor 41 23.16%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 4 2009, 04:35 AM   #316
Newski
Captain

Send a message via AIM to Newski
Re: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - Grading & Discussion

Hermiod wrote: View Post
Poor.

Quite possibly the worst movie I've ever paid to see in a cinema. It goes on for far too long with a plot that makes no sense explained in confusing dialogue you can barely hear over all the explosions and things generally smashing about. I couldn't tell one Decepticon from the other and most of the Autobots lacked any kind of personality.

The "comedy" with Sam's parents and his roommate was terrible and did not make me laugh once either.

I was waiting for Rodimus Prime to show up there when the Matrix of Leadership came up.
Thank you. I thought this was a solo fight, as people have told me to "lighten up" and said that the movie was "Fantastic", " better than the first" (which I hated, but could find redeeming value in, and could watch more than once without contemplating suicide).... When, truth is, if we keep allowing shit like this to pass, the movie "Idiocracy" will cease to be a comedy and soon be a mockumentary.
Newski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2009, 06:27 AM   #317
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Saw the film finally. It is what it is, a popcorn flick with lots of FX. It was entertaining. Definitely check your brain at the door entertainment, and really about the nostolgia of the TF themselves. There were some good scenes and some scenes that went on too long.

Re: Jetfire not being able to upgrade himself -- this was the central point of the movie. The Transformers need a source of energon to maintain themselves. Without it, they eventually fall apart and die. We see it happen on Cybertron as Megatron and Starscream talk the "hatchlings" dying, or whatever those Muppet Babie transformers were, and Jetfire himself complains to Sam and the others that this is happening to him.

The most glaring error of the film -- and I can't believe no one noticed this -- is that after the Constructicons form Devastator, individual Constructicons are still fighting with Autobots. There's really no explanation. They aren't just look-alike drones, either. Starscream calls Long Haul by name at the same time Devastator is tearing apart the pyramid. WTF?

Soundwave did nothing but float in space and coordinate Decepticons. Did he even have a robot mode, or was he just a satellite with a head. Loved hearing Welker's voice, though. It was recognizably G1 Soundwave, even though they didn't use the vocodor. I like how Ravage "ejected" from him, too.

I was confused by the Arcee "twins." Are they three individual 'bots, or three components of the same 'bot? The filmmakers didn't appear to care to explain; Arcee gets all of one line before she's blown away.

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
captcalhoun wrote: View Post
tehy walk out of the Smithsonian in Washington...
That's what I thought too, but they were at the Smithsonian in Virginia, which is near a small clearing and an airport.
But according to Simmons, they were going to D.C.
Old July 4 2009, 08:57 PM   #318
Mr Light
Admiral

Friday: TF2 again beats Ice Age 3 by a smidge with $17.8 million. It's now made Domestic $268,737,000 + Foreign $240,178,819 = $508,915,819. Anybody know how much Dark Knight made 10 days in? Could TF2 top Dark Knight?!?!?!

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2009, 09:04 PM   #319
captcalhoun
Admiral

Megan Fox was interviewed in last month's Total Film and said:

"It is what it is. Everybody just shut the fuck up and go have fun. [...]If you don't wanna see it, then don't fucking go and pay for it! Stay home!"

couldn't agree more.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2009, 09:07 PM   #320
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
Megan Fox was interviewed in last month's Total Film and said:

"It is what it is. Everybody just shut the fuck up and go have fun. [...]If you don't wanna see it, then don't fucking go and pay for it! Stay home!"

couldn't agree more.
Same here.
Old July 4 2009, 09:12 PM   #321
Daneel
Rear Admiral

Mr. Light wrote:
Friday: TF2 again beats Ice Age 3 by a smidge with $17.8 million. It's now made Domestic $268,737,000 + Foreign $240,178,819 = $508,915,819. Anybody know how much Dark Knight made 10 days in? Could TF2 top Dark Knight?!?!?!
Not sure about the foreign totals, but The Dark Knight had made $313,781,677 domestically after 10 days, so ROTF hasn't beat its record there. TDK eventually topped out at just over a billion dollars worldwide -- could Transformers: ROTF do the same? I'm not sure, but TDK certainly had better buzz in its favour. Clearly, the negative word of mouth from critics and (some) moviegoers hasn't hurt the film at the box office yet, but it's possible we'll see a fairly steep falloff soon.
Daneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2009, 09:45 PM   #322
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Okay, the morning after there's still some things I'm unclear about.

When Megatron launched himself out of the ocean and into space, where did he fly to? I was busy messing with my popcorn and missed something. Did he fly/teleport all the way to Cybertron, or was that the Nemesis where he met with the Fallen and Starscream?

