March-April 2015 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Mar 2

Shatner Shares Nimoy Memories
By: T'Bonz on Mar 2

Retro Review: When It Rains…
By: Michelle on Feb 27

Nimoy Dead At Eighty-Three
By: T'Bonz on Feb 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old June 29 2009, 04:50 PM   #1
Dingo
Captain

Deadliest Warrior, the Trek Version

I've seen this series on Spike TV a few times and really liked it. I wonder what a Trek version of this would be like so I figured I'd start a thread of a similar vein.

My first idea is thus. Hirogen Versus Jem'Hadar.

I'd say in the close range arena the Hirogen have the advantage with their body armor and their dirk.

In the mid-range I give the Jem'Hadar an advantage with the kar'takin pole (their bladed weapon in the DS9 To the Death).

In long range, the Hirogen with their disruptor rifles.

Special weapons I'll give the Jem'Hadar with their polaron beam that causes internal bleeding/hemmoraging even after the energy beam has struck the victim.

I'd still say that the deadliest warrior out of the two is the Hirogen. Any opinions.
Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2009, 03:06 AM   #2
caisson2delta
Captain

Re: Deadliest Warrior, the Trek Version

Love the show and think it is pretty cool. You bring up some good points, but didn't mention the Jem'Hadr personal cloaks. I think they would definitely use this to their advantage and would prefer hand to hand.

Definitely a tough one to decide. I would have to go with a draw on this one.
caisson2delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2009, 07:11 AM   #3
nx1701g
Admiral

Here's one of the most common ones suggested:

Borg Drone Vs. A Changeling.
Old June 30 2009, 04:40 PM   #4
Dingo
Captain

Love the show and think it is pretty cool. You bring up some good points, but didn't mention the Jem'Hadr personal cloaks. I think they would definitely use this to their advantage and would prefer hand to hand.

I would imagine that the Hirogen being a hunting species would mean their senses are sharp enough to counter the Jem'Hadar shrouding effect. Plus their dependence on Ketracel White weakens them as well.
Old June 30 2009, 04:58 PM   #5
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

Dingo wrote: View Post

I would imagine that the Hirogen being a hunting species would mean their senses are sharp enough to counter the Jem'Hadar shrouding effect. Plus their dependence on Ketracel White weakens them as well.
But the format of the show won't let the white addiction be significant. Its all about one shot one kill. Being soldiers and not hunters the Jem Hader are more likely to get hits in, even if the target suffers but the computer will show the Hirogen's hits kill. Final score Hirogen 501 to 499.
Old June 30 2009, 05:01 PM   #6
Dingo
Captain

But the format of the show won't let the white addiction be significant. Its all about one shot one kill. Being soldiers and not hunters the Jem Hader are more likely to get hits in, even if the target suffers but the computer will show the Hirogen's hits kill. Final score Hirogen 501 to 499.
I agree with you there, but I figured the Hirogen would have a more decisive advantage in that arena. Where did you get the link to the Deadliest Warrior computer program if you were able to calculate the 501/499 odds in favor of the Hirogen.

I figured while the Jem'Hadar might be able to get hits in, the Hirogen's superior armor would factor against the Jem'Hadar in close in battles. And at longer ranges I figured the Hirogen could dominate the field with their hunting distruptors.
Old June 30 2009, 05:05 PM   #7
SonOfMogh
Commander

nx1701g wrote: View Post

That is one dead Borg Drone
SonOfMogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2009, 05:10 PM   #8
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

SonOfMogh wrote: View Post
nx1701g wrote: View Post

That is one dead Borg Drone
A Borg drone will lose every engagement. The first drone sacrifices itself to determine the strength of the alien. The Star Trek Deadliest Warrior will have to play like the Mafia v. Yakuza, IRA v. Taliban and Spetnaz v. US Special Forces episodes and play squads against each other. I suspect one on one Odo should be able to take anything less then a Q.
Old June 30 2009, 05:13 PM   #9
Dingo
Captain

Here's another one I thought up:

Cardassian versus Klingon

Close Range: Klingon D'K'tagh. Klingons are just built for melee combat, thus in terms of close range weapons the D'K'tagh wins out over the Cardassian dagger.

Medium Range: Klingon Distruptor Pistol. Not an accurate weapon but at close ranges, why does it need to be. The Disruptor blast is quite powerful against almost any opponent.

Long Range: Cardassian Phase Disruptor Rifle. Here's where the Cardassians have the advantage, longer range weaponry. Their phaser rifles can really reach out and touch someone.

