Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old December 19 2009, 02:58 AM   #316
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2009

Finally got around to seeing Veronica Guerin, and it was pretty much what I expected. Very much a standard Hollywood film hitting all the right notes (though well, it should be said) and with a particularly good performance from Cate Blanchett.

What bothered me most about this film was the music, which I guess most strongly colours it as an outsider film. Not that the music is bad, but that even with the orchestral arrangement, it's rather, er, Irish - which no doubt makes sense to foreign audiences, but to me this seems as apropos as playing traditional American styles over The Godfather.

Also, contra the movie, I have no idea where I was when I heard Veronica Guerin died, or remember the event at all (idle guess: I was probably playing Quake). I don't know, I remember where I was when I heard Princess Diana died, so I feel vaguely guilty about that now (read: not really). Hollywood's desire for a Big Meaningful Conclusion right down to Guerin's death 'turning the tide in the drug war' (you just know they wanted to have it End Drugs Forever or something) did also somewhat rankle, but not really as I knew about that twist when the film was released and hearing peole react to it.
Old December 19 2009, 03:18 AM   #317
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

od0_ital wrote: View Post
Watched the rated, theatrical version of The Hangover the other night. Pretty funny stuff, lookin' forward to watchin' the unrated version next.
http://movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=39126

Here is what is different. I've seen both versions and don't really prefer either one.
Old December 20 2009, 08:07 AM   #318
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

Bruno [D]
Where the Wild Things Are [C]
Old December 20 2009, 05:13 PM   #319
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Cross off one from the my list, as I saw The Princess and the Frog; I'd probably give it at least a B+, maybe A-.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2009, 11:50 PM   #320
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Updates!

Amarcord
- Okay I guess...maybe Fellini isn't for me...didn't find the story all that interesting and the narrator was actually kind of annoying.

Poltergeist - Well made movie but the standards of what is "scary" must have changed as much as the standards for good SFX because it doesn't really hold up in either regard.

*Every Little Step - Highly recommended. Much better than the movie version of A Chorus Line (this is a documentary of the Broadway revival).

A Woman in Berlin - Fucking depressing movie, but well made.

Fellini Satyricon - Yes, I decided to experiment with a couple Fellini movies in the queue. This one is only marginally watchable but kind of fun in a freak-show way. Works out ok on DVD because you can just hit fast-forward when it gets overly tedious.

Funny People - Gugh. Don't bother. Tries for that comedy-in-tragedy thing Sandler did much better in Punch-Drunk Love, but this just flops.

Z - Interesting for historical reasons, I guess.

The Plan - For BSG completists only. Didn't tell me anything about the Cylon's moronic "plan" that I didn't already know or at least suspect. But it was cool seeing more about Sam and his merry band of sports team/insurgents on Caprica and the establishing scenes for the various Colonial worlds were fascinating. I'd rather just watch a pre-nuke travelogue of the Colonies.

Night at the Museum 2
- I knew it would be stoopid, and it was, but also fun. If you don't mind humor aimed at eight year olds, check it out.

Last edited by Temis the Vorta; December 21 2009 at 01:24 AM.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2009, 04:47 AM   #321
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Updates:
9 (7)
Angels & Demons (7)
Armored (7)
Bangkok Dangerous (6)
Bleach Movie 3: Fade to Black (7)
Blood: The Last Vampire (2009) (6)
Crank 2: High Voltage (6)
The Day the Earth Stood Still (7)
Dragonball Evolution (5)
Elementors (6)
Ghost in the Shell-Stand Alone Complex: Individual Eleven (8)
GI Joe (7)
Gran Torino (7)
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (6)
Higurashi no Naku Koroni (When the Cicadas Cry) (9)
Ice Age 3: Dawn of the Dinosaurs (7)
The International (6)
Kara no Kyoukai: Mujun Rasen (Garden of Sinners: Paradox Spiral) (10)
Kara no Kyoukai: Boukyaku Rokuon (...: Oblivion Recorder) (8)
Kara no Kyoukai: Satujin Kosatsu II (...: Murder Speculation II) (10)
Knowing (6)
L: Change the World (7)
Laws of Eternity (3)
Lupin the 3rd: The Columbus Files (8)
Lupin the 3rd: Crisis In Tokyo (7)
Lupin the 3rd: Dead or Alive (7)
Lupin the 3rd: Dragon of Doom (6)
Lupin the 3rd:Farewell To Nostradamus (9)
Lupin the 3rd: The Fuma Conspiracy (9)
Lupin the 3rd: Island of Assassins (7)
Lupin the 3rd: The Legend of the Gold of Babylon (5)
Lupin the 3rd: Missed By a Dollar (8)
Lupin the 3rd: The Pursuit of Harimao's Treasure (5)
Lupin the 3rd: The Secret of Twilight Gemini (9)
Lupin the 3rd: Voyage to Danger (8)
Moon (9)
Naruto Shippuden Movie 2: Bonds (5)
Night at the Museum (5)
Ninja Assassin (7)
The Punisher: War Zone (1)
Ponyo (8)
The Seven Swords (5)
The Sky Crawlers (8)
Starship Troopers 3: Marauder (7)
Star Trek (10)
Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun Li (6)
Surrogates (8)
Sword of the Stranger (10)
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: Gurren-hen (Pierce the Heavens Gurren Lagann: Gurren Chapter) (8)
Terminator: Salvation (7)
Tobira o Akete (Opening the Door) (6)
Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen (8)
Twilight (5)
Underworld: Rise of the Lycan (6)
Watchmen (9)
X-Men Origins: Wolverine (8)
Old December 22 2009, 05:53 AM   #322
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

Where the Wild Things Are [C]
The Other Man [C]
Old December 27 2009, 02:29 AM   #323
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Watched Pixar's Cars for the first time the other night. Its the girlfriend's favorite Pixar movie, and a buddy of mine gave up his copy for her last week, as a gift.

