Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 11 2009, 08:36 PM   #46
Jeri
Vice Admiral

Re: Why did Kirk tell Gaila "That's weird"?

I don't think so. It doesn't look like embarrassment of any sort; just a misunderstanding.
Old June 11 2009, 08:46 PM   #47
Cakes488
Commodore

View Cakes488's Twitter Profile

Jeri wrote: View Post
When Gaila calls for the lights and asks if Kirk doesn't love her, too, Kirk sits back and says, "No, I meant..." -- correcting her, as though he was meaning something else completely. Then Uhura interrupts them.

He's not talking about what she said.
We need the DVD dammit! When october right? I've never preordered a DVD...but I just may have to in this situation...then we can all argue all over again...isn't that going to be great!!!!
Cakes488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2009, 08:49 PM   #48
Jeri
Vice Admiral

November, I think. Someone said the 17th, but there's no official word that I know of. It's going to be a long few months.

There was something going on behind that scene, though; because Kirk found out how to reprogram the Kobayashi Maru from something he gleaned from Gaila.

So I think he's thinking about the test; not about her.
Old June 11 2009, 09:06 PM   #49
Cakes488
Commodore

View Cakes488's Twitter Profile

Yeah that's right...there is a lot that's left on the cutting room floor! I'm sure the DVD will reveal what the "that's weird" statement is referring too....So shall we make a date right now to argue this point on November 18th ..say around noon? You'll take the pro-point and of course I'll take the con....muuuuahhh. LOL
Cakes488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2009, 09:37 PM   #50
Jeri
Vice Admiral

I thought you had the pro, too.
Old June 11 2009, 09:40 PM   #51
trampledamage
Clone

When Gaila calls for the lights and asks if Kirk doesn't love her, too, Kirk sits back and says, "No, I meant..." -- correcting her, as though he was meaning something else completely. Then Uhura interrupts them.

I've only watched it once, but is there any chance what he's actually reacting to is Uhura returning?

I don't know how big cadet quarters are, but could he have heard someone moving around when he's not expecting it? The Kirk version of spider-sense, I suppose.

And he says that like it's a bad thing...
trampledamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2009, 09:41 PM   #52
Jeri
Vice Admiral

I think it's what I said just above. He's thinking about getting information from Gaila about the Kobayashi Maru test...
Old June 11 2009, 09:51 PM   #53
trampledamage
Clone

I think it's what I said just above. He's thinking about getting information from Gaila about the Kobayashi Maru test...
Cool. so do you think that means there are more Kirk/Gaila scenes out there to be added to the DVD? Because if they never filmed any of it, then that line wouldn't be there.

And he says that like it's a bad thing...
trampledamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2009, 11:41 PM   #54
Jeri
Vice Admiral

I hope so. It's in the book that he got the information from Gaila for the test the night before while intimate; maybe they filmed some of it. Like you said the other day, an extended version like LOTR would be great. It would be weird in itself to respond with "That is so weird," to what Gaila said. I think he was mulling over the test situation.
Old June 12 2009, 01:07 AM   #55
Captain Fine
Fleet Captain

View Captain Fine's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Captain Fine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Fine Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Fine

I wouldn't say it's impossible Jeri, but improbable based on what we did see in the movie. I believe he was caught off-guard, but I'm open to the idea that it was more than that. Would be really nice to see her again the sequel. In fact, I'd hope that Kirk wasn't so inexperienced with women that he'd say something so clearly awkward.
Captain Fine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2009, 02:10 AM   #56
rbnn
Lieutenant

I hope so. It's in the book that he got the information from Gaila for the test the night before while intimate.
This information can also be inferred from his comment to McCoy that he was "studying" for the Kobayashi Maru, just prior to his scene with Gaila.

The inference to be made is that his relationship with Gaila encompassed the studying he referenced when he spoke with McCoy - otherwise there would have been no particular point to his comment (and Kirk doesn't make pointless comments).
rbnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2009, 02:12 AM   #57
rbnn
Lieutenant

trampledamage wrote: View Post

I've only watched it once, but is there any chance what he's actually reacting to is Uhura returning?
No, because he was surprised to see Uhura. It is not impossible that Uhura made a noise prior to entering the room, a noise to which Kirk was reacting, but it's an implausible explanation because we don't hear it.
rbnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2009, 04:18 AM   #58
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

charliehorse43 wrote: View Post
The Badger wrote: View Post
A little off topic, but do we know for certain that Gaila was an Orion? Yes, she's got green skin, but there are a lot of pink skinned lifeforms out there. It's possible that Orions are not the only green skinned species.
The novel says she is an Orion.
She was also listed on the credits list only as "Orion cadet" almost from the time Rachel Nichols' casting was announced; the name "Gaila" didn't appear until around the time the movie went into general release, iinm.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2009, 04:20 AM   #59
Jeri
Vice Admiral

rbnn wrote: View Post
I hope so. It's in the book that he got the information from Gaila for the test the night before while intimate.
This information can also be inferred from his comment to McCoy that he was "studying" for the Kobayashi Maru, just prior to his scene with Gaila.

The inference to be made is that his relationship with Gaila encompassed the studying he referenced when he spoke with McCoy - otherwise there would have been no particular point to his comment (and Kirk doesn't make pointless comments).
Yes, indeed; thank you for the reminder.
Old June 12 2009, 10:30 AM   #60
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

rbnn wrote: View Post

And you remember Bones saying "Study my ass.." because he knows Kirk is about to bed some woman.

It doesn't matter if he tries to gain information from Gaila about the test or not.. i'm still on the position that he was kind of "ambushed" by the love line because he (at least in my opinion) isn't in love with her and wanted at best some fun.
However he's decent enough not to outright lie to her face to either get her to sleep with him (only minutes away judging from the scene) or get the info he needs so he stalls for time to think of a proper answer.

Isn't it interesting how the males respond to the scene and how the women here respond?
An amateur psychologist would have a field day with this thread.
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote