RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,314
Posts: 5,352,316
Members: 24,620
Currently online: 652
Newest member: MAC5494

TrekToday headlines

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

True Trek History To Be Penned
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 16 2009, 03:30 PM   #16
nx1701g
Admiral
 
nx1701g's Avatar
 
Location: Aboard the Executor...
Re: Superman Returns: Did Richard Know?

I seem to recall from the novelization - I know that it doesn't really count though - that Richard knew Jason wasn't his all along.
__________________
Not Dead Yet.
nx1701g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2009, 03:52 PM   #17
The Comedian
Captain
 
The Comedian's Avatar
 
Re: Superman Returns: Did Richard Know?

hyzmarca wrote: View Post
Superman II. At the end, Clark erases Lois's memory of their relationship and his identity.
With anyone else that would almost be date rape.
The Comedian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2009, 06:36 PM   #18
Aragorn
Admiral
 
Aragorn's Avatar
 
Re: Superman Returns: Did Richard Know?

sojourner wrote: View Post
Wasn't there some kind of remark in the movie about keeping Jason out of sunlight?
No sunlight, no water, and don't feed him after midnight.

sojourner wrote: View Post
Also, Jason had to use an inhaler. You might almost get the impression that Lois was going a little "Munchhausen by proxy" on him.
The movie established that Clark was always getting sick as a kid and was nearsighted until one day it all just stopped.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2009, 06:57 PM   #19
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral
 
Captaindemotion's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: Superman Returns: Did Richard Know?

My impression was that Richard knew that Jason wasn't his son but didn't know or care who the real father was. But that's only an impression - I don't think there's anything concrete to point to, one way or the other.
__________________
Hodor!!!!!!!
Captaindemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2009, 07:43 PM   #20
Broccoli
Vice Admiral
 
Broccoli's Avatar
 
Location: Broccoli
Re: Superman Returns: Did Richard Know?

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
My impression was that Richard knew that Jason wasn't his son but didn't know or care who the real father was. But that's only an impression - I don't think there's anything concrete to point to, one way or the other.
True, but my question is if Richard knew, was he aware that Jason was Superman's son and is there enough evidence in the movie to support this theory?
__________________
"That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -- Christopher Hitchens
Broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2009, 08:58 PM   #21
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral
 
Captaindemotion's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: Superman Returns: Did Richard Know?

^ I would say no. He never seemed defensive or possessive enough when Superman was around and he never made any snide remarks about Superman to Lois.

Let's face it, much as I like that movie, it wasn't really all that subtle (eg all the Christ imagery) being laid on with a trowel. I think that if it had been intended that we know Richard knows, there would have been a conversation or dialogue to that effect. Possibly after Lois whispered in Supes' ear in the hospital - she goes out to Richard who says 'Did you tell him?' 'Yes', says Lois. Cut to Richard looking worried but nodding acceptingly. Something like that.
__________________
Hodor!!!!!!!
Captaindemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2009, 05:55 AM   #22
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral
 
JacksonArcher's Avatar
 
Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher
Re: Superman Returns: Did Richard Know?

I thought its subtle nuances is what made it so great in my opinion. The way Clark would steal a glance at Lois when she wasn't looking. Moments between Superman and Lois like on the rooftop where you can tell the two have a history just by their reactions, or lack thereof. Or my favorite, when Lois is on the plane and looks out the window just moments before Superman whizzes by, as if knowing he would appear. The movie is full of little terrific subtle moments like that.
__________________
"Please... We need you to hope again... " - Professor Charles Xavier, X-Men: Days of Future Past
JacksonArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2009, 03:20 PM   #23
Broccoli
Vice Admiral
 
Broccoli's Avatar
 
Location: Broccoli
Re: Superman Returns: Did Richard Know?

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
^ I would say no. He never seemed defensive or possessive enough when Superman was around and he never made any snide remarks about Superman to Lois.
Why would he? Richard is a good guy; not a jack ass. Clearly, he is secure in his relationship with Lois where he doesn't need to make snide comments. He does show some uncomfortableness when talking about Superman (particularly during the "did you love him?" scene). But I think that would be somewhat expected when talking about his partner's old love.