Special Weapons: Klingon Bat'leth. I'd give special weapons to the Klingons in squad or one-to-one battles seeing the Cardassians equivalent, the grenade (used in What You Leave Behind to flush out Damar, Garak, and Kira in the basement) didn't seem to have that effective a concussive effect in decisive battle.

Winner: I'd suspect that at close ranges, which Klingons are most apt to fight at, the Klingons would defeat the Cardassians rather decisively. Klingon squads would either beam in right onto the Cardassian positions or as close as they could possibly do so and then assault it in the name of Kahless! Qa'pla!

Last edited by Dingo; June 30 2009 at 05:24 PM.
Old June 30 2009, 05:23 PM   #10
Luckyflux
Fleet Captain

But the show doesn't really match up two similar warriors. Except the specialized ones such as the Mafia, Army Spec Forces, and Terrorists ones. All the others have been warriors from different times (Samurai vs Viking), using different technology (Knight vs Pirate, Steel vs Bone/Stone), and fighting in ways they never would (Ninjas wouldn't fight toe to toe,). I never liked that about the show, I would want to see a more even matchup, like Knight vs Samuria, Ninja vs Apache,

Other species to include would be Breen, Kazon, the gold/silver Cyborgs.

How about Kirk vs Gorn? That would be pretty good!

Or in the true spirit of the Deadliest Warrior, about about Jem Ha'Dar vs Cylon Centurion?
Old June 30 2009, 05:26 PM   #11
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

^
We have seen Kirk v. Gorn, Kirk won. The same with Klingon v. Cardassian
Old June 30 2009, 05:28 PM   #12
Dingo
Captain

How about Kazon versus Jem'Hadar in squad on squad battle?
Old June 30 2009, 05:51 PM   #13
Thor Damar
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Thor Damar

Dingo wrote: View Post
Here's another one I thought up:

Cardassian versus Klingon

Close Range: Klingon D'K'tagh. Klingons are just built for melee combat, thus in terms of close range weapons the D'K'tagh wins out over the Cardassian dagger.

Medium Range: Klingon Distruptor Pistol. Not an accurate weapon but at close ranges, why does it need to be. The Disruptor blast is quite powerful against almost any opponent.

Long Range: Cardassian Phase Disruptor Rifle. Here's where the Cardassians have the advantage, longer range weaponry. Their phaser rifles can really reach out and touch someone.

Special Weapons: Klingon Bat'leth. I'd give special weapons to the Klingons in squad or one-to-one battles seeing the Cardassians equivalent, the grenade (used in What You Leave Behind to flush out Damar, Garak, and Kira in the basement) didn't seem to have that effective a concussive effect in decisive battle.

Winner: I'd suspect that at close ranges, which Klingons are most apt to fight at, the Klingons would defeat the Cardassians rather decisively. Klingon squads would either beam in right onto the Cardassian positions or as close as they could possibly do so and then assault it in the name of Kahless! Qa'pla!

Yes but a Gul with any sense would use a transporter inhibitor to block the Klingons from beaming in and would disperse his soldiers so as to give them a clear range of fire.
The Cardassians also have some form of armor (at least judging from the Terok Nor trilogy) and we all know what tanks can do to a unprotected infantry...
At close range it might go to the Klingons but judging from Gul Dukat's performance in Way of the Warrior, a typical Cardassian soldier can give a good account of themselves.

And the Jem'hadar would murder the Kazon in about a minute, considering their superior weaponry and personal cloaks.

Thor Damar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2009, 05:58 PM   #14
Dingo
Captain

Yes but a Gul with any sense would use a transporter inhibitor to block the Klingons from beaming in and would disperse his soldiers so as to give them a clear range of fire.
The Cardassians also have some form of armor (at least judging from the Terok Nor trilogy) and we all know what tanks can do to a unprotected infantry...
At close range it might go to the Klingons but judging from Gul Dukat's performance in Way of the Warrior, a typical Cardassian soldier can give a good account of themselves.
True, but Klingons can be fairly sneaky as well. Cloaked ships that can't be detected until the last second and then beaming troops into the Cardassian positions, or attacking the inhibitors with Birds of Prey from orbit.

I will concede well led Cardassian soldiers with resourceful Guls/Glinns could give the Klingons a run for their money. So depending on the circumstances the fight could go either way. If the Cardassians keep the Klingons at a distance they have the decisive advantage. If the Klingons get close, however, it would likely be a bloodbath for the Cardassians.
Old June 30 2009, 10:35 PM   #15
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

I think the most interesting fights are of species with a variety of weapons who have never fought each other (Jem'Hadar vs. Hirogen is a good example).

A good baseline no matter what is a Klingon, since they have so many weapons. I'm not sure what opponent I'd suggest, probably something from the Delta Quadrant.