Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old June 16 2009, 08:36 PM   #1
All Seeing Eye
Admiral

Hydrogen Cars Are Finally Here!!!!!!!!!! In The UK At Least.

The manufacturer of a hydrogen car unveiled in London on Tuesday will make its designs available online so the cars can be built and improved locally.
The Riversimple car can go 80km/hr (50mph) and travels 322km (200mi) per re-fuelling, with an efficiency equivalent to 300 miles to the gallon.
The cars will be leased with fuel and repair costs included, at an estimated £200 ($315) per month.
The company hopes to have the vehicles in production by 2013.
Next year, it aims to release 10 prototypes in a UK city which yas yet to be confirmed.
Riversimple has partnered with gas supply company BOC to install hydrogen stations for the cars in the city where the prototypes are launched.
More info can be found here: LINK

This is just awesome stuff! I want one! and we're only 1 single year away from deployment.
All Seeing Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2009, 09:07 PM   #2
All Seeing Eye
Admiral

Re: Hydrogen Cars Are Finally Here!!!!!!!!!! In The UK At Least.

The greatest stepping stone from polluting cars to hydrogen and nobody is bothered.
This is not just an unveiling and never again seen hydrogen car, this car in the next 3 years will be out on the road! by 2013 Hydrogen filling stations will be in cities across the UK!
Old June 16 2009, 09:13 PM   #3
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

I wished they'd make the hydrogen car more of a possibility here.

I think the only hydrogen station is in L.A.

If they'd make more stations available, it would do wonders for both the environment and the economy.
Old June 16 2009, 09:17 PM   #4
JonathonWally
Admiral

View JonathonWally's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to JonathonWally Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JonathonWally

Riversimple's solution is to power the car also from so-called "ultracapacitors", which store large amounts of electric charge and, crucially, can release that charge nearly instantly to provide the power needed to accelerate from rest.
Can't wait to see the death toll from that.
Are you hearin me, like I'm hearin you?
JonathonWally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2009, 09:32 PM   #5
Mallory

Tachyon Shield wrote: View Post
The greatest stepping stone from polluting cars to hydrogen and nobody is bothered.
This is not just an unveiling and never again seen hydrogen car, this car in the next 3 years will be out on the road! by 2013 Hydrogen filling stations will be in cities across the UK!
Must be nice to live in such a small country that a 322km range will be sufficient.
Old June 16 2009, 09:40 PM   #6
All Seeing Eye
Admiral

Mallory wrote: View Post
Must be nice to live in such a small country that a 322km range will be sufficient.
The UK is 874 miles (1,407km) tip to tip. 322km aint sufficient for everyone, certainly not sufficient for me to reach london or the south coast, or wales or northern Scotland. If I want to go away for the day to the coast if I want to go anywhere other than Blackpool I wont have enough fuel. But the car is still fantastic for driving into town and back.
Old June 16 2009, 09:43 PM   #7
Canadave
Vice Admiral

View Canadave's Twitter Profile

JonathonWally wrote: View Post
Riversimple's solution is to power the car also from so-called "ultracapacitors", which store large amounts of electric charge and, crucially, can release that charge nearly instantly to provide the power needed to accelerate from rest.
Can't wait to see the death toll from that.
Er, this could basically be a description of an internal combustion engine, you know. Just with different terminology.
Old June 17 2009, 01:10 AM   #8
nevermore
Admiral

I'm more interested to see the death toll from a car that can only barely make 50 MPH. Jesus christ, you'd be eaten alive.
Old June 17 2009, 01:16 AM   #9
Plecostomus
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Plecostomus

flamingliberal wrote: View Post
I'm more interested to see the death toll from a car that can only barely make 50 MPH. Jesus christ, you'd be eaten alive.
Yeah because for the love of little apples if you drive less 60mph at all times especially when conditions deem otherwise... you are NOT A MAN because your penis atrophied and fallen off due to the lack of raw horsepower, torque and sheer mind blowing SPEED.
Plecostomus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2009, 01:18 AM   #10
nevermore
Admiral

Plecostomus wrote: View Post
Yeah because for the love of little apples if you drive less 60mph at all times especially when conditions deem otherwise... you are NOT A MAN because your penis atrophied and fallen off due to the lack of raw horsepower, torque and sheer mind blowing SPEED.
No, because significant differences in speed from the rest of traffic causes accidents from people having to get around them and slamming on the brakes. A car going 50 in a 70 zone might as well be parked.
Old June 17 2009, 01:23 AM   #11
JonathonWally
Admiral

View JonathonWally's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to JonathonWally Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JonathonWally

Plecostomus wrote: View Post
Where was the reference to manliness and penis size made?

Driving on a major highway such as I95, 80, 78, doing only 50mph when the rest of the mostly truck traffic is cruising between 75-80mph is dangerous.
Are you hearin me, like I'm hearin you?
JonathonWally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2009, 02:17 AM   #12
Mutai Sho-Rin

The hydrogen powered car is a total sham. By the time the H2 is delivered to the car, it retains only 8% of the energy, namely electricity, used to extract it from the air. With the separation, compression, refrigeration, transportation and storage losses and costs, it isn't practical until it can be made directly in the petrol station with next to no cost electricity. The fact that George W. Bush was fooled by the scam should be proof enough.