Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old June 8 2009, 09:27 PM   #1
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard): $29

Greatest news I've heard all day! Linky
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2009, 09:39 PM   #2
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent
Re: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard): $29

Can you run it on a PC?

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2009, 09:40 PM   #3
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

^ No.

But Windows can be run on Intel Macs.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old June 8 2009, 09:41 PM   #4
Chess Piece Face
Commodore

Brent wrote: View Post
Can you run it on a PC?
Sure. You can run other versions of Mac OS on "hackintoshes" so I don't see why not, eventually, when someone cracks it or whatever.
Chess Piece Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2009, 04:29 AM   #5
Garrovick

The current OSX runs on a 300 dollar Aspire Netbook.

I'm sure any new version can be "hackintoshed" also.

http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/v...ed9b7bb9b62b03
Old June 9 2009, 04:36 AM   #6
J. Allen
Dancing on Rainbows

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
Greatest news I've heard all day! Linky
Awesome!

J.
"Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured." - Mark Twain
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2009, 04:43 AM   #7
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

It seems that most of the changes this time around are 'under the hood' performance improvements. (The Finder, for one thing.) There may be a few interface tweaks, like in QuickTime, but most of the real changes are things that we can't see. Perhaps that's even better. This one is definitely not just more eye candy.
Old June 9 2009, 07:10 AM   #8
MacWin
Lieutenant Commander

It seems that most of the changes this time around are 'under the hood' performance improvements. (The Finder, for one thing.) There may be a few interface tweaks, like in QuickTime, but most of the real changes are things that we can't see. Perhaps that's even better. This one is definitely not just more eye candy.
That's pretty much the point. Snow Leopard has always been intended as more of "under the hood" increase performance and stability release as opposed to "lets add a shit ton more of useless features while the rest of the OS sucks" release.
MacWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2009, 07:13 AM   #9
J. Allen
Dancing on Rainbows

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

MacWin wrote: View Post
That's pretty much the point. Snow Leopard has always been intended as more of "under the hood" increase performance and stability release as opposed to "lets add a shit ton more of useless features while the rest of the OS sucks" release.
So far, I've loved Mac OS X Leopard. I haven't seen any real issues with it. Then again, it's my first Mac OS. I'm used to Windows systems.

J.
"Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured." - Mark Twain
Old June 9 2009, 11:16 PM   #10
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

Note that this $29 upgrade price is apparently for existing Leopard users. FWIW.

Then again, who isn't using Leopard now anyway? Snow Leopard will require a modern Mac to run - a Mac which either *shipped* with Leopard or has already been installed with it. As for Tiger, well, if anyone's still using that, then they obviously don't care about Leopard *or* Snow Leopard, so I don't see how they can complain...

In any case, people who are still using Tiger do have an option: Buy the box set which includes Snow Leopard and iLife. In fact I (as a Leopard user) might do that anyway, since the iLife set will no doubt include 64-bit versions of most of the apps.

Last edited by Mr. Laser Beam; June 9 2009 at 11:33 PM.
Old June 9 2009, 11:37 PM   #11
J. Allen
Dancing on Rainbows

Note that this $29 upgrade price is apparently for existing Leopard users. FWIW.

Then again, who isn't using Leopard now anyway? Snow Leopard will require a modern Mac to run - a Mac which either *shipped* with Leopard or has already been installed with it. As for Tiger, well, if anyone's still using that, then they obviously don't care about Leopard *or* Snow Leopard, so I don't see how they can complain...

In any case, people who are still using Tiger do have an option: Buy the box set which includes Snow Leopard and iLife. In fact I (as a Leopard user) might do that anyway, since the iLife set will no doubt include 64-bit versions of most of the apps.
Yep, I'm using Leopard right now. It came with my iMac, although my iMac originally shipped with Tiger, when I purchased it from a Mac Reseller, they installed Leopard on it as a thank you. That was cool.

J.
Old June 10 2009, 01:21 AM   #12
Candlelight
Admiral

If they'd remember to put a feckin' express port on their macbook pros I'd be happier about this.

I don't even own SD cards!
Old June 10 2009, 01:32 AM   #13
J. Allen
Dancing on Rainbows

Candlelight wrote: View Post
If they'd remember to put a feckin' express port on their macbook pros I'd be happier about this.

I don't even own SD cards!
It would be very easy to do.

J.
Old June 10 2009, 02:34 AM   #14
Galactic Alignment
Commander

My Mac is quite old, one of the first Intel-equipped iMacs from 2006. Would that be recent enough to run Snow Leopard, as far as is currently known?
Galactic Alignment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2009, 02:55 AM   #15
MacWin
Lieutenant Commander

Alignment X wrote: View Post
My Mac is quite old, one of the first Intel-equipped iMacs from 2006. Would that be recent enough to run Snow Leopard, as far as is currently known?
Snow Leopard will run on any Intel Mac.

General requirements

Mac computer with an Intel processor
1GB of memory
5GB of free disk space
DVD drive for installation
Some features require a compatible Internet service provider; fees may apply.
Some features require Apple’s MobileMe service; fees and terms apply.
MacWin is offline   Reply With Quote