RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,792
Posts: 5,325,475
Members: 24,548
Currently online: 575
Newest member: wrestlefreak36

TrekToday headlines

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 13 2009, 06:58 PM   #1
sidious618
Admiral
 
sidious618's Avatar
 
Location: New York, US
Send a message via AIM to sidious618
This is sad

Just ten minutes ago I glanced at the clock and it said 1:47. At every '8 my weather channel gives us our local forecast. I immediately stood up and said, "Ah, the local forecast is on," and ran into the living room to turn the TV on. Then it occurred to me that I really shouldn't be getting so excited about this sort of thing.

WHERE DID I GO WRONG?!?!!?!?

So, who else has things that you get excited over that you really, really shouldn't (not an invitation for something sexual unless it's really interesting)?
__________________
We've met before, haven't we?
sidious618 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2009, 07:02 PM   #2
An Officer
Vice Admiral
 
An Officer's Avatar
 
Location: Reality & Other Falsehoods
Re: This is sad

I get excited about listening to Vanessa on BBC London in the morning. It's my dirty little secret.
__________________
"Out there.... thataway."
An Officer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2009, 07:04 PM   #3
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion
 
RJDiogenes's Avatar
 
Location: RJDiogenes of Boston
Re: This is sad

My mother watches the Weather Channel. For entertainment. I don't get it.
__________________
Please stop by my Gallery and YouTube Page for a visit. And read Trunkards!
RJDiogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2009, 07:05 PM   #4
Middle Earther
Commodore
 
Middle Earther's Avatar
 
Location: BC, Canada
View Middle Earther's Twitter Profile
Re: This is sad

My daughters, ages 7 and 9, gave me a Webkinz for my birthday. I like doing the gardening with my online pet...
__________________
A learning experience is one of those things that says, 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.' Douglas Adams
Middle Earther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2009, 07:06 PM   #5
sidious618
Admiral
 
sidious618's Avatar
 
Location: New York, US
Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: This is sad

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
My mother watches the Weather Channel. For entertainment. I don't get it.
My mom did that when I was a kid. It was so weird.
__________________
We've met before, haven't we?
sidious618 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2009, 07:17 PM   #6
Zion Ravescene
is doing this now
 
Zion Ravescene's Avatar
 
Re: This is sad

The old early morning CEEFAX broadcasts were things I looked forward to - especially the music played during them.
__________________
"Everybody has a secret world inside of them..."
-- Neil Gaiman
"In Germany, fear comes before sex... and if you're lucky, then a little bit later, an elf."
-- Victoria Coren Mitchell
Zion Ravescene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2009, 07:25 PM   #7
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!
 
Holdfast's Avatar
 
Location: 17 Cherry Tree Lane
Re: This is sad

sidious618 wrote: View Post
Just ten minutes ago I glanced at the clock and it said 1:47. At every '8 my weather channel gives us our local forecast. I immediately stood up and said, "Ah, the local forecast is on," and ran into the living room to turn the TV on. Then it occurred to me that I really shouldn't be getting so excited about this sort of thing.

WHERE DID I GO WRONG?!?!!?!?
You missed the traffic update a minute earlier.
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2009, 07:27 PM   #8
K'Ehleyr
Commodore
 
K'Ehleyr's Avatar
 
Location: In a world which very few others see
Re: This is sad

My SO likes to watch the week's weather 11.50am Sunday morning, it's a ritual and usually wrong.

It's not sad to string together a bunch of origami birds and hang them by the window so they shine and twizzle is it?
__________________
Oh for goodness sake it's not that important.
Unless it is really important ~ then you can always email it to me and I'll ignore it again tomorrow.
K'Ehleyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2009, 07:27 PM   #9
sidious618
Admiral
 
sidious618's Avatar
 
Location: New York, US
Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: This is sad

Holdfast wrote: View Post
sidious618 wrote: View Post
Just ten minutes ago I glanced at the clock and it said 1:47. At every '8 my weather channel gives us our local forecast. I immediately stood up and said, "Ah, the local forecast is on," and ran into the living room to turn the TV on. Then it occurred to me that I really shouldn't be getting so excited about this sort of thing.