Eh...I guess it was alright, but The Incredibles is still my favorite from Pixar.

In semi-related news, I've already got movie passes to three screenings lined up the first couple of weeks of January - Crazy Heart, The Lovely Bones & Extraordinary Measures.
Old December 27 2009, 03:18 AM   #324
S. Gomez
Rear Admiral

I only saw four films in theatres, with one of them being just a matter of days ago. Most of the movies I see are on DVD. The four I saw in theatres were: Frost/Nixon, Star Trek, Up, and Avatar. I thought all of them were worth the big screen, though one by virtue of the visuals alone.

A lot of older films got watched by me this year, especially in the science fiction category. Some were classics that I finally got around to watching: All The King's Men, Sunset Boulevard, Passage To Marseille, Gilda, The Thing From Another World, Captain Blood, Laura, Possessed, The Day The Earth Stood Still, Forbidden Planet, In The Heat of The Night, Rocketship X-M, The Third Man (technically a rewatch, but I hardly remembered a thing from the first time), and The Wizard of Oz. Also in the field of classic movies is the Thin Man franchise with William Powell and Myrna Loy; the last one is waiting for me to pick it up from the library.

I caught up with the Pixar movies I hadn't seen with WALL-E and Cars. Loved them both.

This holiday season also marks the appearance of a Blu-ray player in our house after winning a 42" HDTV in a draw (surprise!) and realizing we couldn't get away with a standard DVD player on the old 32". I have yet to see any movies for the first time on the format, all the ones I've watched have been returning titles: Up, Ratatouille, WALL-E, and The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly.

Although not technically movies, I also feel compelled to include the new Battlestar Galactica TV show, which blew me away as one of the best works of science fiction I've ever seen. In the same camp, I began catching up with the new Doctor Who and Torchwood.
Old December 27 2009, 04:24 AM   #325
od0_ital
Admiral

The Day the Earth Stood Still & In the Heat of the Night are two of my favorite classics!

Good choices to both!

Old December 27 2009, 07:39 AM   #326
od0_ital
Admiral

Just finished watchin' Constantine for the first time, thanks to a DVD a buddy gave me a couple of weeks ago. Not a great movie, but had a couple of interestin' ideas, that's for sure, though I preferred the alternate endin' over the post-credit clip.

Goin' through the girlfriend's DVD library, I popped in Mamma Mia since I haven't seen it before...she has quite a few chick flicks on her shelf.
Old December 27 2009, 11:25 PM   #327
S. Gomez
Rear Admiral

od0_ital wrote: View Post
The Day the Earth Stood Still & In the Heat of the Night are two of my favorite classics!

Good choices to both!

They've become two of my favourites as well! Although personally I would buy Forbidden Planet before The Day The Earth Stood Still. I was more wowed by that one.
Old December 27 2009, 11:30 PM   #328
Kegg
Rear Admiral

S. Gomez wrote: View Post
They've become two of my favourites as well! Although personally I would buy Forbidden Planet before The Day The Earth Stood Still. I was more wowed by that one.
Of course. Forbidden Planet is by far the more spectacular of the two films - it's a pulp cover brought to life. The Day The Earth Stood Still is a far more restrained film, a long stretch of it is indistinguishable from any domestic drama of the era.

Also Sunset Boulevard is for my money Billy Wilder's best film. The Apartment is my runner-up.
Old December 27 2009, 11:43 PM   #329
DarKush
Rear Admiral

I saw 30 films in the theater this year, a record for me. It's strange because outside of Watchmen, Wolverine, Star Trek, Terminator Salvation, and Avatar, there weren't that many event movies for me. To be honest, I can't really say Avatar was a must-see for me. Notorious was more of a must-see than Avatar.

1. Notorious
2. Underworld 3: Rise of the Lycans
3. Push
4. Friday the 13th
5. Madea Goes to Jail
6. Watchmen
7. Obsessed (saw this twice; Beyonce is a vision)
8. X-Men Origins: Wolverine
9. Next Day Air
10. Star Trek (saw this three times): Favorite film of the year
11. Terminator Salvation
12. The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3
13. Public Enemies
14. Orphan (best horror film I've seen in a long time)
15. G.I. Joe
16. District Nine
17. Halloween 2 (big disappointment)
18. Sorority Row (I regretted seeing this one)
19. Surrogates
20. Capitalism: A Love Story
21. I Can Do Bad All By Myself
22. Pandorum
23. The Stepfather
24. Law-Abiding Citizen
25. Ninja Assassin
26. 2012 (Enjoyed this one more than I thought I would)
27. Armored
28. Precious
29. The Princess and the Frog
30. Avatar

Others I saw on video:
Uninvited: Really liked this one
Drag Me to Hell: I thought this one was overrated
Transformers 2: Man, that film blew
Up: Pretty good
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2009, 12:03 AM   #330
od0_ital
Admiral

I can add the original Ocean's 11, with Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin & Sammy Davis Jr, to my list of movies seen for the first time on DVD. I picked up the "Ocean's Collecction" on DVD a couple of weeks ago. Two discs, each with two movies - the original, the remake and the remake's two sequels. I've seen the other three already, but the original was new to me.

I think I like the remake better.