A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old June 29 2009, 05:42 PM   #1
RobertScorpio
Pariah

the Romulan Way...

I found this great used book store in Poway (a suburb of San Diego). It had, by far, the biggest collection of STAR TREK books I have seen in quite sometime. It dwarfed the Star Wars section..

So I am looking at the various TREK books and found this one called THE ROMULAN WAY, which I bought and will start reading. Now, the strange thing is? I think I read this! For whatever reason, I just can't remember actually reading it..but I know I did.

But on the cover? I'm seeing some GALATICA vipers shooting at, I guess, Dr. McCoy. what's that all about???

Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2009, 05:44 PM   #2
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Re: the Romulan Way...

RobertScorpio wrote: View Post
Now, the strange thing is? I think I read this! For whatever reason, I just can't remember actually reading it..but I know I did.
In the Rihannsu omnibus?
Old June 29 2009, 05:46 PM   #3
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post
Now, the strange thing is? I think I read this! For whatever reason, I just can't remember actually reading it..but I know I did.
In the Rihannsu omnibus?
Ummmm...that just went over my head. Drawing blank here. But, if it came from the book, give me a week or so (yeah, I know, but finding time to read is hard to do) and I'll get back with you. I like Diane Duane and she co-wrote it...I think its a book that takes place between TMP and KHAN..though I am not sure...

Rob
Old June 29 2009, 05:52 PM   #4
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

In the Rihannsu omnibus?
Ummmm...that just went over my head. Drawing blank here. But, if it came from the book, give me a week or so (yeah, I know, but finding time to read is hard to do) and I'll get back with you. I like Diane Duane and she co-wrote it...I think its a book that takes place between TMP and KHAN..though I am not sure...

Rob
"The Romulan Way" is Rihannsu book two, and the omnibus was released a few years back.
Old June 30 2009, 12:21 AM   #5
Rosalind
TrekLit's Dr Rose Mod

"The Romulan Way" is Rihannsu book two, and the omnibus was released a few years back.
Rihannsu: The Bloodwing Voyages is the full name of the omnibus. Here's the Amazon page for it: link
Rosalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2009, 12:52 AM   #6
Plecostomus
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Plecostomus

One of the better Old Old Trek Novels that I've read. Interesting speculation on the split.
Plecostomus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2009, 12:57 AM   #7
Timo
Admiral

Well, some of the Vulcan/Romulan history and prehistory is also told in Spock's World, in nearly the same words. Any chance you could be remembering things from that book?

But on the cover? I'm seeing some GALATICA vipers shooting at, I guess, Dr. McCoy. what's that all about???
Completely unrelated to the story content, but looks pretty neat.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2009, 02:41 PM   #8
seigezunt
Vice Admiral

Location: Splashing on some Tiberius before a night on the town

I love this book, but I'm always confused about when it takes place. Especially because as I recall, it was re-edited for the omnibus to place it during the first 5 Year Mission. But many fan timelines I see place it later...
I am constantly surprised by the close-mindedness of some fans...this means change as well as a positive attitude. Without those things, how can we ever achieve that Trek future we enjoyed so much on TV? --Bjo Trimble
seigezunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2009, 02:48 PM   #9
Christopher
Writer

seigezunt wrote: View Post
I love this book, but I'm always confused about when it takes place. Especially because as I recall, it was re-edited for the omnibus to place it during the first 5 Year Mission. But many fan timelines I see place it later...
When Duane wrote her first three novels, the timeline hadn't been as well pinned down, and she seemed to be working from the assumption that there was a second 5-year mission between TOS and TMP (despite TMP's multiple references to Kirk's "five years out there"). So it was several years after TOS, some characters had been promoted, and the ship had been refitted closer to its TMP design, but it was still before TMP. In Spock's World, which came after TRW, there was a passing reference placing the book shortly after TMP.

Then, when Swordhunt/Honor Blade was written significantly later, it was written with the assumption that it took place during the original 5YM, before TMP, even though it was unambiguously after Spock's World.

Then, when the Bloodwing Voyages omnibus and The Empty Chair finally came out, the decision was reversed -- TEC was written to take place post-TMP, and the previous books in TBV had their text revised to make it clear that the whole Rihannsu series took place after TMP. Though that still leaves the inconsistent time references in The Wounded Sky and possibly Spock's World intact.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2009, 04:19 PM   #10
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Christopher wrote: View Post
seigezunt wrote: View Post
When Duane wrote her first three novels, the timeline hadn't been as well pinned down, and she seemed to be working from the assumption that there was a second 5-year mission between TOS and TMP (despite TMP's multiple references to Kirk's "five years out there"). So it was several years after TOS, some characters had been promoted, and the ship had been refitted closer to its TMP design, but it was still before TMP. In Spock's World, which came after TRW, there was a passing reference placing the book shortly after TMP.

Then, when Swordhunt/Honor Blade was written significantly later, it was written with the assumption that it took place during the original 5YM, before TMP, even though it was unambiguously after Spock's World.

Then, when the Bloodwing Voyages omnibus and The Empty Chair finally came out, the decision was reversed -- TEC was written to take place post-TMP, and the previous books in TBV had their text revised to make it clear that the whole Rihannsu series took place after TMP. Though that still leaves the inconsistent time references in The Wounded Sky and possibly Spock's World intact.
Huh..interesting info there Chris. I read all those books back then..back when I had a memory! You are saying that later copies were altered to reflect these changes? I may actually try to re-read some of those books just for the heck of it..I have the Romulan Way, and I saw some of those other books at that book store..

Chris..what are you working on now??? And Greg, if you read this, what are you working on???

Rob
Old June 30 2009, 05:48 PM   #11
Christopher
Writer

Huh..interesting info there Chris. I read all those books back then..back when I had a memory! You are saying that later copies were altered to reflect these changes?
Not later copies of the individual books, but the new editions of those books published in the Bloodwing Voyages trade-paperback omnibus.

Chris..what are you working on now???
That question will be answered at Shore Leave a week from Friday. Until then, I can't say.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2009, 05:50 PM   #12
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Christopher wrote: View Post
Huh..interesting info there Chris. I read all those books back then..back when I had a memory! You are saying that later copies were altered to reflect these changes?
Not later copies of the individual books, but the new editions of those books published in the Bloodwing Voyages trade-paperback omnibus.

Chris..what are you working on now???
That question will be answered at Shore Leave a week from Friday. Until then, I can't say.
Cool. Im sure it will be great...

I have no idea what "Bloodwing Voyages" means. Are these reissued books? Comic Books? What do I look for when looking for this???

Rob
Old June 30 2009, 06:27 PM   #13
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

Bloodwing Voyages is an omnibus edition of the Rihannsu series, with slightly edited reprints of My Enemy, my Ally, The Romulan Way, Swordhunt and Honor Blade.
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2009, 06:29 PM   #14
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Defcon wrote: View Post
Bloodwing Voyages is an omnibus edition of the Rihannsu series, with slightly edited reprints of My Enemy, my Ally, The Romulan Way, Swordhunt and Honor Blade.
So when you mean omnibus you mean a big book with all of them in it? Did this come out recently or will it take some hunting on my part...

Rob
Old June 30 2009, 06:30 PM   #15
Plecostomus
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Plecostomus

Defcon wrote: View Post
So when you mean omnibus you mean a big book with all of them in it? Did this come out recently or will it take some hunting on my part...

Rob
I have a copy sans jacket that I will send you. PM me your address.
Plecostomus is offline   Reply With Quote