Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old March 24 2010, 06:35 AM   #151
Professor Moriarty
Vice Admiral

View Professor Moriarty's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek: The Doomsday Machine - Special Edition Screencaps

The still was lifted from a now-discarded take where I forgot to turn on motion blur in the camera, which somewhat evens out the jaggies in the phaser particle beams. When animated with motion blur turned on, it still looks like a particle beam, but not quite so flamethrowerey
Old March 25 2010, 11:33 PM   #152
Woulfe
Commodore

Professor Moriarty wrote: View Post
Hi Woulfe!

Ah yes, that shot.

The overall strategy here was to recreate in LightWave the Arriflex 35mm camera that cinematographer Jerry Finnerman used back in 1967. If I could duplicate this camera in LightWave, then all I would have to do is position a simple rectangle at the appropriate spot to act as my "viewscreen", project an image of the asteroids whizzing by onto its surface as an animated surface texture, and then "film" the viewscreen in LIghtWave as the LightWave camera pivoted in perfect synchronization with the 1967 meatspace camera. Then it would just be a simple (but tedious) matter of rotoscoping Bill Shatner in front of the LightWaved viewscreen, and finally, layering my masked viewscreen (with a transparent, animated, Shatner-shaped "hole" in it) on top of the original live action footage. Piece of cake!

Unfortunately, analyzing a scene to find the three-dimensional reference points that recreate the position and movement of a meatspace camera in 3-D cyberspace is tricky stuff. It works pretty good when the real world camera being reconstructed in cyberspace is stationary XYZ-wise and is only pivoting on one of its axes. Unfortunately, Finnerman apparently didn't quite keep the camera locked down while it was pivoting to track William Shatner, which gave my motion tracking software fits. Fortunately, a friend of mine in the UK has a copy of Andersson Technologies SynthEyes, which does an excellent job of dealing with imperfect camera setups like this. You should have seen the keyframe instructions that thing spit out--literally EVERY frame of that short sequence had to be keyframed--there was not one pair of adjoining frames where the camera didn't shake, wobble or otherwise do something other than just smoothly transit along one axis of rotation!
Oy vey, sounds very tedious....

AND YOU GET TO DO IT AGAIN for later in the same episode.

- W -
* However it's nice to know it can be done *
Woulfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2010, 03:13 AM   #153
Professor Moriarty
Vice Admiral

Oh please, the end of Act IV is light-years in the distance
Old March 26 2010, 04:10 AM   #154
AstroSmurf
Vice Admiral

Please don't say that.

But seriously, so far the work has been lush, intricately detailed and beautifully rendered. Every update is a treat. And because of that, it is really hard to be patient and calm with that much anticipation brewing under the surface.

“Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The bad things don’t always spoil the good things and make them unimportant.” ~ The Doctor
AstroSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2010, 05:53 PM   #155
Professor Moriarty
Vice Admiral

Extended Attack Sequence Test -- April Fools' Sneak Peek

(edited to add: now online)

Last edited by Professor Moriarty; April 1 2010 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Posted notice that video is now online
Professor Moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2010, 07:21 PM   #156
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

Wow. I never thought such spectacularly well-conceived and executed phaser fire could ever become ...

Monotonous.

I don't know whether to applaud or laugh.
Old April 1 2010, 07:36 PM   #157
Professor Moriarty
Vice Admiral

Well, I guess that's one vote in the hated it column. Oh well, can't please everyone.
Old April 1 2010, 08:16 PM   #158
Psion
Commodore

I really must learn to express myself better.

The first few seconds, I sat at my workstation cheering, then I dimly realized the music sounded repetitive. Then I was certain. Then I had time to double-check my findings. Then I yawned. Then I got a glass of juice. Then I drank it. Then I went out to cut the grass. Then I came back and made sure the music and phaser fire were still repeating. Then I started laughing.

Seriously, Perfessor ... it was both funny and well done. And it finally proved that even phaser fire must be taken in moderation.

Now erase the check from the "hated" column and put it in the "loved" column where it belongs. Don't worry, you have plenty of time before the Enterprise stops firing its phasers.
Old April 2 2010, 01:29 AM   #159
MadMan1701A
Commodore

I thought the effects were great too, but they did seem a little strange with the music. Is that how it sounded originally? I never noticed that before. It would be totally perfect if maybe the phaser sound changed a little each time it fired, or the durations weren't all the same. The glowing effect with the actual beams was perfect. It looked very powerful, for once.

www.madshipyard.com
MadMan1701A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2010, 02:05 AM   #160
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaiser Send a message via Yahoo to Kaiser

I thought it looked more real than what was seen in TOS-R
Old April 2 2010, 02:51 AM   #161
Professor Moriarty
Vice Admiral

MadMan, it's as close as I've been able to get so far. The original effect was a one-time deal that was not done before or after this episode: a combination of the phaser sound and the photon torpedo sound (which I think was meant to be the "bouncing off" effect of the phasers against the neutronium hull). The sound mix still needs work, but yeah I know what you mean.

(thanks kaiser!)
Old April 2 2010, 05:54 AM   #162
Wingsley
Commodore

If you really want to mix things up and provide some "never before seen footage", you might want to try reducing the number of phaser shots back to what they were originally and try punctuating them with a couple of photon torpedoes that "just bounced off". That way Sulu's reaction would make more sense and you could still bring something new and fresh to the scene. I always wondered why they didn't fire any torpedoes in that ep. This would make it clear why they wouldn't work.

I actually like the way you extended the music and lengthened the scene, even though the phasers don't seem "natural".
Old April 2 2010, 06:36 AM   #163
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

I think it may be a matter of less-is-more. You've got a series of shots of basically the same thing again and again. Once we see the phasers have no effect, seeing them hitting again and again doesn't add anything. You might just want to find the most dramatic shot or two and stick to those.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2010, 07:35 AM   #164
Psion
Commodore

Well, now I'll just apologize to the Professor. In fact, I thought the effect of the phaser barrage was quite spectacular. I simply thought the date, the one-day offering, and the obviously looped music to extend the scene were an effort at deliberately over-doing a good thing.

I'm sorry for laughing like a mad donkey at your honest offering. I've enjoyed your ongoing efforts on this project since it began and have been impressed by your dedication to making the episode the best it could possibly be, and never for a moment meant to insult your achievements or hurt your feelings.

Best of luck on this, Professor -- I'll keep my trap shut on this from now on and observe with silent admiration from the sidelines.
Old April 2 2010, 07:50 AM   #165
Gagarin
Commander

There's a bit of zoomy-zoom-zoom that I'm not used to, (Not as jarring as TOS-R though!). Perhaps slow down the pace by 1 phaser blast, and alternate the pitch of the phaser blasts on the final audio cut.

You've got your work cut out for you!

Sadly, nothing you can do can change:
Spock: Deflectors at full power.
They can't take much more of this. (flat).
*nothing else is happening on screen*
Gagarin is offline   Reply With Quote