Greenwood Cast In Truth
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

View Poll Results: Chakotay / Seven pairing gets:
Thumbs up! 21 17.80%
Thumbs down! 97 82.20%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old June 13 2009, 09:58 AM   #61
Tachyon
Fleet Captain

Re: Opinions on Chakotay & Seven

xman wrote: View Post
I didn't see it coming and I didn't think too much of it, but because it was well played, I accepted it.
Well played?

Oy. Well, I guess they did try to make best of the scenes, but... oy.
Old June 13 2009, 11:05 AM   #62
NumberSix
Lieutenant

Location: wonderland or neverland, whether i'm with alice or peter

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Have you seen Roman Holiday? Comedy of errors and mistaken identity on the way to true love? Quite possibly the greatest story ever told.
Amen.

I hated Chakotay and Seven. It may sound weird, but I think both of them could have done better. They just didn't... click. And I didn't like Seven's sudden character-change in the last few episodes of Voyager. Maybe if they had been building her wanting-to-explore-her-humanity over more episodes, but to having no interest in a relationship whatsoever to suddenly desperate for one in Human Error, just didn't sell it.
Old June 13 2009, 03:54 PM   #63
andersonh1
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I always thought Janeway and Chakotay were an obvious pairing. Having said that, I didn't mind the Chakotay/Seven of Nine relationship at all. It was set up in "Human Error" that Seven had feelings for Chakotay, or at least thought he had potential. As stated in that story, her experience in Unimatrix Zero had affected her quite a bit, and apparently opened her up to the idea of being in a relationship. So it didn't quite come out of nowhere.
Old June 13 2009, 08:21 PM   #64
freak
Commodore

I for one, had a WTF look on my face as well for C/7. Hell, they didn't like each other in the beginning!!!! I don't blame the actors though-I blame the writers for their stupidity on a quick-fix to a great show. I would have definitely given the audience an imagination that J/C would be together in the end. I'm glad the after finale novels got rid of C/7. That was indeed nausiating to say the least. I liked the Doc with her..but I also liked Harry with her as well.
Old June 14 2009, 03:55 AM   #65
KayArr
Commander

Thumbs up! I actually liked it coming out of the blue a bit. It didn't become a focus of the show, there were enough little hints in the last half of season 7, then it got sprung on us. I am a HUGE fan of the Tom/B'Ellana arc, and one of those was enough. Springing 7/C at the very end was fine by me.
Old June 14 2009, 01:20 PM   #66
AuntKate
Commodore

andersonh1 wrote: View Post
I always thought Janeway and Chakotay were an obvious pairing. Having said that, I didn't mind the Chakotay/Seven of Nine relationship at all. It was set up in "Human Error" that Seven had feelings for Chakotay, or at least thought he had potential. As stated in that story, her experience in Unimatrix Zero had affected her quite a bit, and apparently opened her up to the idea of being in a relationship. So it didn't quite come out of nowhere.
Oh, but it did come out of nowhere.

In "Human Error," the attraction was obviously one-sided. Watch it sometime, differentiating between the two Chakotays, and you'll realize that the First Officer was completely exasperated with Seven. There were times when I'm sure he wishes he'd spaced her. In addition, in the episode "Natural Law" that followed soon after, there is absolutely NO romance between the two of them. None. Seems like there would have been if the romance in "Endgame" was going to happen.

As for the "softening" of Seven after "Unimatrix Zero," I didn't see that, either, at least not consistently. It was early Season Seven when she said farewell to Mezoti and the twins without visible emotional anguish. In fact, when she shed a tear after they beamed out, she quickly pointed out to Icheb that the tear indicated a malfunction. Yes, later in the program, she was more emotional about Icheb's sacrifice, but that was after a near-death experience and an act of compassion by her protoge. Whatever hopes she had for "normalcy" were nicely squashed by "Human Error."

People talk about inconsistent writing for the Captain's character, but, for me, Seven of Nine takes the cake. She can be nearly all-Borg (and all-knowing) when the writers need it and nearly all-human the next week, when the writers need it. They should have had a progressive timeline where she becomes more human and less Borg along the way, including a gradual loss of her "know-it-all" input. Too bad.

The C/7 relationship was obviously a 'throw-in" by the writers to give Seven of Nine a story line. And as for how well it was acted, well, just let me say that I used to cringe all the way through their scenes until I finally realized that I could fast forward without losing one eentsy bit of the plot. The dialogue is sophomoric, at best, the scenes add nothing to the story, and the acting is just . . . ugh.

The C/7 pairing in "Endgame" was a disservice to both characters.
Old June 14 2009, 01:27 PM   #67
Tachyon
Fleet Captain

You hit the nail on the head, AuntKate.
Old June 14 2009, 01:29 PM   #68
NumberSix
Lieutenant

Location: wonderland or neverland, whether i'm with alice or peter

^ I second that.
Old June 14 2009, 03:32 PM   #69
exodus
Fleet Admiral

AuntKate wrote: View Post
Oh, but it did come out of nowhere.

In "Human Error," the attraction was obviously one-sided. Watch it sometime, differentiating between the two Chakotays, and you'll realize that the First Officer was completely exasperated with Seven. There were times when I'm sure he wishes he'd spaced her. In addition, in the episode "Natural Law" that followed soon after, there is absolutely NO romance between the two of them. None. Seems like there would have been if the romance in "Endgame" was going to happen.

As for the "softening" of Seven after "Unimatrix Zero," I didn't see that, either, at least not consistently. It was early Season Seven when she said farewell to Mezoti and the twins without visible emotional anguish. In fact, when she shed a tear after they beamed out, she quickly pointed out to Icheb that the tear indicated a malfunction. Yes, later in the program, she was more emotional about Icheb's sacrifice, but that was after a near-death experience and an act of compassion by her protoge. Whatever hopes she had for "normalcy" were nicely squashed by "Human Error."

People talk about inconsistent writing for the Captain's character, but, for me, Seven of Nine takes the cake. She can be nearly all-Borg (and all-knowing) when the writers need it and nearly all-human the next week, when the writers need it. They should have had a progressive timeline where she becomes more human and less Borg along the way, including a gradual loss of her "know-it-all" input. Too bad.

The C/7 relationship was obviously a 'throw-in" by the writers to give Seven of Nine a story line. And as for how well it was acted, well, just let me say that I used to cringe all the way through their scenes until I finally realized that I could fast forward without losing one eentsy bit of the plot. The dialogue is sophomoric, at best, the scenes add nothing to the story, and the acting is just . . . ugh.

The C/7 pairing in "Endgame" was a disservice to both characters.
Sorry but I disagree with you about Seven. The affects of slavery don't fade way just because you're back with your own people. Seven maybe be human but she will also always be Borg. It the curse/burden she will always have to carry. It's what makes her like Odo, Worf & Spock. She's the outsider amoung her own kind.
Old June 14 2009, 06:58 PM   #70
andersonh1
Lieutenant Junior Grade

In "Human Error," the attraction was obviously one-sided. Watch it sometime, differentiating between the two Chakotays, and you'll realize that the First Officer was completely exasperated with Seven. There were times when I'm sure he wishes he'd spaced her. In addition, in the episode "Natural Law" that followed soon after, there is absolutely NO romance between the two of them. None.
Oh, I don't know. I wasn't interested in my future wife at all when I first met her, but after a few years, things turned on a dime and we started dating. There wasn't really any buildup at all... she decided she'd like to get to know me, and once I figured that out, I thought "why not?", and we started dating. So there's a real life example of a relationship that "came out of nowhere" as it were.

I'd agree that Chakotay didn't get along with Seven and didn't particularly care for her for years, and the reverse was also true. The episode with the Mars explorer in the subspace anomaly is a good example of the two not getting along well. But things can change, and change in a hurry sometimes. Would it have been more dramatically satisfying with some buildup? Sure. I certainly think so. But it didn't have to happen that way to be believable.

If anything, the way the two broke things off in the Homecoming novel was what I found hard to believe. That came out of nowhere.
Old June 14 2009, 07:01 PM   #71
Tachyon
Fleet Captain

I didn't find the break-up in Homecoming beliveable either. Nevertheless, I was most pleased that it happened.
Old June 14 2009, 07:47 PM   #72
Zameaze
Commodore

In "Human Error," the attraction was obviously one-sided. Watch it sometime, differentiating between the two Chakotays, and you'll realize that the First Officer was completely exasperated with Seven. There were times when I'm sure he wishes he'd spaced her. In addition, in the episode "Natural Law" that followed soon after, there is absolutely NO romance between the two of them. None.
Oh, I don't know. I wasn't interested in my future wife at all when I first met her, but after a few years, things turned on a dime and we started dating. There wasn't really any buildup at all... she decided she'd like to get to know me, and once I figured that out, I thought "why not?", and we started dating. So there's a real life example of a relationship that "came out of nowhere" as it were.
But, truth be known, real life usually makes for poor fiction.
Old June 14 2009, 08:09 PM   #73
Newski
Captain

Send a message via AIM to Newski

The only problem I had it was that it ruined the Seven of Nine/Doctor Pairing....

Actually, the REAL problem I had with it was that I couldn't believe it... Chakotay's and Seven barely interacted throughout the course of the series... And even if they had just sprung it, the dialog was so poorly written and performed that I didn't think there was much emotional content there.

I'll blame Jeri Ryan for that... Her performance was really lacking... Sometimes she really hit the mark and surprised me through the course of the show, though very seldom..... And this is where we needed it so that we could suspend out disbelief.
Old June 14 2009, 08:47 PM   #74
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Mach5 wrote: View Post

[BTW, dude are you quoting "Gossip Girl?" ]
Even relying on the awesome resources of a 24th century Starship...the greatest story ever told.
Chuck and Blair? Those two are cheap copies of Kathryn Merteuil and Sebastian Valmont, and don't even get me started on Serena and Dan. These couples got nothing on Pacey & Joey, period!

The only reason I catch an episode of GG now and then is that hot chick Vanessa. Such eye candy...

andersonh1 wrote:
No offense, but things tend to happen differently in real life, then on TV.
I expect certain things out of TV couples, like chemistry, friction, conflict, sexual tension, end eventually - strong mutual feelings. Worf & Jadzia had all this, so did Trip & T'pol, not to mention Tom & B'elanna who had it, and then some! C/7 had none of these things. None that I've seen, at least...
Old June 14 2009, 08:49 PM   #75
Zameaze
Commodore

Newski wrote: View Post
I'll blame Jeri Ryan for that... Her performance was really lacking...
OK, Chicago, this means war!
Closed Thread