RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,693
Members: 24,829
Currently online: 543
Newest member: 713brianp27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 18 10.17%
Above Average 38 21.47%
Average 50 28.25%
Below Average 30 16.95%
Poor 41 23.16%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 18 2009, 04:16 AM   #16
Aike
Commander

Re: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - Grading & Discussion

Anwar wrote: View Post
I didn't see the first one in the theaters 2 years ago. Won't make that mistake again, Bay showed that you can make an entertaining flick out of giant robots trashing the place.
I didn´t either and was very surprised how good the first one was considering the cartoon sucked.

So I will be there too.

That´s one major reason why Transformers will be the biggest movie of the year: lots of new people that saw the first one on dvd will show up.
Aike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2009, 07:33 AM   #17
captcalhoun
Admiral

i've got tomorrow off to go see it. 1:50PM showing! :heehee:
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2009, 09:10 AM   #18
nx1701g
Admiral

Best line:

Judy Witwicky: Look at this place! I feel smarter already! Can you smell that?
Ron Witwicky: Yeah, it's the smell of $40,000 a year...

Sounds like my parents...
Old June 19 2009, 05:03 AM   #19
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Here's a fan rendition of Devastator...

And here's what he's supposed to look like in the movie. From what little I've seen, he comes off as kind of ape-like.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2009, 05:06 AM   #20
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Wow, seeing that size scale makes me wonder what will happen if they ever bring Metroplex or Trypticon into this.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2009, 05:13 AM   #21
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral

Gonna have to wait until next week to see it.
ElimParra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2009, 06:17 AM   #22
Jono
Rear Admiral

Wow, seeing that size scale makes me wonder what will happen if they ever bring Metroplex or Trypticon into this.
Or Omega Supreme. I really hope he is in the next movie (if there is one). One of the best moments in the recent IDW comics was when Omega Supreme turns up to help the Autobots and then later takes on Devastator.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2009, 06:30 AM   #23
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

Devin from CHUD is calling it a "woeful disaster".

How am I not surprised...
Old June 19 2009, 10:25 AM   #24
Cky
Captain

I saw it last night for the advanced screening, and I have to say - do not watch this film if you love the first one. Honestly, Bay hasn't improved the film in the slightest and this is annoying to say because the first Transformers film is in my top 3 films, but this one doesn't make the cut.

It's just another Michael Bay movie now. "We'll put an explosion here... and another one here!!! Oh, I got an idea, a really loud explosion!!!". The storyline isn't really good, it's another "oh no, Earth will blow up" crap. The only good fight in the film is between Optimus vs Megatron, Starscream and I think 2 other Decepticons, and Optimus kicks ass for a while. But everything is so fucking confusing, especially the end battle where most of the time you're sat there saying "is that a Decepticon or an Autobot?"

Not to mention the fact Bay has crammed in so much shit that the original characters hardly do anything. Bumblebee is seen in about 15 minutes of the film (and does have a good fight if I'm honest). I think Rachet and Ironhide have all of 2-3 lines, the 2 new Autobots don't say anything, and there's still no explination as to why there's a female Autobot, which is why Bay left Archee out in the first film.

My main problem with this film though, is there is too much fucking comedy. The twins characters, honestly, they're talking everytime they're on screen (which is almost all the fucking time) and they're always trying to crack jokes and make the audience laugh. It worked, but after a good hour of it, you start to get bored. Then all the other characters who were in there for comic relief. Simmons, Sams doomroom buddy, and just ugh. Even the last battle was seemingly IN THE SAME PLACE THE FILMED THE FIRST BATTLE IN THE FIRST FILM. You even get the "bring the rain" line from the same character. Along with like 20 Decepticons who've come out of no-where.

I'll give a better review later, just wanted to jot my thoughts down before I go to work.

A modest 7/10 for me.
Old June 19 2009, 12:06 PM   #25
The Evil Dead
Vice Admiral

View The Evil Dead's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Evil Dead

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
Devin from CHUD is calling it a "woeful disaster".