Who was the big guy rolling on the big wheel at the beginning of the film? Seeing his image online and in the trailers, I had thought he was a Constructicon, but he's killed early on. What was his name?

Who was the guy the Constructicons killed so the Doctor could use his parts to revive Megatron? Orci did an interview where he made it sound like this was going to be a G1 reference, but if it was it went over my head.

Surely the one thing no one can complain about was the FX, right? Actually, maybe I'll be the only one. Don't get me wrong, the FX on the whole were incredible, the detail just astounding. Many Transformers look even more photo-realistic this time. However... many scenes I thought looked cartoonish. It's still eye-candy, but not as convincing somehow as it was in the first movie.

On the whole, however, it was a movie I know my inner 10 year old Transformers geek would have died to have seen back in the day. And that's really, I think, the way to enjoy this film. Bonus points to the filmmakers for working Pretenders and insecticons into the movie. The movie Pretender made a lot more sense than the original G1 pretenders did.

You know, though, I really wish when Soundwave had launched Ravage, he said, "Ravage, eject. Operation: retrieval."
Mr Light wrote: View Post
My initial complaint about the movie is why do you side-line Megatron AGAIN to introduce his never-before-referred-to-master-who-he-is-all-loyal-to?
To be fair, the Fallen is a character who actually has appeared before in the Transformers mythos. So he wasn't invented out of whole cloth by the filmmakers.

Last edited by Hober Mallow; July 4 2009 at 10:29 PM.
Hober Mallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2009, 12:50 AM   #323
Mr Light
Admiral

Yeah, I know. I just mean in regards to the first movie. There's no mention of someone being above Megatron in the chain of command.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2009, 07:21 AM   #324
L_E_E
Cadet

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Who was the big guy rolling on the big wheel at the beginning of the film? Seeing his image online and in the trailers, I had thought he was a Constructicon, but he's killed early on. What was his name?
DEMOLISHER, I think.

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Who was the guy the Constructicons killed so the Doctor could use his parts to revive Megatron? Orci did an interview where he made it sound like this was going to be a G1 reference, but if it was it went over my head.
Some say it's HIGHTOWER.

I watched the movie in IMAX 3D. It cost some moolah since I had to pay for 5 people. But it was worth it. I wanna watch it again because I felt like I missed a lot of things. I'll just ignore the toilet humor. I just wanna see giant effing robots fighting!

Can't wait for the DVD.
L_E_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2009, 02:38 PM   #325
Finnegan
Captain

This movie was total crap.
Old July 5 2009, 04:37 PM   #326
captcalhoun
Admiral

When Megatron launched himself out of the ocean and into space, where did he fly to? I was busy messing with my popcorn and missed something. Did he fly/teleport all the way to Cybertron, or was that the Nemesis where he met with the Fallen and Starscream?
it's a Decepticon ship. said by some sources to be on Titan. the comic adap names it as the Nemesis.

as noted above, Demolishor. technically, he is a constructicon in that he's a contruction vehicle decepticon, but since Long Haul and Rampage are clearly seperate to Devastator, the g1 constructicons and these are not the same.

High Tower, as said above. i'm not aware of any G1 references there, since High Tower was never a G1 Constructicon. the G1 Constructicons were Hook, Mixmaster, Long Haul, Bonecrusher, Scrapper and Scavenger. High Tower was a 'Build Team' in Robots in Disguise, a group of Autobot contruction vehicles who became 'Build King'. the Constructicon High Towers are from Universe and Classics.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2009, 07:59 PM   #327
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

So, basically, just chucking Megatron into the ocean wasn't a good idea, eh?

Really that was incredibly stupid. Wouldn't have made more sense to destroy him? Chuck him to a volcano, or something like that? But, nope, we're just going to toss him into the ocean. Out of sight, out of mind.
Old July 5 2009, 08:21 PM   #328
Ethros
Vice Admiral

^ Well they say at the end of the first film the pressures down there will crush him like an egg

... I guess that didn't happen then
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2009, 01:29 AM   #329
Blue_Trek
Captain

It was pretty obvious Megatron would be back, the leaders of each faction are always getting resurrected
Old July 6 2009, 02:39 AM   #330
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Ethros wrote: View Post
^ Well they say at the end of the first film the pressures down there will crush him like an egg

... I guess that didn't happen then
Yeah and extreme cold was supposed to render the robots inert.

Eitherway, still wasn't a bright idea. I mean you can either chuck him in the coean and hope that pressures/cold make him inert or you can be sure he is gone and destroy him with a bomb, or chucking him into a lava flow or something.

What they did at the end of the first movie was pretty much:

"No, I'm going to place him in an easily escapable situation involving an overly elaborate and exotic death and I'm not going to actualy watch him die I'm just going to close the door and leave him with one inept gaurd and assume everything went to plan."