Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Old June 17 2009, 12:02 AM   #31
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Re: Klingon Academy: Any Fans?

Those would be the Imperial Hawk on the left (six freakin' nacelles!), and an Imperium on the right, both personal faves.

There actually wasn't a Praetor in KA, but I believe the name has been applied to a version of the TOS BoP before, which is sometimes classified a cruiser and sometimes a destroyer or scout, depending.

But yeah, those games ships were positively inspired.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2009, 12:21 AM   #32
Thor Damar
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Thor Damar

Praetor wrote: View Post
Those would be the Imperial Hawk on the left (six freakin' nacelles!), and an Imperium on the right, both personal faves.

There actually wasn't a Praetor in KA, but I believe the name has been applied to a version of the TOS BoP before, which is sometimes classified a cruiser and sometimes a destroyer or scout, depending.

But yeah, those games ships were positively inspired.
Ah, I was thinking of the first Starfleet Command game. Come to think of it, the Praetor was a Dreadnought not a Battleship (alas I cannot find a screenshot and my copy of the game broke).

The BoF Cardassian ship designs are sweet as

Thor Damar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2009, 12:56 AM   #33
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Ahh... glad to know my namesake gets to be a dreadnought at least in one game. What was this Starfleet Command game?

I was always sad I never had Bridge Commander or Birth of the Federation.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Old June 17 2009, 05:39 PM   #34
Thor Damar
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Thor Damar

Praetor wrote: View Post
Ahh... glad to know my namesake gets to be a dreadnought at least in one game. What was this Starfleet Command game?

I was always sad I never had Bridge Commander or Birth of the Federation.

It was a space sim/tactical game similar to KA. Here's the wiki link:
http:///en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Fleet_Command

Dude, you should get Bof as soon as you can. I've spend many an hour conquering the Milky Way for Cardassia or Romulus. Great times.

Thor Damar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2009, 04:46 AM   #35
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Thanks for that link. I may just have to buy myself a couple of presents when I get my first paycheck from my new job.
Old June 18 2009, 11:25 PM   #36
Kadratis
Fleet Captain

I tried using compatibility mode with Windows 7 RC1, and got it running. The only problem was that the models would flicker with white, so I'm assuming it's a texture render failure. I dug out an old machine and I'm in the progress of getting 98SE installed, but it's taking forever because the drivers are difficult (but not impossible) to find.

As for Starfleet Command, I personally get annoyed with how slow the gameplay is, even with the speed at full.
Kadratis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2009, 11:50 PM   #37
JGordon
Lieutenant Commander

Klingon Academy is my favorite Star Trek game, and definitely in my favorite top 10 games of all time. Though it doesn't give you the "full" Star Trek experience (i.e. like an adventure game might), the space combat was second to none. I played the game regularly from 2000 - 2003, but sadly I've never been able to get it working for more than 10 - 15 minutes at a time since upgrading to XP.

KA was my first foray into modding. I remember Klingonacademy.net (I think) where I downloaded Galaxies, Sovereigns, Borg Cubes, and many others to spice up the 8 on 8 battles. Taking out 8 fed ships against 1 borg cube was always a blast.

My personal favorite ship was the Emperor class Klingon ship, I think it was the equivalent to the Fed's Excelsior. I don't know why, but I felt like that ship had the perfect combo of speed, shielding, and firepower.

All the cutscenes really sold the game, and it really had a very nice Klingon-centric story that -- while different from anything in Trek I'd seen to date -- felt very right within the Trek Universe.
JGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2009, 02:54 PM   #38
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Just for the record, since you guys love KA (as do I) but many of us can't play it, I do say Bridge Commander does a good job of healing the wound. Take a look at the BC Kobayashi Maru modded game. Here are some screenshots from the game that I have taken and resized so they don't stretch the page:

**This is image intensive**

Enterprise E in battle with Galor:

USS Excalibur (me) attacking Dominion Battleship:

USS Excalibur beauty shot as I pass a planet:

Bridge of the Excalibur:

USS Enteprise NCC-1701-A at Warp:

The bridge of the USS Enterprise NCC-1701-A (Red Alert Mode):

This is just the tip of the iceberg. There are a hundred ships to choose from. Federation, Klingon, Romulan, Ferengi, Cardassian, Breen, Borg, the whole works. It's easy to create any battle scene. Wolf 359 is a blast! You can visit Deep Space Nine and interact with the station (hail Kira and see what happens!), warp to over 50+ destinations, including Earth, take the Wormhole into the Gamma Quadrant, it's a whole universe to play in.

