Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 18 10.17%
Above Average 38 21.47%
Average 50 28.25%
Below Average 30 16.95%
Poor 41 23.16%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 30 2009, 11:45 AM   #256
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile
Re: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - Grading & Discussion

I decided to see this one yesterday.
It was disappointing overall and about 50 minutes too long.

The good ?
I really enjoyed and liked the battles and the robots kicking each others ass. Especially the forest battle.
And contrary to many, I had no real problem following the action or see who was the Autobot and who the Decepticon.
I also liked the Autobots working with a military team angle. Soundwave wasn't bad and it was good that Megatron and Starscream got to speak more in this one. And the Megan Fox on the bike scene was nice.

That was about it really as far as the goods in this movie go.

The humor was a failure for the most part, the twins and the mom where useless, stupid, annoying and a complete waste of screen time and especially after they meet the Sector 7 guy the movie really started to drag...

Had they cut the twins, toned down the mom, had less "humor", reduced the length to about 2 hours and done some better editing job this could have actually been fun.

Well, at least we'll always have the robot battles.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2009, 12:45 PM   #257
MNM
Captain

TGTheodore wrote: View Post
MNM wrote: View Post
TGTheodore wrote: View Post

Yeah. It proves you can fool anyone at least once.

--Ted
Yeah, because if people like a film you dont enjoy, and pay their money repeatedly to watch it, the only reason is that they were fooled or they dont have as refined taste as you do.
No, it means they got the audience member to pay at least once, regardless of the quality (or lack thereof) of the movie. ET 2 could be a pile of steaming crap, but would do phenomenal business its first weekend, too.

--Ted
You assume, from your line, that the auidence went to see it as they were "fooled". You dont take into the account the possibility that people were completely aware of what type of movie it would be like, based off the first one, how Michael Bay normally directs a film, and advertisement for this film, and they went to see it anyway as they were looking forward to it.

The post I quoted of you also involved you and another poster both lamenting the fact that the movie had made such a large amount of money and how that was "sad".

Like the movie or dont, I personally dont care as it doesnt affect my enjoyment of the movie either way. However, what does annoy me on discussions like this, is when people put forward the impression that the only way people could possibly like movies like this is, if they were fooled into paying their money, or that their taste is somehow inferior to the people criticising the movie.
MNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2009, 02:20 PM   #258
Llama
Captain

I could tolerate the penis jokes; I could tolerate the racist/gender/age etc stereotypes; but I could NOT tolerate the bad geography. PICK UP A FUCKING ATLAS!

* Egypt is not Jordan (nor is it Saudi Arabia as one map showed) - I'm pretty sure Egypt wouldn't want clearly designated Jordan warplanes flying in its airspace
* You cannot walk from Petra in Jordan to the Pyramids in Geza (well you could, but it would take a while - and you'd need food and water...and several weeks...)
* There is no border between Jordan and Egypt (hence no border crossing) - Israel is in the way
* And didn't the ruins near the pyramids look a lot like the Iraqi town in the first movie (well all arabs are the same...)
Old June 30 2009, 02:29 PM   #259
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
TheBolianChef wrote: View Post
You know, if you are going to critique the movie, you should at least watch it. I've been paying for movies lately, even though I don't have to (and not illegally either).

Transformers was an overbloated mess. Instead of getting some real characterization for the characters they had in the first movie, they decided to throw more in there. Does anyone know which Decepticons were in this movie? There was like 15 and only three really talked.

Also, Megan Fox sucks. Sorry. But if that's going to be half of the movie, seriously, get a stronger actress.

It was a bad movie over all.
Megan Fox definitely isn't the strongest actress ever, but I think the bigger problem is they tried to turn her into a soft lovey dovey type, and that's clearly NOT who she is. You could tell she was cringing inside at some of that corny dialogue she had to say. lol
Watching her run in that shirt helped distract from the constant explosions at least.

EDIT: Looking through the thread I see Jack Bauer agrees with me.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2009, 02:36 PM   #260
Llama
Captain

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
davejames wrote: View Post
TheBolianChef wrote: View Post
You know, if you are going to critique the movie, you should at least watch it. I've been paying for movies lately, even though I don't have to (and not illegally either).

Transformers was an overbloated mess. Instead of getting some real characterization for the characters they had in the first movie, they decided to throw more in there. Does anyone know which Decepticons were in this movie? There was like 15 and only three really talked.

Also, Megan Fox sucks. Sorry. But if that's going to be half of the movie, seriously, get a stronger actress.

It was a bad movie over all.
Megan Fox definitely isn't the strongest actress ever, but I think the bigger problem is they tried to turn her into a soft lovey dovey type, and that's clearly NOT who she is. You could tell she was cringing inside at some of that corny dialogue she had to say. lol
Watching her run in that shirt helped distract from the constant explosions at least.

EDIT: Looking through the thread I see Jack Bauer agrees with me.
Megan Fox did help to distract me from the bad geography in those final scenes...
Old June 30 2009, 03:08 PM   #261
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

AVERAGE

My time has been tight and I can't read through the opinions so sorry if I repeat some other points.