I think that if it had been intended that we know Richard knows, there would have been a conversation or dialogue to that effect. Possibly after Lois whispered in Supes' ear in the hospital - she goes out to Richard who says 'Did you tell him?' 'Yes', says Lois. Cut to Richard looking worried but nodding acceptingly. Something like that.
Yes, but if that happened, we wouldn't be having this conversation...
__________________
"That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -- Christopher Hitchens
Broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2009, 04:39 PM   #24
Cmndr J Crichton
Commodore
 
Cmndr J Crichton's Avatar
 
Location: Moya
Re: Superman Returns: Did Richard Know?

I know this sounds very wierd, but here I go. I always thought that If Singer was able to make a sequel, Zod would've inhabited Richard. Think about it. Supes having to struggle between fighting Jason's adopted father, or ridding the galaxy of Zod by killng Richard. And what about Jason? Set this movie a few years ahead, his powers begin to emerge. Would he stand by and watch Superman beat his step-dad up? He obviously wouldn't know it was Zod, so a huge mis-understading takes place, and an epic battle between father and son ensues. Zod manipulates the whole thing, and begins to take over the world. Of course, Jason, and Superman reconsile, and go after Zod together evetually. I know they wanted to use Zod in the sequel somehow. This would b a good way to do so without using Stamp's Zod again. It would've also been neat to see what James Marsden could bring to Supes' ultimate villain.
__________________
A Digital Frontier to shape the human condition...not just a book plug.
Cmndr J Crichton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2009, 07:39 PM   #25
dragunzng
Rear Admiral
 
dragunzng's Avatar
 
Location: Ortigas, Philippines
View dragunzng's Twitter Profile
Re: Superman Returns: Did Richard Know?

Pretty sure Richard knew Jason wasn't his, but I don't think he knew Jason was Superman's kid.
__________________
I'm making a comic called Outcasts of Jupiter - Check it out!
dragunzng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2009, 03:22 AM   #26
Broccoli
Vice Admiral
 
Broccoli's Avatar
 
Location: Broccoli
Re: Superman Returns: Did Richard Know?

Cmndr J Crichton wrote: View Post
I know this sounds very wierd, but here I go. I always thought that If Singer was able to make a sequel, Zod would've inhabited Richard. Think about it. Supes having to struggle between fighting Jason's adopted father, or ridding the galaxy of Zod by killng Richard. And what about Jason? Set this movie a few years ahead, his powers begin to emerge. Would he stand by and watch Superman beat his step-dad up? He obviously wouldn't know it was Zod, so a huge mis-understading takes place, and an epic battle between father and son ensues. Zod manipulates the whole thing, and begins to take over the world. Of course, Jason, and Superman reconsile, and go after Zod together evetually. I know they wanted to use Zod in the sequel somehow. This would b a good way to do so without using Stamp's Zod again. It would've also been neat to see what James Marsden could bring to Supes' ultimate villain.
I don't know how I would have liked that, personally. Setting aside the use of Zod (again), I like the idea that Richard is just a regular guy. Added to that that he is what Clark Kent would be if Clark wasn't Superman. I would rather keep him as is.
__________________
"That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -- Christopher Hitchens
Broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2009, 03:51 AM   #27
xman
Commander
 
xman's Avatar
 
Location: Lotus Land, eh
Re: Superman Returns: Did Richard Know?

Rule #1
If it ain't on the page, it ain't on the stage.

Richard then would have no knowledge of who Jason's father is, especially if he has to ask if Lois ever loved Superman. Admittedly this is thrown into shadow by the fact that Lois lies. She lies to Richard and tells him that she never loved Superman. She also lies to Lex and tells him that Richard is the boy's father, but we all know that's not true. We know it from the get go, we don't even need to be told. So there is some wriggle room, but I'd say not much or else you're living in your own speculative imagination and not in the script.

My inclination was that nobody knew who Jason's real father was until he saves his mother with a piano. Richard is his own kind of hero and he acts toward Lois' love for Superman in the only way that a man who truly loves a woman can, by delivering her to her heart's desire. He may feel secure in the knowledge that Superman is an unrealistic guy to consider having a relationship with, but I doubt even that much and it doesn't matter.

