Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old June 12 2009, 06:08 PM   #31
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Re: Abrams and Cruise Reuniting for Mission: Impossible 4

Paramount parted ways with Cruise after Mission: Impossible III, with Sumner Redstone publicly trashing him (this was at the height of Cruise's bad PR after the Oprah appearance, something which was thought to have damaged the box office of Mission: Impossible III, especially domestically). But Cruise and Redstone have since made amends, including dining together in public.
Old June 12 2009, 06:13 PM   #32
Aragorn
Admiral

The Badger wrote: View Post
Oh yes. That guy in the first film, played by Jon Voight? Not Jim Phelps. When the CIA absorbed the IMF Phelps retired. The CIA, realising the value of his reputation, passed off one of their own people as Phelps. Over the course of years he got lost in the false identity, and ended up going loopy, before dying when his helicopter crashed in the Channel Tunnel.

Tragic.

At least, that's my version of events, and I'm sticking to it.
I thought they could've made Cruise Phelps and Voight could've been... Briggs? Then Ving Rhames could've been Barney.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2009, 07:44 PM   #33
The Badger
Fleet Captain

Aragorn wrote: View Post

I thought they could've made Cruise Phelps and Voight could've been... Briggs? Then Ving Rhames could've been Barney.
A remake, with a new cast playing the original characters? Well it's worked for another 60's tv show...

So, Cruise as Phelps, replacing Voight as Dan Briggs. Ving Rhames in the movies was a black electronics expert, so he was Barney in all but name. Someone muscular as Willy. How about The Rock?

So now all you need is an attractive woman, and a disguise expert. Zachary Quinto as Paris?
The Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2009, 07:48 PM   #34
Aragorn
Admiral

The Billy Baird character in Mission: Impossible 2 could've been Willy. He wasn't muscular, but he had the right accent.

Since these movies like to have a shorthand titles for their posters and cover art, does that mean for MI5 and MI6 they have to set the action in the UK?
Old June 12 2009, 10:52 PM   #35
Occupy TNZ
I Can't Afford A Lobbyist

The Mission Impossible film franchise took a stale, weak and poorly put together television show and with the charisma and good looks of Tom Cruise made it in to a bankable, successful and highly entertaining series of blockbusters that you'd be hard pressed not to love on every single level.

I, for one, am thankful that we are able to see Tom Cruise's brilliant portrayal of Ethan Hunt be continued, in what will no doubt be an action packed yet heartfelt and intelligent 4th installment. That JJ Abrams is attached to this project bodes well for the appreciative purists of MI like myself, as his work in Star Trek was nothing short of phenomonal and he surely is one of the more keen minds in show business (showbiz to the layman) today.

I can only tingle with unbridled excitment thinking about what Tom Cruise will be up to in this new plot, how great his hair will look and how much ass he will kick. People just don't get that the smartest thing they could have done is make it all about Tom Cruise and have his team of nobodies just there as tactical and, when necessary, emotional support. Like that's ever necessary considering how hard as fuck Ethan Hunt is though.

Everyone else is just a hater.

Long live Tom Cruise and long live the Mission Impossible movie franchise.
Old June 13 2009, 07:31 AM   #36
Thrall
Commodore

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
I will never forgive the MI films for what they did to

They'll say it was a guy in a mask and the real Jim has been held captive for 14 years.
It's why the original actor refused to play the role in the movie.
Old June 13 2009, 09:46 AM   #37
Jar Jar Binks
Admiral

I enjoyed all three movies, and I'm looking forward to seeing where Abrams takes the next one.
Jar Jar Binks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2009, 12:04 PM   #38
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

He was a great man. But that was in another life...

Oddly enough, I was in my car the other day when Limp Bizkit's "Take A Look Around" from M:I 2 came over the radio and I was wondering if maybe the Mission: Impossible movies had run their course...
Old June 13 2009, 12:40 PM   #39
Jax
Admiral

Until after the 2nd movie I didn't even know there was a TV show so I never had that to think about. The 1st one had a solid story but felt slow and poorly paced at times but it was a good movie still. The 2nd movie was full of action and I love such things but at the same time I can respect those who prefer a nice story over all of that.

MI:3 had the ebst elements of both 1 & 2 and I think the reviews backed that up so The 4th one could be amazing but hopefully Tom Cruise will sop being an idiot this time because MI-3 could of made a lot more $$$ if he wasn't such a crazy twit. TBH I feel Ethan's story is over and Paramount should of let J.J do the whole retool/reboot thing again and have a new character with a big name actor...

I would say Mat Damon but thats typecasting Who do you think could lead a MI Film ?
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2009, 12:52 PM   #40
Jar Jar Binks
Admiral

Chris Pine!

Oh, wait...
Jar Jar Binks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2009, 06:19 PM   #41
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

I liked the first one, hated the second and was apathetic about the third. I liked the old show quite a bit and these movies just seem to be routine action films that just don't do much for me barring the first one.
Old June 13 2009, 06:47 PM   #42
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

I've never seen the TV series. As for the movies, I liked the first and third ones. The second one was the longest and most boring sunglasses commercial I've ever seen.
Old June 13 2009, 06:53 PM   #43
Aragorn
Admiral

^ You've obviously never watched all seven seasons (and counting) of CSI: Miami.
Old June 15 2009, 02:51 PM   #44
Caligula
Vice Admiral

Thrall wrote: View Post
Samurai8472 wrote: View Post

They'll say it was a guy in a mask and the real Jim has been held captive for 14 years.
It's why the original actor refused to play the role in the movie.
Not to mention other original cast members opting out of cameo roles that would have only seen them killed off at the beginning of the movie. Both were wise decisions, IMO.
Caligula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2009, 03:01 PM   #45
The Haunting
Admiral

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
I've never seen the TV series. As for the movies, I liked the first and third ones. The second one was the longest and most boring sunglasses commercial I've ever seen.
Yes, although you have to give perverse respect to how vain Cruise is that he has to play the bad guy for half of his screen time!

"It should be torn down and the ground sown with salt..."
The Haunting is offline   Reply With Quote