RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,663
Posts: 5,429,058
Members: 24,815
Currently online: 447
Newest member: AlphaZero


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

View Poll Results: Which would you have preferred?
Star Trek: Phase II 19 61.29%
TOS Movies 12 38.71%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 11 2009, 02:21 PM   #1
Admiral Pike
Lieutenant
 
Location: Wherever you go, there you are
Phase II or the TOS movies?

Which would you have preferred to go into production?
Admiral Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2009, 07:40 PM   #2
plynch
Commodore
 
plynch's Avatar
 
Location: Outer Graceland
View plynch's Twitter Profile
Re: Phase II or the TOS movies?

Star Trek is and was a format for storytelling on tv.. And too many of the movies have been the not-too-compelling-anymore story, "Defeat the Bad Guy."
plynch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2009, 07:45 PM   #3
TigerOfDarkness
Fleet Captain
 
TigerOfDarkness's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Re: Phase II or the TOS movies?

I would have liked to see Xon and Illia and some of the planned episodes. Judging from the script in the Phase II book, the Phase II version of The Child would have been a lot better than the TNG one.
__________________
If we don't get off this planet we'll all die here.
TigerOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2009, 07:46 PM   #4
RobertScorpio
Pariah
 
Location: San Diego
Re: Phase II or the TOS movies?

plynch wrote: View Post
Star Trek is and was a format for storytelling on tv.. And too many of the movies have been the not-too-compelling-anymore story, "Defeat the Bad Guy."
yes...Season Three of TOS and Seasons 1-2 of TNG, some of Voyager and most if not all of Enterprise demonstrate just how good TV TREK can really be...

TOS movies were good, and in Khan's case, GREAT. PHASE TWO, based on what photos I have seen, would have come out about as silly as BUCK ROGERS did. Some of the so called 'script treatments' would have made THE NAKED NOW look like Citizen kane. Not doing Phase two, with GR running it, was what saved TREK; IMO


Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2009, 07:48 PM   #5
RobertScorpio
Pariah
 
Location: San Diego
Re: Phase II or the TOS movies?

TigerOfDarkness wrote: View Post
I would have liked to see Xon and Illia and some of the planned episodes. Judging from the script in the Phase II book, the Phase II version of The Child would have been a lot better than the TNG one.
That is pure speculation on your part. I think you're wrong.

Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2009, 07:54 PM   #6
TigerOfDarkness
Fleet Captain
 
TigerOfDarkness's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Re: Phase II or the TOS movies?

RobertScorpio wrote: View Post
TigerOfDarkness wrote: View Post
I would have liked to see Xon and Illia and some of the planned episodes. Judging from the script in the Phase II book, the Phase II version of The Child would have been a lot better than the TNG one.
That is pure speculation on your part. I think you're wrong.

Rob
Well, it's my opinion, formed by reading the script and comparing it with the filmed version.


RobertScorpio wrote: View Post
plynch wrote: View Post
Star Trek is and was a format for storytelling on tv.. And too many of the movies have been the not-too-compelling-anymore story, "Defeat the Bad Guy."
yes...Season Three of TOS and Seasons 1-2 of TNG, some of Voyager and most if not all of Enterprise demonstrate just how good TV TREK can really be...

TOS movies were good, and in Khan's case, GREAT. PHASE TWO, based on what photos I have seen, would have come out about as silly as BUCK ROGERS did. Some of the so called 'script treatments' would have made THE NAKED NOW look like Citizen kane. Not doing Phase two, with GR running it, was what saved TREK; IMO

Rob
That's pure speculation on your part, I disagree.
__________________
If we don't get off this planet we'll all die here.
TigerOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2009, 07:57 PM   #7
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Phase II or the TOS movies?

Most of the scripts in development for "Phase II" were pretty bad.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2009, 07:59 PM   #8
RobertScorpio
Pariah
 
Location: San Diego
Re: Phase II or the TOS movies?

TigerOfDarkness wrote: View Post
RobertScorpio wrote: View Post
TigerOfDarkness wrote: View Post
I would have liked to see Xon and Illia and some of the planned episodes. Judging from the script in the Phase II book, the Phase II version of The Child would have been a lot better than the TNG one.
That is pure speculation on your part. I think you're wrong.

Rob
Well, it's my opinion, formed by reading the script and comparing it with the filmed version.


