RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,164
Posts: 5,402,958
Members: 24,753
Currently online: 391
Newest member: kev404

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Time’s Orphan
By: Michelle on Aug 30

September-October Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Lee Passes
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Trek Big Bang Figures
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 4 2009, 09:30 PM   #1
Elemental
Rear Admiral
 
Elemental's Avatar
 
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
View Elemental's Twitter Profile
The Experience - reopening?

I heard a while back that the experience was leaving the hilton and would reopen at the neonopolis. i'm in vegas now and want to check it out but it now looks like it may not be around until 2010. can anyone confirm this as i'm not certain? i can't even find a phone number for neonopolis that works and the hilton doesnt know anything. any help would be greatly appreciated!
Elemental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2009, 09:42 PM   #2
SJSharksfan39
Admiral
 
SJSharksfan39's Avatar
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA
View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile
Re: The Experience - reopening?

Elemental wrote: View Post
I heard a while back that the experience was leaving the hilton and would reopen at the neonopolis. i'm in vegas now and want to check it out but it now looks like it may not be around until 2010. can anyone confirm this as i'm not certain? i can't even find a phone number for neonopolis that works and the hilton doesnt know anything. any help would be greatly appreciated!
I've been hearing 2010 at the Neonpolis mall too, mainly from the Bartender who worked at Quarks at the last experience so it's a pretty reliable source.
SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2009, 08:10 AM   #3
Biggshow
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Corona, CA
Re: The Experience - reopening?

See this thread for more info:

http://trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=73384
__________________
Be careful out there.
Biggshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2009, 05:08 PM   #4
barnaclelapse
Commodore
 
barnaclelapse's Avatar
 
Location: Waverly, VA.
Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse
Re: The Experience - reopening?

Actually, what they're going to do is stick you in a giant metal can, give you a ton of LSD and then set the can on fire and swing it around with a crane.
barnaclelapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2009, 11:34 PM   #5
dave_R_treker
Captain
 
dave_R_treker's Avatar
 
Location: Upstate New York
Re: The Experience - reopening?

barnaclelapse wrote: View Post
Actually, what they're going to do is stick you in a giant metal can, give you a ton of LSD and then set the can on fire and swing it around with a crane.
Hey now that sounds like fun.
dave_R_treker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2009, 12:43 PM   #6
sathya
Guest
 
Re: The Experience - reopening?

I used to work at the Experience back in 2000-2001, a few years before they added the BORG 3-D part. I was also there opening day and the day it closed.
They were being run by Paramount Parks back then, and In my year and a half there, I saw prices go from $10 a person to $25. Shortly after I left, it went up to $40. Attendance would DECREASE every time prices increased.
I think Cedar Fare are the guys that own it now (at least a few years before it closed) and if they move it to Neonopolis here in Vegas, and lower prices, they may have a shot at making something profitable. But I doubt it. It was hard enough to run the place, though it did have a good 10 year run the first time.
I don’t honestly think it would work again. It relies on tourism, and the economy sucks right now. Plus, I don’t think trekkies can make it to vegas on a regular enough basis to keep it running. Certianly the trekkies that live here weren’t enough in the past.
<adbot links removed>But who knows. I think it’d be better as an ADDITION to an existing theme park than it’s own thing. Maybe like back in the day when Universal Studios had The Star Trek Adventure. Something like that. Otherwise, I don’t think it would last long if they redesigned it and reopened it here in Vegas.

Last edited by Misfit Toy; June 7 2009 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Adbot
  Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2009, 05:08 PM   #7
barnaclelapse
Commodore
 
barnaclelapse's Avatar
 
Location: Waverly, VA.
Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse
Re: The Experience - reopening?

dave_R_treker wrote: View Post
barnaclelapse wrote: View Post
Actually, what they're going to do is stick you in a giant metal can, give you a ton of LSD and then set the can on fire and swing it around with a crane.
Hey now that sounds like fun.
Doesn't it?

And for an extra five hundred, a guy who looks vaguely similar to William Shatner will hit you in the stomach with a baseball bat at the end.
barnaclelapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2009, 10:41 AM   #8
Biggshow
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Corona, CA
Re: The Experience - reopening?

sathya wrote: View Post
I used to work at the Experience back in 2000-2001, a few years before they added the BORG 3-D part. I was also there opening day and the day it closed.
They were being run by Paramount Parks back then, and In my year and a half there, I saw prices go from $10 a person to $25. Shortly after I left, it went up to $40. Attendance would DECREASE every time prices increased.
I think Cedar Fare are the guys that own it now (at least a few years before it closed) and if they move it to Neonopolis here in Vegas, and lower prices, they may have a shot at making something profitable. But I doubt it. It was hard enough to run the place, though it did have a good 10 year run the first time.
I donít honestly think it would work again. It relies on tourism, and the economy sucks right now. Plus, I donít think trekkies can make it to vegas on a regular enough basis to keep it running. Certianly the trekkies that live here werenít enough in the past.
<adbot links removed>But who knows. I think itíd be better as an ADDITION to an existing theme park than itís own thing. Maybe like back in the day when Universal Studios had The Star Trek Adventure. Something like that. Otherwise, I donít think it would last long if they redesigned it and reopened it here in Vegas.
Cedar Faire no longer has anything to do with STTE. The new owner, Rohit Joshi, and CBS are apparently seeing how they can fit a new STTE into the existing structure at Neonopolis. Reading between the lines, it seems like CBS, at least, has learned from mistakes made in the past and are willing to keep ticket prices low. The current difficulty seems to be that Mr. Joshi promises a lot but delivers little. And the investment climate sucks. We are just going to have to wait and see.
__________________
Be careful out there.
Biggshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2009, 10:09 PM   #9
azebelys
Lieutenant
 
azebelys's Avatar
 
Location: Manchester UK
Re: The Experience - reopening?

i'd be surprised if there was a new experience anywhere in the next 18 months, and even more surprised if it gets done in neonopolis. the place has less living people at it than a grave yard!
__________________
we are Borg

Star Trek: The Experience Facebook Group
http://www.new.facebook.com/home.php...2220135&ref=mf
azebelys is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
experience, st:te, stte

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.