How am I not surprised...
On Twitter he posted "TRANSFORMERS is a disaster. A tedious, grueling disaster." He states that he enjoyed the first movie a lot but went on to ask of the second film "why is it so BORING? why is there so little action? Why so much slooooow bullshit?"
Old June 19 2009, 03:32 PM   #26
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Cky has this bang on the money. I just got back from the cinema and thought the same things on every point. Yes, it had some funny lines but it went way overboard with it. And those twins? First, who the hell are they, and second, why weren't they destroyed? Awful.

The best bits for me were:
Every exchange between Megatron and Starscream
The opening chases/fights
Optimus vs Megatron, Starscream and whoever the other Deception was ("I'll take you all on!!!")
Constructicon (I assume that's who the multi-bot was)
Ravage
Jetfire (the only one with a personality)
Megan Fox
The prologue in the past, solely because it made me think about Beast Wars

I switched off a lot during this film, which is a ridiculous thing to happen in a film about giant fighting robots who can transform into stuff. Well, allegedly. Not a lot of transforming actually happened. Too much human waffle again.

I'd give it 7/10 as well.
Old June 19 2009, 03:34 PM   #27
Saul
Rear Admiral

I say, if you hated the first one you'll like this one.
Old June 19 2009, 05:33 PM   #28
captcalhoun
Admiral

i loved the first one and i FUCKING LOVE THIS ONE!

FUCK ALL YOU HATERS!

Jetfire and the Twins got a lot of laughs in my showing! Okay, I'm kinda disappointed Sideswipe and Arcee didn't get to do a lot, but what they did do was cool.

I absolutely loved Prime kicking Megs, Screamer and Blackout's asses. Even better was Primefire kicking Megatron and The Fallen's butts. Sideswipe's disposal of Sideways was cool.

The other thing that also irritated me a bit was the fact that Demolishor, Sideways and so many of the Decepticons never even got names.

Devastator is not the combiner we all know from G1. He's the combined form of six or seven construction vehicles, true, but Long Haul, Rampage et al are seperate from him, literally. He's after Simmonds whilst the others are scrapping with the 'bots.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2009, 05:45 PM   #29
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Jono wrote: View Post
Or Omega Supreme.
Or hell even Unicron.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2009, 05:57 PM   #30
Cky
Captain

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
i loved the first one and i FUCKING LOVE THIS ONE!

FUCK ALL YOU HATERS!

Jetfire and the Twins got a lot of laughs in my showing! Okay, I'm kinda disappointed Sideswipe and Arcee didn't get to do a lot, but what they did do was cool.

I absolutely loved Prime kicking Megs, Screamer and Blackout's asses. Even better was Primefire kicking Megatron and The Fallen's butts. Sideswipe's disposal of Sideways was cool.

The other thing that also irritated me a bit was the fact that Demolishor, Sideways and so many of the Decepticons never even got names.

Devastator is not the combiner we all know from G1. He's the combined form of six or seven construction vehicles, true, but Long Haul, Rampage et al are seperate from him, literally. He's after Simmonds whilst the others are scrapping with the 'bots.
Please don't get me wrong, I did like the film. Just in this one Bay has tried to force feed us so much pointless, unneeded shit that it's made the film (in my opinion) not as good as it could have been.

Going back quickly to what HappyDayRiot said about the things he liked, one thing did niggle at me slightly which is the exchanges between Megatron and Starscream. But the problem was, did anyone else feel that Starscream was just a complete pussy during the whole film? I loved the Starscream from the first film, and as far as I know, Starscream always secretly hated Megatron and Optimus because he thought their personal battle wasn't for the best of his race, and he wants to overthrow Megatron and take control of the Decepticons. I got non of that from him in this film.

But again, Bay went too overboard on this movie. I would have been happier with, a couple more Decepticons and Autobots, but not so many so we loose all character development, and end up having Sam shouting "OPTIMUS" every 10 minutes. Other than Optimus, there was no character development from any Autobot.

Sorry editing! I want to clearly point out once again, that I still thought this was a good movie. I'm not saying it wasn't good, just Bay crammed too much in to it. This is the Spider-man 3 of the Transformers series in my opinion.