RobertScorpio wrote: View Post
plynch wrote: View Post
Star Trek is and was a format for storytelling on tv.. And too many of the movies have been the not-too-compelling-anymore story, "Defeat the Bad Guy."
yes...Season Three of TOS and Seasons 1-2 of TNG, some of Voyager and most if not all of Enterprise demonstrate just how good TV TREK can really be...

TOS movies were good, and in Khan's case, GREAT. PHASE TWO, based on what photos I have seen, would have come out about as silly as BUCK ROGERS did. Some of the so called 'script treatments' would have made THE NAKED NOW look like Citizen kane. Not doing Phase two, with GR running it, was what saved TREK; IMO

Rob
That's pure speculation on your part, I disagree.
I have read that script to. And knowing what I know about TV? That would not have been the final shooting script. The pictures that are in my PHASE TWO book are all the proof I need; that show would have blew chunks. It would have been very much like season 1 of TNG. TNG, despite what some people believe, was just PHASE TWO updated. Either version would have suffered because of who was running them; Gene Roddenberry. And back in 1975, or whatever, Roddenberry would have been younger and would have been given more time to make it work; but he was already the problem.

Harve Benette, Nick Meyer, pretty much saved TREK. The principle actors, Shatner - Nimoy, seem to agree. And TNG was heading down the path of oblivion until Roddenberry gave up control to Berman.

Had there been no 'evil' Harve, then there would not have been the success of VOYAGE HOME which gave TNG birth.

Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2009, 08:00 PM   #9
TigerOfDarkness
Fleet Captain
 
TigerOfDarkness's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Re: Phase II or the TOS movies?

Agreed, Dennis some of them were awful (Tomorrow and the Stars) springs to mind, but some of them could have been good. Like all seasons of Trek, there's good and bad.
__________________
If we don't get off this planet we'll all die here.
TigerOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2009, 08:08 PM   #10
TigerOfDarkness
Fleet Captain
 
TigerOfDarkness's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Re: Phase II or the TOS movies?

RobertScorpio wrote: View Post
I have read that script to. And knowing what I know about TV? That would not have been the final shooting script. The pictures that are in my PHASE TWO book are all the proof I need; that show would have blew chunks. It would have been very much like season 1 of TNG. TNG, despite what some people believe, was just PHASE TWO updated. Either version would have suffered because of who was running them; Gene Roddenberry. And back in 1975, or whatever, Roddenberry would have been younger and would have been given more time to make it work; but he was already the problem.

Harve Benette, Nick Meyer, pretty much saved TREK. The principle actors, Shatner - Nimoy, seem to agree. And TNG was heading down the path of oblivion until Roddenberry gave up control to Berman.

Had there been no 'evil' Harve, then there would not have been the success of VOYAGE HOME which gave TNG birth.

Rob
I would agree that Harve Bennet et al saved Trek from TMP (which I also know was born from Phase II). However, as you point out, the stuff in the Phase II book would not have been the final shooting scripts. Who knows how they would have developed.

What about the Phase II pictures suggests to you that the show would blow chunks?
__________________
If we don't get off this planet we'll all die here.
TigerOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2009, 08:34 PM   #11
Piper
Fleet Captain
 
Piper's Avatar
 
Re: Phase II or the TOS movies?

The TOS movies, and I'd say the same if we only had got TMP and Khan. I don't know but I sense that Phase II wouldn't have lasted very long...
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2009, 08:43 PM   #12
RobertScorpio
Pariah
 
Location: San Diego
Phase Two; NO WAY

Every once in a while I pick up the PHASE TWO book that has the cool photos, and great behind the scenes stuff, and the script treatments for the episodes, and the more I read? The more I am glad they didn’t do Phase-Two.

Phase-Two came AFTER All in The Family. For all this talk about how TOS changed the landscape for TV, All in The Family makes Trek’s changes look like candy-store filler. Now, with all that said, I read the story treatments for Phase Two. With all due respect, with very few the exceptions, the stories were not that good. And some of them (Kirk Pearl Harbor story) were outright rip-offs. More importantly? They were far from the cutting edge stories of TOS. Some of the stories would have fit right in with BSG's fluffy stuff, or even worse, BUCK ROGERS,

But, and here is where I will lose most of you, the underlying problem with PHASE TWO would have been Roddenberry. And you can see the proof of this when he took most of his ideas, for PHASE-TWO and brought them to TNG and..well…season 1 of TNG makes TOS’s season-three look like a masterpiece. Roddenberry’s problem was that, IMO, TV had passed his way of telling stories by. It isn’t until (GASP) Berman comes along, and with him Moore-Piller ect, does TNG really start to work. The less control Roddenberry had of TNG (and the TOS movies I might add) the better they got.

