Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old June 16 2009, 04:01 PM   #31
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Re: Borg vs kenetic weapons

Pindar wrote: View Post
Trek changes how it's tech works from episode to episode making it impossible to work out why things are the way they are.
This line pretty much answers every Tech-related quested on Trek ever. When was the last time we ever saw the deflector dish deflect anything?
Old June 16 2009, 04:40 PM   #32
Anticitizen
Fleet Captain

Hey, it deflects pesky story complications all the time!
Anticitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2009, 04:52 PM   #33
Zameaze
Commodore

Maybe an energy field that stops bullets and swords is not out of the question. The University of Washington, Seattle, has not been sleepless: They are working on a charged plasma bubble that would protect a spacecraft against interstellar radiation and some particles. Rutherford Appleton Laboratory is working along the same lines.
Zameaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2009, 04:55 PM   #34
USS KG5
Vice Admiral

Peter the Younger wrote: View Post
USS KG5 wrote: View Post
Timo wrote: View Post
At least, that's how the requirements of drama would go. It would be too big a plot complication, not to mention too much of a tech contradiction, if the Borg could somehow block a swinging fist.
Well the requirements of drama will make the Borg as tough or vulnerable as they need to be to serve the story that week, which is why they appear weaker on Voyager, as the little Fed ship has to get away every week.
Ain't that the sad truth.
Well not really sad, it is just a TV show after all, and when keeping consistency for the 0.1% of viewers who will notice starts outweighing storytelling you get real problems.

After all, the crew are supposed to be our "heroes" and therefore in the art of storytelling are capable of extraordinary things.

The great thing is that in the greater scheme of things "real life" stories with a minimum of alteration are just as amazing, look at Band Of Brothers to see a good example.
Old June 16 2009, 05:20 PM   #35
Da'an
Commander

How about filling a water pistol with warp plasma coolant?
Da'an is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2009, 05:19 AM   #36
gimpy117
Commander

Dream wrote: View Post
I'd imagine all the races worthy of assimilation only use phasers. The ocassional attacker with a gun or sword would be rare.
alright master chief lets get em'!!
gimpy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2009, 03:36 AM   #37
James Wright
Commodore

Wasn't the cube Janeway was on attacked by a single bioship? Seems to me, (if my memory ain't failing) that the bioship was knocking some pretty good size holes in the cube, until said cube rammed the bioship!
On the topic of Borg shields and guns, if the Borg came across a species that used projectile weapons in their rampage across the galaxy before TNG, they'd eventually adapt, since Picard took out two drones with a tommy gun, the Borg hadn't run into anything like it before, either that or Picard got real lucky!

James
Old June 18 2009, 08:18 PM   #38
Omega_Glory
Commodore

About the bullets. A lot of folks assume they were minature forcefields but I doubt that. In the first TNG episode they describe the holodeck as using transporters, matter, and forcefields to create the many items in a simulation. There's absolutely no reason to believe that those bullets in FC weren't acutally metallic projectiles replicated by the computer. The holodeck uses raw material to replicate items.
Omega_Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2009, 09:37 PM   #39
Zameaze
Commodore

James Wright wrote: View Post
On the topic of Borg shields and guns, if the Borg came across a species that used projectile weapons in their rampage across the galaxy before TNG, they'd eventually adapt, since Picard took out two drones with a tommy gun, the Borg hadn't run into anything like it before, either that or Picard got real lucky!

James
You could always get the Borg with the first couple of volleys of anything. Then they'd adapt. Though they had seen energy weapons before, the Borg were always vulnerable to the first few rounds.
Old June 18 2009, 10:13 PM   #40
Da'an
Commander

Omega_Glory wrote: View Post
About the bullets. A lot of folks assume they were minature forcefields but I doubt that. In the first TNG episode they describe the holodeck as using transporters, matter, and forcefields to create the many items in a simulation. There's absolutely no reason to believe that those bullets in FC weren't acutally metallic projectiles replicated by the computer. The holodeck uses raw material to replicate items.
That's the only way that whole scene would make sense, considering Borg shielding allows you to walk through forcefields as if they weren't even there.
Da'an is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2009, 10:19 PM   #41
Omega_Glory
Commodore

^^^Saying the Borg could adapt to anything is a bit of a stretch.

In boarding party actions, since the Borg have a tendency to allow people to transport onto their ships, an antimatter bomb detonated inside a cube should have a wonderful effect.
Omega_Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2009, 01:51 AM   #42
Zameaze
Commodore

Omega_Glory wrote: View Post
^^^Saying the Borg could adapt to anything is a bit of a stretch.

In boarding party actions, since the Borg have a tendency to allow people to transport onto their ships, an antimatter bomb detonated inside a cube should have a wonderful effect.
Phaser blast to my heart, I fall, I die. Of course you're right.

When I said, "You could always get the Borg with the first couple of volleys of anything. Then they'd adapt," what I was
trying to get at was that we can't tell anything by just two Borg getting killed by bullets.
Old June 20 2009, 12:44 AM   #43
caisson2delta
Captain

Perhaps the Borg sacrifice the first few drones in order to gauge the strength of their potential newest assimilatees. It is obvious that they have no concept of the individual, so sacrificing a few drones to test the waters doesn't seem that big of a deal to them. Also, it seems as if they do possess some sort of superior strength. Just about every hand to hand encounter we see, they go tossing someone aside or bitch slapping someone unconscious. The only one to really seem to fair well against them, physically, was Data.

AS to the bullet and sword thing, don't have a clue. I suppose if something was fired at them with enough kinetic energy, it would have some sort of effect even if the shields did stop it.
caisson2delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2009, 03:08 AM   #44
Zameaze
Commodore

caisson2delta wrote: View Post
Just about every hand to hand encounter we see, they go tossing someone aside or bitch slapping someone unconscious. The only one to really seem to fair well against them, physically, was Data.
Right, most of the time. But I think I remember that in "Regeneration," Archer just yanked a few wires loose on one of the Borg, and the drone fell to the deck emitting sparks.
Old June 26 2009, 05:47 PM   #45
Major Chord
Choir Boy Extraordinaire

caisson2delta wrote: View Post

AS to the bullet and sword thing, don't have a clue. I suppose if something was fired at them with enough kinetic energy, it would have some sort of effect even if the shields did stop it.
That's how I think of it. The borg shields have no problem stopping energy weapons, and I'd imagine that the shields absorb whatever kinetic energy the beams/pulses have, probably because there's little or no kinetic energy being exchanged. A bullet, on the other hand...I think that even if the shield did stop it, the kinetic energy from the bullet could easily damage the borg's internals. Kinda like how a "bullet proof" (bullet resistant, actually) vest stops the projectile, but unless the wearer is equipped with trauma plates underneath it, the force of the impact can still break bones. The borg could adapt, theoretically to projectiles, by increasing the the armor protection that the drones have, but since they don't face enemies with projectile weapons very often...why bother?