EDITED TO ADD 30 SECOND CLIP I JUST MADE:

Bridge Commander Quick Battle Clip

EDITED TO ADD SEVERAL MINUTE CLIP I MADE:

Bridge Commander Battle Clip

J.
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-

Last edited by J. Allen; June 25 2009 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Sorry, I just can't get the video right. Well, I did now.
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2009, 01:45 AM   #39
Kaziarl
Commodore

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Just for the record, since you guys love KA (as do I) but many of us can't play it, I do say Bridge Commander does a good job of healing the wound. Take a look at the BC Kobayashi Maru modded game. Here are some screenshots from the game that I have taken and resized so they don't stretch the page:
Bridge commander is ok, but it doesn't quite give you the same feel. Atleast to me anyway. But then, I had a TopGun flight stick that I used to pilot the ship in KA. To me, that just made it that much more fun.
Old June 26 2009, 06:17 AM   #40
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Thanks for those screenshots, J. I may have to pick up a copy of "Bridge Commander."

I do agree though that KA loses something without a joystick.
Old June 27 2009, 12:00 AM   #41
Darth Corleone
Ensign

I'm a Fan. Now that KA can be played with Windows Vista. Ive been all over the web looking for some of the old ship mods that were made with Lightwave 5.6. The main KA site took a hack and the mod datebade might be lost. So if we want to get the KA comunity going again we need to get a mod database re-built. I'm willing to help. Please reply... DC.
Darth Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2009, 08:56 PM   #42
Praetor
Vice Admiral

I forgot about the ship viewer thingy.
Old July 5 2009, 10:57 PM   #43
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

I have a couple of the ship mods and QB scripts, I do believe. I did find my KA modded stuff, and I'm even running it on XP as of today!

J.
Old July 6 2009, 09:24 PM   #44
Kadratis
Fleet Captain

Just for the record, since you guys love KA (as do I) but many of us can't play it, I do say Bridge Commander does a good job of healing the wound. Take a look at the BC Kobayashi Maru modded game. <snip>

<snip>This is just the tip of the iceberg. There are a hundred ships to choose from. Federation, Klingon, Romulan, Ferengi, Cardassian, Breen, Borg, the whole works. It's easy to create any battle scene. Wolf 359 is a blast! You can visit Deep Space Nine and interact with the station (hail Kira and see what happens!), warp to over 50+ destinations, including Earth, take the Wormhole into the Gamma Quadrant, it's a whole universe to play in.
Even then, it doesn't compare to the feeling of actually being tested as a Klingon with Christopher Plummer going with you for the ride. Not to mention the overall experience.
Kadratis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2009, 09:39 PM   #45
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Kadratis wrote: View Post
Just for the record, since you guys love KA (as do I) but many of us can't play it, I do say Bridge Commander does a good job of healing the wound. Take a look at the BC Kobayashi Maru modded game. <snip>

<snip>This is just the tip of the iceberg. There are a hundred ships to choose from. Federation, Klingon, Romulan, Ferengi, Cardassian, Breen, Borg, the whole works. It's easy to create any battle scene. Wolf 359 is a blast! You can visit Deep Space Nine and interact with the station (hail Kira and see what happens!), warp to over 50+ destinations, including Earth, take the Wormhole into the Gamma Quadrant, it's a whole universe to play in.
Even then, it doesn't compare to the feeling of actually being tested as a Klingon with Christopher Plummer going with you for the ride. Not to mention the overall experience.
Oh, definitely not. There's no comparison to the level of effort they went into with Klingon Academy. I mean, seriously, that whole game is pure awesome. In Quick Battle, though, there are many rewards to reap, and one of them is to be sitting in the Captain's chair (with the KM mod you can get up and walk around the bridge) and order your tactical officer to attack their impulse engines. Your tactical officer replies "aye sir!" as the ship rolls and the screen goes black as a torpedo slams into your ship, and sparks fly all around the bridge while your Chief Engineer calls out "Captain, our shields have been compromised. Another hit and we will be in danger of a warp core breach!" as the ship's interior is stained a blood red from the alert klaxons and the loss of power.

Sweet.

J.