PHASE TWO might have worked, I guess, had someone else ran the show; but under Roddenberry, it wouldn’t have lasted past one season (IMO) and STAR TREK would have faded away; for good.

That’s my take on PHASE TWO. It died, got reincarnated as TNG, and flourished, for the most part, the further Roddenberry got away from it. Roddenberry was a man, IMO, who was trapped in the past.

Rob
Scorpio
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2009, 09:05 PM   #13
chardman
Vice Admiral
 
chardman's Avatar
 
Location: The home of GenCon
View chardman's Twitter Profile
Re: Phase Two; NO WAY

I'm pretty sure the writer's guide for "Phase Two", supposedly written by Roddenberry, specifically references shows like "All in the Family", "Hill Street Blues" and "M*A*S*H" as shows very much worthy of emulation. He championed the new, more naturalistic style of television, with its ongoing character development, ensemble casts, and the like. Roddenberry had many failings, but not keeping up with modern television storytelling wasn't one of them. In that regard, he was well ahead of the curve. TNG's early reliance on the older style of formulaic storytelling falls firmly at the feet of play-it-safe executives, who tended to cling to older, tried-and-true methods. And who was TNG's official studio bean-counter? Berman. Whose primary job was to keep Gene on a short leash. (Which wasn't necessarily a bad idea.)

That TNG seemed to improve once Gene was no longer at the helm, and Berman held the reins? Well Berman was holding his own leash at that point, and people rarely feel compelled to impose the same strictures on themselves as they do on others. They aren't usually all that distrusting of their own motives. Don't think their own ideas are at all harebrained. Simply put: When Rick was in charge, he gave himself a lot more freedom than he'd ever given Roddenberry. He stopped actively trying to limit production efforts, and finally began to facilitate them.
__________________
If Ronald Reagan hadn't cut Mental Health funding to the bone, most of today's GOP & Tea Party candidates wouldn't be walking around loose.
chardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2009, 09:48 PM   #14
QuasarVM
Fleet Captain
 
QuasarVM's Avatar
 
Re: Phase Two; NO WAY

RobertScorpio wrote: View Post
Every once in a while I pick up the PHASE TWO book that has the cool photos, and great behind the scenes stuff, and the script treatments for the episodes, and the more I read? The more I am glad they didn’t do Phase-Two.

Phase-Two came AFTER All in The Family. For all this talk about how TOS changed the landscape for TV, All in The Family makes Trek’s changes look like candy-store filler. Now, with all that said, I read the story treatments for Phase Two. With all due respect, with very few the exceptions, the stories were not that good. And some of them (Kirk Pearl Harbor story) were outright rip-offs. More importantly? They were far from the cutting edge stories of TOS. Some of the stories would have fit right in with BSG's fluffy stuff, or even worse, BUCK ROGERS,

But, and here is where I will lose most of you, the underlying problem with PHASE TWO would have been Roddenberry. And you can see the proof of this when he took most of his ideas, for PHASE-TWO and brought them to TNG and..well…season 1 of TNG makes TOS’s season-three look like a masterpiece. Roddenberry’s problem was that, IMO, TV had passed his way of telling stories by. It isn’t until (GASP) Berman comes along, and with him Moore-Piller ect, does TNG really start to work. The less control Roddenberry had of TNG (and the TOS movies I might add) the better they got.

PHASE TWO might have worked, I guess, had someone else ran the show; but under Roddenberry, it wouldn’t have lasted past one season (IMO) and STAR TREK would have faded away; for good.

That’s my take on PHASE TWO. It died, got reincarnated as TNG, and flourished, for the most part, the further Roddenberry got away from it. Roddenberry was a man, IMO, who was trapped in the past.

Rob
Scorpio
Very few series find their "legs" the first season...sometimes not until the third season. So, I think it's unfair to judge what Phase II could have been by a few story outlines and a couple of scripts.

I think -- like TNG -- it would have picked up during the third year. I base this on my observations of many other series.
QuasarVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2009, 09:53 PM   #15
Misfit Toy
Caped Trek Mod
 
Misfit Toy's Avatar
 
Location: Transporter buffer
Re: Phase Two; NO WAY

Since there's already a Phase Two thread, I'm merging the two...
__________________
Woof.
Misfit Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
movies, phase ii, star trek

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.