I really loved the first one. I've watched my DVD countless times. I grew up on the stuff and was prepared to be let down when TF1 came out but was pleasantly surprised. With Fallen I finally was let down. I grade it 'average' cause in the grand scope I've seen much worse. Knowing how they made the first one good this one is pale in comparison.

My gripes:
- Where were all my Autobots? Ratchet and Ironhide were barely there. Bumblebee can't talk, come on. It was a good one off thing in the first one but he needs to talk.

- The Autobots I do get are foul mouthed assholes. Mudflap and Skids got the lions share of 'bot time and I felt like it was JarJar times two but with cursing. Hey Michael Bay parents can't take their kids to this, or they wont when word gets out. Pussy, you really had them say that.

- Momma Witwicky. Nice to know her character became NOTHING but comic relief. Way over the top. Waaaay over.

- Wheelie humping Mikela's leg. Really? WTF?

- Devastator - thanks I saw the trailer. For such a BIG aspect of what could've been he not only was underutilzed and shown 98% in the trailer but was beaten rather easily. What a waste.

The good.
- Megatron and Starscream has bickering 'cons was increased and was good.

- Primes forrest battle.

- Mikela + leather

- Liked how the army was used but this time I feel like they were crammed into the movie.

I demand I better TF:3, thats all for now.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2009, 08:39 PM   #262
God Magnus
Commodore

View God Magnus's Twitter Profile

Braxton wrote: View Post
Also, Optimus Prime is ruined. He executes a Decepticon! Optimus Prime does not execute. He expressed regret over defeating Megatron in the first movie.
Yes, but ultimately he is a warrior, however noble. This is war, and letting Demolishor go rolling around China would have meant more humans hurt/killed and that was unacceptable. In war, you make harsh choices and killing your enemy is among them. And it's not like he just tied the guy up and blew his head off. Demolishor did a fair bit of killing and smashing himself before they caught up to him.

This is also consistent with his portrayal in the original series. Never mind the series (where few consequences of battles were ever shown) but in the 1986 movie Prime was ready to execute Megatron despite his pleas for mercy.
Old June 30 2009, 08:54 PM   #263
captcalhoun
Admiral

Llama wrote: View Post
I could tolerate the penis jokes; I could tolerate the racist/gender/age etc stereotypes; but I could NOT tolerate the bad geography. PICK UP A FUCKING ATLAS!

* Egypt is not Jordan (nor is it Saudi Arabia as one map showed) - I'm pretty sure Egypt wouldn't want clearly designated Jordan warplanes flying in its airspace
* You cannot walk from Petra in Jordan to the Pyramids in Geza (well you could, but it would take a while - and you'd need food and water...and several weeks...)
* There is no border between Jordan and Egypt (hence no border crossing) - Israel is in the way
* And didn't the ruins near the pyramids look a lot like the Iraqi town in the first movie (well all arabs are the same...)
yeah, and there's no mountains in frigging Qatar either...and when the USAF flies to Diego Garcia, they fly westward across the Pacific and don't go near Egypt...
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2009, 09:01 PM   #264
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

Awesome review: Michael Bay finally made an art movie

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2009, 09:05 PM   #265
RoJoHen
Awesome

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
Llama wrote: View Post

yeah, and there's no mountains in frigging Qatar either...and when the USAF flies to Diego Garcia, they fly westward across the Pacific and don't go near Egypt...
I don't know anything about Middle Eastern geography, but if this is all true, then it makes this movie that much more hilarious.
Old June 30 2009, 09:16 PM   #266
davejames
Vice Admiral

The thing I find hilarious, is that Micaela could fly to Sam's school in a matter of minutes, and Sam and Bumblebee could drive to Petra in minutes..... yet it took seemingly FOREVER for Sam and Micaela to make their way to Prime with the magic Matrix dust at the end! lol

Just one more example of how incredibly sloppy and haphazard the plotting in this movie was. I don't mind mindless action, but there at least has to be SOME kind of internal logic underneath it all. Once a movie starts jumping around randomly for no reason, that's when I start tuning out.
davejames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2009, 09:56 PM   #267
Admiral Bear
Captain

I've just gone to Box Office Mojo and seen the worldwide gross for this movie after a little over 10 days of release.

HOLY SHIT!

$1bn anyone?
Admiral Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2009, 10:40 PM   #268
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

DevilEyes wrote: View Post
"[Shia LeBouf] babbling like a tumor removed from Woddy Allen's prostate that somehow achieved sentience."

Old June 30 2009, 11:09 PM   #269
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Re: Grindor -- isn't it just Blackout? According to Hasbro, there is no "Grindor," it was simply a name they used to prevent the public from learning that Blackout was returning. So is Blackout in the movie or is it clearly a different robot?
Old July 1 2009, 12:36 AM   #270
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Re: Grindor -- isn't it just Blackout? According to Hasbro, there is no "Grindor," it was simply a name they used to prevent the public from learning that Blackout was returning. So is Blackout in the movie or is it clearly a different robot?
It's not Blackout. Grindor is a different character. Linky
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote