Takei Museum Fundraiser In Progress
By: T'Bonz on Mar 25

Star Trek 3 Villain?
By: T'Bonz on Mar 25

Montgomery Comic Book Signing
By: T'Bonz on Mar 24

Mulgrew To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Mar 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

View Poll Results: Chakotay / Seven pairing gets:
Thumbs up! 21 17.80%
Thumbs down! 97 82.20%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old July 11 2009, 05:51 AM   #496
Saquist
Commodore

Re: Opinions on Chakotay & Seven

wow....
that was wrong.
Old July 11 2009, 06:34 AM   #497
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Never tried to open a front door with a chisel have you?

Everyone needs a universal tool.

I wonder what sort of permission Christie needed to "breakup" the happy couple? was there a nod, or was it such a non point that no one even considered it worth the red tape? On the other side of the spectrum, I'm guessing that there must have been some serious lawyer screaming while Killing the Captain, but could some writer just decide with as little regard or equanimity to say break up Tom and B'Elanna?

What is sacred?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Old July 11 2009, 05:50 PM   #498
exodus
Fleet Admiral

AuntKate wrote: View Post
KimC, I forgot about that, but you're right. They did get different "tools" when they were assimilated. In fact, when I think about it, some drones had different arm attachments, eye pieces, etc.
Then wouldn't this follow the saying: If everyone is special, then nobody is?

I think the question we might be overlooking is: What was Seven's function in a unimatrix of Nine? For example: if B'elanna was given a vocal processor but Janeway & Tuvok weren't then it might serve a function when combined with Janeway & Tuvok's functions. Drones functioning collectively within the Collective. So in that case, what if Seven's perpressor isn't just to surpress "her" emotions but when combined within her unimatrix of nine, it works collectively to surpress all of them. Another example is: for every say 5 unimatrix', there is one medical drone to attend to them.

This would explain why the EMH didn't know it. The drone he studied was responsible for that function within his unimatrix. It would further explain the Doctor's comment in "Dark Frontier" about finding a Borg medical arm as a rare thing.

Last edited by exodus; July 11 2009 at 06:05 PM.
Old July 11 2009, 06:59 PM   #499
Brit
Captain

exodus wrote: View Post
Then wouldn't this follow the saying: If everyone is special, then nobody is?
When talking about the Borg the term would be specialized, not special. A tertiary (third) adjunct wouldn't be very high in the hierarchy of the unimatrix itself, but we are talking about the Queen's inner circle. Marikah "Survival Instinct" would actually have the higher ranking as Three of Nine Auxiliary Processor.

This again is interesting because Marikah, possibly the first Bajoran assimilated is also in the Queen's inner circle. It's also interesting that Magnus Hansen is apparently in the Queen's inner circle too. Incidentally the other two drones from “Survival Instinct” would be Two of Nine Primary Adjunct and Four of Nine Secondary Adjunct of Unimatrix Zero One. The Queen by the way would probably be something like One of Nine, Primary Processor of Unimatrix Zero One.

Now each drone would have a function, but Seven would also have a secondary function, that of worthy successor, and she would be available should the Borg have need of a new queen. That being said, it is also probable that there would be one or two more worthy successors.

Brit

Old July 11 2009, 07:40 PM   #500
teya
Vice Admiral

kimc wrote: View Post
teya wrote: View Post
Why would the Borg install special technology in one drone?

I'm sorry, but that makes no sense at all.
Well according to the Queen Seven was "special" and left on the ship intentionally by the borg. Perhaps the dampener was there so that Seven would be easier to re-assimilate.

Except that the dampener is part of the cortical node.

Seven doesn't have the same cortical node she came aboard the ship with.
Old July 11 2009, 08:21 PM   #501
Brit
Captain

Except that the Cordial Node is technology that is generated in the drone’s body not placed there. It is a product of the original programming. In that case the node no matter where it come from, would adapt to the original programming. If Seven needed a emotion dampener for whatever reason, Icheb’s node whether it had one in the first place would generate one. The Borg are known to recycle parts so anything would have to revert to the drone’s intended programming.

