RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,693
Members: 24,829
Currently online: 545
Newest member: 713brianp27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old June 12 2009, 12:01 AM   #46
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Re: Beer IS better than water

K'ehleyr wrote: View Post
Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Look, I love beer. Beer was the foundation that western civilization was built on (I'm not making that up, it was a major reason for grain production and it purified water so it was safe to consume)...
Is this why Westerners are supposed to have a greater ingrained (yes the pun was intentional) tolerance for alcohol because they purified water by making into beer whereas in Eastern culture they boiled water to make tea?
I don't have a theory for Sake though
That's part of the theory, yeah. The theory suggests that most of those who couldn't handle alcohol in the west died out because they drank impure water (assuming at one time, tolerance in the east and west were equal). Therefore, most westerners these days have a tolerance for alcohol.

They do have alcohol in the east (sake is a good example), but I just chalk that up to everyone loving to get drunk. There are nomads in Mongolia who make alcohol out of milk, so people like to get drunk even when it seems like a terrible idea.
Old June 12 2009, 12:03 AM   #47
Kirk's_Tights
Fleet Captain

This made me cry happy tears that taste like beer.
Old June 12 2009, 12:06 AM   #48
K'Ehleyr
Commodore

^ It's seldom a terrible idea at the time ~ the next morning however is another matter
Old June 12 2009, 01:02 AM   #49
Goliath
Vice Admiral

That's part of the theory, yeah. The theory suggests that most of those who couldn't handle alcohol in the west died out because they drank impure water (assuming at one time, tolerance in the east and west were equal). Therefore, most westerners these days have a tolerance for alcohol.
If that's true, then that's natural selection in action.

God bless my European ancestors for being too stupid and ignorant to boil their water.

They do have alcohol in the east (sake is a good example), but I just chalk that up to everyone loving to get drunk. There are nomads in Mongolia who make alcohol out of milk, so people like to get drunk even when it seems like a terrible idea.
If Asian people were smart enough to drink tea instead of beer, then that would provide a possible evolutionary explanation for alcohol flush reaction, to which so many Asian people are susceptible.

For some competing evolutionary explanations, see here.
Old June 12 2009, 01:33 AM   #50
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Camelopard wrote: View Post
If that's true, then that's natural selection in action.
Well, it's an idea perpetuated by biological anthropologists, so they would be using the theory of evolution as a basis for their theory.

God bless my European ancestors for being too stupid and ignorant to boil their water.
Amen to that