RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,737
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 970
Newest member: DeimosAnimus

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 16 2009, 12:39 AM   #1
DarthAkuma
Commander

Should I see it on IMAX?

As big cities wind down the IMAX run, my small city is opening its Star Trek IMAX run this Friday on a real IMAX screen (not the smaller IMAX Experience screens).

Question: Should I see it on IMAX or is it just the same movie on a bigger screen? (meaning, is there any benefit other than it being on a larger screen - after all, I don't believe it was shot in IMAX to take full advantage of the technology)
DarthAkuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2009, 12:46 AM   #2
MvRojo
Vice Admiral

Re: Should I see it on IMAX?

The sound quality is much more dynamic in the IMAX screens. I think it's worth it to see it on IMAX. I've seen in five times that way, and 4 times on regular 35mm film.
MvRojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2009, 12:48 AM   #3
Captain Randy Hall
Commodore

DarthAkuma wrote: View Post
As big cities wind down the IMAX run, my small city is opening its Star Trek IMAX run this Friday on a real IMAX screen (not the smaller IMAX Experience screens).

Question: Should I see it on IMAX or is it just the same movie on a bigger screen? (meaning, is there any benefit other than it being on a larger screen - after all, I don't believe it was shot in IMAX to take full advantage of the technology)
If at all possible, catch the IMAX experience. They had it for a week here in Maryland and I was fortunate enough to catch it there for my second viewing, and it made for a more dramatic experience.

YES, GO!

Last edited by Captain Randy Hall; June 16 2009 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Typing. It is not logical.
Captain Randy Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2009, 12:55 AM   #4
james63
Cadet

Absolutely YESSSS!!
james63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2009, 12:56 AM   #5
Kpnuts
Commodore

I wasn't impressed with IMAX.

The Empire cinema in Leicester square was far more enjoyable. You weren't up close to the screen, the sound quality was FAR better and louder, and the picture was shown using digital projection ie. perfect.

Then again cinemas in the USA are rubbish, so perhaps IMAX is better for you.
Kpnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2009, 02:03 AM   #6
Geckothan
Fleet Captain

I'd wholeheartedly recommend it. I saw it at the BFI IMAX in London and it was a fantastic experience. I'm not a big fan of the movie itself, but it's still great fun regardless. It's quite overwhelming having most of your vision encompassed by the picture.

The picture was a bit grainy in places and a bit soft in others, but considering the has essentially been upscaled and projected on to a giant screen, it's a given that the quality isn't going to be as good as something that's actually been shot for IMAX. It didn't detract from the experience for me though, the picture quality was more than adequate. The sound wasn't particularily loud, but it wasn't too quiet and the quality + surround was far better than anything I've heard in your average multiplex.

Of course, sound and picture quality will vary from theatre to theatre, but it should be decent on any genuine huge IMAX screen. I imagine "fake" digital IMAX isn't bad either, but probably not as exciting as having the picture in your face.

RIP Star Trek 1964-1999
Geckothan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2009, 02:26 AM   #7
seigezunt
Vice Admiral

Location: Splashing on some Tiberius before a night on the town

If you still can, YES.
I am constantly surprised by the close-mindedness of some fans...this means change as well as a positive attitude. Without those things, how can we ever achieve that Trek future we enjoyed so much on TV? --Bjo Trimble
seigezunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2009, 02:29 AM   #8
Jeri
Vice Admiral

The only time I didn't see it in IMAX was when I couldn't. For a couple of weeks "Museum" had the IMAX, and I had to see it regular. We only have a multiplex IMAX, but it's huge picture and huge sound. You have to move your head to see all of it at times.
Old June 16 2009, 02:31 AM   #9
donners22
Commodore

I found IMAX to be far worse than a regular cinema experience, because the cuts in the action scenes made them damn near impossible to follow on the much bigger screen. It might be better if you've seen it before (that was my first screening), but it was certainly very hard for me to watch it there.
Janeway: Ha! Good one, Ensign. Take us in, Mr. Paris.

http://www.fiveminute.net/voyager
donners22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2009, 07:38 PM   #10
Omega_Glory
Commodore

I saw it on IMAX the second time and thought it wasn't worth twice the admission price.
Omega_Glory is offline   Reply With Quote