For the record, I was raised by a man who is not my biological father, but I always called him 'Dad' even after I met my father as an adult. My biodad I call by his first name. Neither man seems to begrudge the other his history or status in my life.
__________________
He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot. ~ Douglas Adams
xman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2009, 04:20 AM   #28
Broccoli
Vice Admiral
 
Broccoli's Avatar
 
Location: Broccoli
Re: Superman Returns: Did Richard Know?

xman wrote: View Post
Rule #1
If it ain't on the page, it ain't on the stage.

Richard then would have no knowledge of who Jason's father is, especially if he has to ask if Lois ever loved Superman. Admittedly this is thrown into shadow by the fact that Lois lies. She lies to Richard and tells him that she never loved Superman. She also lies to Lex and tells him that Richard is the boy's father, but we all know that's not true. We know it from the get go, we don't even need to be told. So there is some wriggle room, but I'd say not much or else you're living in your own speculative imagination and not in the script.
True. This is all speculation. Being the OP, I have never suggested otherwise.

However, that does not mean that it is not worth talking about. When analyzing a piece of literature, music, art, or film, you have to delve into speculation in order to come to some meaning over the movie.

Many people see different things in a movie depending on how they interpret different scenes. Many movies are left intentionally ambiguous in order to provoke thought with the audience.

To suggest that this discussion is not worthwhile (which may not be your intention, yet that is how I am interpreting it) suggests that it is not worthwhile to explore possibilities in stories altogether (which, ironically, was why, in part, this BBS was founded in the first place).

My inclination was that nobody knew who Jason's real father was until he saves his mother with a piano. Richard is his own kind of hero and he acts toward Lois' love for Superman in the only way that a man who truly loves a woman can, by delivering her to her heart's desire. He may feel secure in the knowledge that Superman is an unrealistic guy to consider having a relationship with, but I doubt even that much and it doesn't matter.
And this is your speculative imagination. There is nothing in the script that outright says any of that. However, it is worth discussing if we choose to gain a deeper level of understanding/enjoyment/whatever you want to call it of the film.

For the record, I was raised by a man who is not my biological father, but I always called him 'Dad' even after I met my father as an adult. My biodad I call by his first name. Neither man seems to begrudge the other his history or status in my life.
Which is how I would expect the relationship to be between Jason, Richard, and Superman post-SR. At least, I would hope it to be.
__________________
"That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -- Christopher Hitchens
Broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2009, 05:41 AM   #29
xman
Commander
 
xman's Avatar
 
Location: Lotus Land, eh
Re: Superman Returns: Did Richard Know?

I'm not trying to poop on anyone's imagination and I apologise if I've come off that way. I can be a bit blunt at times. I'm just trying to define the mine field between what is explicit in the script and implicit within its context. If we go too far into the 'ifs' we can lose the facts.

I think the most important point in my post was overlooked because of my tone and that is that Richard asks Lois if she ever loved him. This means he doesn't know that Supe is Jason's father. Maybe he knows she's lying to him and begins to suspect or believe, but without any scriptual justification I wouldn't hold out much hope. Even if he does see through her lie he may still not suspect Jason's true heritage.

Maybe we'll learn more in the next movie.
__________________
He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot. ~ Douglas Adams
xman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2009, 07:25 AM   #30
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral
 
Admiral_Young's Avatar
 
Location: Gallifrey
View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Superman Returns: Did Richard Know?

I'm inclined to state that Richard didn't know until at least the end of the movie...I say this because remember when Clark spies on them in their house we hear their conversation where Richard asks Lois about Superman. Lois becomes flustered and explains the article title meant nothing and that his Uncle Perry came up with it. It's clear that Richard is a little intimidated by Superman's return and that Lois hasn't revealed the extent of her true feelings for him. Lois would not have remembered her time with Superman in the Fortress, at leas not right away so there wasn't anything to tell Richard when Jason was born.

Much like Clark I like to think that Jason's powers developed over the five years...and then suddenly he gets a burst of Super strength (maybe like when Clark lifts the truck over Jonathon's head in Superman The Movie, I like to think this is the first demonstration of Clark's powers). Richard probably strongly suspects that Lois and Superman had some kind of relationship before he came along near the end of the movie.
__________________
Admiral Young
Chief of Operations

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
jason lane, lois lane, richard white, superman, superman returns

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.