MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 5 2009, 01:59 PM   #1
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Save the Enterprise Brewery!

Am I the only one who thinks the new Enterprise engine room is great? For once we get a giant chamber that actually looks like engineering-related things go on in it (as opposed to the usual “people in pyjamas standing around pretending to push buttons in front of a big blue lava lamp”) and people complain!

For those saying it’s destroyed their precious “canon” think of this: What do you think is behind all those walls in Scotty’s old engine room (and the corridors off it)? Pipes, maybe? Could it be that without all the walls the other engine rooms might just have pipes everywhere? Remove the walls on the corridors on the levels above and you’re left with…catwalks over a giant chamber filled with pipes?
Honestly, if the “lack of visible power transfer conduits” (actual angry quote from a website) ruined the film for you, then…I don’t know.

I love the Enterprise Brewery, and hope to see more of it (and Keenser!) in Star Trek XII. I will be hugely disappointed if we get Scotty running in circles around a giant lava lamp in STXII. Anyone else?
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2009, 02:11 PM   #2
Jayson
Vice Admiral

Re: Save the Enterprise Brewery!

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
Am I the only one who thinks the new Enterprise engine room is great? For once we get a giant chamber that actually looks like engineering-related things go on in it (as opposed to the usual “people in pyjamas standing around pretending to push buttons in front of a big blue lava lamp”) and people complain!

For those saying it’s destroyed their precious “canon” think of this: What do you think is behind all those walls in Scotty’s old engine room (and the corridors off it)? Pipes, maybe? Could it be that without all the walls the other engine rooms might just have pipes everywhere? Remove the walls on the corridors on the levels above and you’re left with…catwalks over a giant chamber filled with pipes?
Honestly, if the “lack of visible power transfer conduits” (actual angry quote from a website) ruined the film for you, then…I don’t know.

I love the Enterprise Brewery, and hope to see more of it (and Keenser!) in Star Trek XII. I will be hugely disappointed if we get Scotty running in circles around a giant lava lamp in STXII. Anyone else?
I like the concept they went with, but not the design. Frankly it looked cheap to me. Also I sort of agree and disagree about the warp core. I would rather see a new type of warp core than to ditch the idea. Something like the engine in "Battlestar Galatica" would be nice. That or have a warp core that is so big that people can actually crawl around inside it.

Jason
Jayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2009, 02:12 PM   #3
Kpnuts
Commodore

Nope I love the engine room/brewery as well. Hope it sticks around for the sequel. No more lava lamps please
Kpnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2009, 02:15 PM   #4
clint g
Admiral

The brewery was passable. It worked for what it was supposed to be. It certainly isn't as great as some people make it out to be though and I wouldn't mind improvements
Old June 5 2009, 03:36 PM   #5
Carpe Occasio
Fleet Captain

Carpe Occasio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2009, 03:59 PM   #6
Lonemagpie
Writer

I prefer

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2009, 04:00 PM   #7
gastrof
Rear Admiral

Why is Leonard bartending with no neck?
Old June 5 2009, 04:08 PM   #8
Cakes488
Commodore

View Cakes488's Twitter Profile

clint g wrote: View Post
The brewery was passable. It worked for what it was supposed to be. It certainly isn't as great as some people make it out to be though and I wouldn't mind improvements
If I didn't know it was a brewery in advance I don't think I would of made the connection. This part of the movie/set design doesn't bother me in the least an IMO it's the best engineering has ever looked. I haven't seen all the Trek movies though....
Cakes488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2009, 04:12 PM   #9
Carpe Occasio
Fleet Captain

gastrof wrote: View Post
Why is Leonard bartending with no neck?
You know, someone else said the same thing in another thread I posted this picture on. Actually, his neck is there, it's just a perspective thing I guess. In the original photo you don't see any more of the guys neck.
Carpe Occasio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2009, 04:40 PM   #10
Meh
Cadet

I knew going in that Engineering was going to look "different" to say the least. Even so, I was shocked at how cheap it looked. Just a random industrial space with a few flat screens sprinkled in to remind you that that this was supposed to be a spaceship. Was there no budget for set design?

I don't care about all the canon nonsense. I just expected something... futuristic, you know?
Meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2009, 04:49 PM   #11
Alpha_Geek
Commodore

I think a compromise would be in order. When I was in the military and working in calibration, we certainly didn't keep the radiac stuff in the same room with the torque wrench stuff!

Where high energy stuff goes on, the clean room and "lava lamp" seems reasonable.

That being said, there has to be some plain old mechanical, chemical, and electrical processes involved in making a ship go and keeping her crew alive and healthy. Some of those processes and the engineering spaces they go on in could quite easily look more akin to 21st century industrial processes. Pipes is pipes, after all.
Alpha_Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2009, 04:51 PM   #12
Dac
Commodore

View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac

Personally, I liked the idea - but it needed far far more set dressing/CG extension to look anything LIKE the insides of a spaceship.
Dac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2009, 05:35 PM   #13
barnaclelapse
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
I prefer

Can't imagine why he'd sue them.
barnaclelapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2009, 05:43 PM   #14
jbrinegar
Lieutenant

I think Im in the minority, but I loved it too. Im also one of the few that loved the Kelvin engine room too with the guys rapelling down.
Old June 5 2009, 05:46 PM   #15
Islander
Commodore

I don't have a problem with the water pipes in the engine room, I just have an issue with a lack of engine in the engine room.