WHERE DID I GO WRONG?!?!!?!?
You missed the traffic update a minute earlier.
No, that's on the metro traffic and weather channel.

Wait, this isn't helping my case.
__________________
We've met before, haven't we?
sidious618 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2009, 07:28 PM   #10
Zion Ravescene
is doing this now
 
Zion Ravescene's Avatar
 
Re: This is sad

K'ehleyr wrote: View Post
My SO likes to watch the week's weather 11.50am Sunday morning, it's a ritual and usually wrong.
Plus at that time on a Sunday there's an 80% chance of Laura Tobin spreading across TV screens across the country.
__________________
"Everybody has a secret world inside of them..."
-- Neil Gaiman
"In Germany, fear comes before sex... and if you're lucky, then a little bit later, an elf."
-- Victoria Coren Mitchell
Zion Ravescene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2009, 07:39 PM   #11
Arrqh
Vice Admiral
 
View Arrqh's Twitter Profile
Re: This is sad

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
My mother watches the Weather Channel. For entertainment. I don't get it.
Back when I was in college, I worked in one of the campus computer labs for a while. And there was this guy I heard a lot of stories about, though I only saw him once, who would come in and spend hours taking screencaps from old VHS tapes of 10 year old Weather Channel recordings.

AFAIK, no one ever asked him why he was doing that. I think we were all too afraid of the answer
__________________
Don't you know? The chances of a random object being a scone are about one in six.
Arrqh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2009, 07:44 PM   #12
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!
 
Holdfast's Avatar
 
Location: 17 Cherry Tree Lane
Re: This is sad

sidious618 wrote: View Post
Holdfast wrote: View Post
sidious618 wrote: View Post
Just ten minutes ago I glanced at the clock and it said 1:47. At every '8 my weather channel gives us our local forecast. I immediately stood up and said, "Ah, the local forecast is on," and ran into the living room to turn the TV on. Then it occurred to me that I really shouldn't be getting so excited about this sort of thing.

WHERE DID I GO WRONG?!?!!?!?
You missed the traffic update a minute earlier.
No, that's on the metro traffic and weather channel.

Wait, this isn't helping my case.
I tell you what isn't helping your case. This thread has what, almost a dozen posts now, and you STILL haven't told us if it's because the weathergirl is hot.

Sir, I sincerely doubt the veracity of your tall tale.



Zion Ravescene wrote: View Post
Plus at that time on a Sunday there's an 80% chance of Laura Tobin spreading across TV screens across the country.
It's always a nice day when Laura Tobin is doing the weather....
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2009, 07:48 PM   #13
sidious618
Admiral
 
sidious618's Avatar
 
Location: New York, US
Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: This is sad

The local forecast on my weather channel is all words, maps and voiceover. There's only a voice and I think it's computerized. The whole thing is very surreal.
__________________
We've met before, haven't we?
sidious618 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2009, 07:51 PM   #14
Zion Ravescene
is doing this now
 
Zion Ravescene's Avatar
 
Re: This is sad

Holdfast wrote: View Post
Zion Ravescene wrote: View Post
Plus at that time on a Sunday there's an 80% chance of Laura Tobin spreading across TV screens across the country.
It's always a nice day when Laura Tobin is doing the weather....
Strangely, I always seem to lose concentration on the actual weather forecast whenever she's telling it - my eyes get distracted for some reason.

I find the best solution is to videotape her forecasts and review the salient points later. Much later.
__________________
"Everybody has a secret world inside of them..."
-- Neil Gaiman
"In Germany, fear comes before sex... and if you're lucky, then a little bit later, an elf."
-- Victoria Coren Mitchell
Zion Ravescene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2009, 07:55 PM   #15
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion
 
RJDiogenes's Avatar
 
Location: RJDiogenes of Boston
Re: This is sad

Arrghman wrote: View Post
AFAIK, no one ever asked him why he was doing that. I think we were all too afraid of the answer
Data for a long-term study maybe? Although the study was probably about some government weather control conspiracy.

Holdfast wrote: View Post
It's always a nice day when Laura Tobin is doing the weather....
I like Jacqui Jeras on CNN.
__________________
Please stop by my Gallery and YouTube Page for a visit. And read Trunkards!
RJDiogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.