I think that the case can be made that Icheb didn’t have a emotional dampener when one considers the episode “Child’s Play.” Would Icheb even be able to offer Seven his cordial node facing the possibly of his own death if he had had one in the first place? Or would his system simply shut down as we saw Seven’s in “Human Error?”

Brit

Old July 11 2009, 08:37 PM   #502
teya
Vice Admiral

Brit wrote: View Post

Except that the Cordial Node is technology that is generated in the drone’s body not placed there.
That's an interesting theory.

However there are no "cordial" Borg. They don't have "cordial nodes," they have "cortical nodes."

It refers to the cerebral cortex. I'd just hate to see you put so much work into this story and turn off readers with a simple mistake.
Old July 11 2009, 08:58 PM   #503
AuntKate
Commodore

It might be that such an emotional dampener is one of the last steps of the assimilation process, and Icheb wasn't completely "finished" being assimilated. That was why he could donate the cortical node in the first place. When it was placed in Seven's "head," it would conform to her programming.
Old July 11 2009, 08:59 PM   #504
Brit
Captain

LOL Thanks Teya, it's not a secret that I can't spell and am dependent on spell check. I do however have a beta that spells like a spelling champion, so the mistake wouldn't have made it to the end product.

One other thought before I have to go run Saturday errands, if Seven didn't have an emotional dampener before she got Icheb's cortical node, she probably would have noticed the difference. In fact she may have begun a frantic search for something to heighten her perceptions and it would have happened quickly.

If you think of Seven as a protoqueen, then the next question would be why Seven's original cortical node malfunctioned in the first place. Was there a flaw in the programming, or did the Borg need a "kill switch" for those that failed their test of loyalty?

Brit

Old July 11 2009, 10:41 PM   #505
kimc
Coffee Mod

Brit wrote: View Post
One other thought before I have to go run Saturday errands, if Seven didn't have an emotional dampener before she got Icheb's cortical node, she probably would have noticed the difference. In fact she may have begun a frantic search for something to heighten her perceptions and it would have happened quickly.
That's why it makes sense to me that she had one all the time, however it happened.

Old July 12 2009, 11:44 PM   #506
Saquist
Commodore

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Never tried to open a front door with a chisel have you?

Everyone needs a universal tool.

I wonder what sort of permission Christie needed to "breakup" the happy couple? was there a nod, or was it such a non point that no one even considered it worth the red tape? On the other side of the spectrum, I'm guessing that there must have been some serious lawyer screaming while Killing the Captain, but could some writer just decide with as little regard or equanimity to say break up Tom and B'Elanna?

What is sacred?

they whole thing was just a ridiculous attempt by the producers to attach seven to...anybody....and explore sexuality.
Old July 13 2009, 12:05 AM   #507
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

No, they wanted to give the illusion of exploring her sexuality with out actually having to follow through, like when you tell your kids that YES you will play monopoly with them because you love them and want to spend time with them, 5 minutes before they have to brush their teeth for bedtime.

They knew the limits of their mandate. Titillate with out any follow through. Follow through is bad.

I wanted to explore the sexuality of all the characters, see what they had to offer, then screw with the status quo and wait for explosions and bed hopping and... I have been watching altogether too much One tree Hill.

Old July 13 2009, 12:45 AM   #508
AuntKate
Commodore

^^You're right about them not wanting to explore this facet of Voyager's predicament. I was heartbroken to hear that they replaced Chakotay with Jaffen as Janeway's love interest in "Work Force." I wanted to see how the two of them coped with the repercussions of their involvement once their memories were restored. Oh, well. To continue the mantra--that's what fanfic is for!
Old July 13 2009, 01:26 AM   #509
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

You'd have to think that all turbolifts come with emergency doors and rope ladders, and maybe an airgrate made out of tinfoil on one side after the first few thousand stirring bonding campouts after the lifts go down.

Old July 13 2009, 06:21 PM   #510
kimc
Coffee Mod

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
You'd have to think that all turbolifts come with emergency doors and rope ladders, and maybe an airgrate made out of tinfoil on one side after the first few thousand stirring bonding campouts after the lifts go down.
The turbolift fanfic - a classic!

Closed Thread