TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 21 2009, 07:47 AM   #466
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: Smallville Summer Hiatus Discussion Thread

That and Chloe got them in. Peri White probably helped Clark. Actually Lionell probably helped Clark since he was totally gay for the traveller. When did Lex/Mercy stop being editor in chief? Did that help or Hinder?

Nepitism and the school tie.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2009, 05:42 PM   #467
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

Although that's just getting to be wrong anyway... I mean in the comics, Clark went to and finished journalism school, traveled the world and then became Superman. Here its like "finish high school, drop out of college, play house with high school sweetheart, become superman."

This really had better be the season that gets things back on track. With NO Luthors around... he should finally start doing something. Although I think having Doomsday last season was way too freakin' early.
Old September 21 2009, 09:10 PM   #468
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

There is no path.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2009, 01:17 AM   #469
MeanJoePhaser
Admiral

I only saw the season finale last Friday, the Doomsday arc suffered from them focusing on Davis Bloom (am I alone in finding Sam Witwer annoying?) instead of Clark fighting a big monster guy. And the Lana and fake Lex detour was irritating, but was probably necessary as the Doomsday saga wasn't enough for 22 episodes (or even the episodes it had).

And the hilarious finale, where Green Arrow was right and Clark's moralizing got Jimmy killed and left a buried monster waiting to escape and reek havoc again.

As much as Chloe does for Clark, he could at least let her *censored*. Come on, man, get that blue kryptonite if you are worried about your *censored* killing her.
MeanJoePhaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2009, 01:26 AM   #470
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I was ready to drop the series after the conclusion of last season and the whole nonesense with Clark "Killing" himself and embracing his Kryptonian side again (I wonder if the new showrunners remember the whole Kal-El storyline from a few seasons ago...this has already been done. Jonathon was there to pull him back to his humanity though. Lois seems to be the one to do it this time). The short Doomsday fight was disappointing but as a number of posters were want to point out afterwards this is because the main fight between Doomsday and Superman has yet to happen. I'm inclined to accept that the spot underneath the plant is the place where Doomsday emerges later on in the future. Jimmy being killed and revealed as the younger brother of the real Jimmy Olsen was a lame escape device to explain the use of Jimmy in the first place.

The last couple of seasons has forced me to recover a full summer after these sheninagins. The casting of Metallo and Zod have me happy. The Justice Society coming onboard has me pleased, especially so since Geoff Johns is writing it. The Wonder Twins intrigues me. The possibily of a score being released sometime next year (the composer is looking into it..you can follow him on Twiiter) is inticing. A full season without Lana is awesome. So we'll see how things go this year.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2009, 01:39 AM   #471
Procutus
Admiral

MeanJoePhaser wrote: View Post

As much as Chloe does for Clark, he could at least let her *censored*. Come on, man, get that blue kryptonite if you are worried about your *censored* killing her.

Clark is a complete douchebag when it comes to the Chlovage and all she's done for him and on his behalf, ever since learning his secret. He may claim she's his best friend, but what he's really saying is 'Door-Mat'.

I want to see the Chlovage kick some ass as Watchtower this year, helping Ollie and the other guys.
Old September 22 2009, 01:55 AM   #472
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Procutus I like your avatar. Where is that pic from? I also should mention that I won't be around on Friday (figures) since I'm attending a friends birthday party and will have to tape Savior. Looking forward to it.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2009, 02:08 AM   #473
Procutus
Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post

Procutus I like your avatar. Where is that pic from?

Thanks Admiral, you're the first reaction I've gotten. It's a still taken from her independent movie 'You', which was pretty horrible, but the scenes with Ally were good. I think I got the picture from Kryptonsite several months back.

Sorry to hear you won't be onhand for the live commentary. I plan to be here, but lately, my plans haven't quite worked out, so we'll see. Hope that you post after having a chance to watch it.

Old September 22 2009, 02:18 AM   #474
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

I still can't believe Allison Mack will voice Power Girl in the Superman/Batman Public Enemies DC animated dvd
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2009, 02:40 AM   #475
Procutus
Admiral

^

Definitely looking forward to checking that out!

Old September 22 2009, 02:44 AM   #476
Bad Bishop
Rear Admiral

I was ready to drop the series after the conclusion of last season and the whole nonesense with Clark "Killing" himself and embracing his Kryptonian side again (I wonder if the new showrunners remember the whole Kal-El storyline from a few seasons ago...this has already been done. Jonathon was there to pull him back to his humanity though. Lois seems to be the one to do it this time). The short Doomsday fight was disappointing but as a number of posters were want to point out afterwards this is because the main fight between Doomsday and Superman has yet to happen.
Why should another clash with Doomsday happen at all in the Smallville universe?

Let's face it--we just cannot reconcile all events in Smallville with those in the films and comic books. It's pointless to try. The show's deviations from comic book tradition are just too numerous to count. The most fundamental difference? In Smallville there is no superhero with the name "Superman" who disguises himself as Clark Kent.

Then there's the existence of Chloe Sullivan. In "Legion," the three Legionnaires were puzzled because they never heard of Chloe before they arrived from the future. I thought this was a really interesting way of tackling the Chloe issue head-on. "Legion" offers us two choices--either there are multiple universes (including some where Chloe does not exist), or Chloe is not destined to be remembered in a thousand years. Take your pick.

I'm inclined to accept that the spot underneath the plant is the place where Doomsday emerges later on in the future. Jimmy being killed and revealed as the younger brother of the real Jimmy Olsen was a lame escape device to explain the use of Jimmy in the first place.
It is simpler if we just accept that Jimmy Olsen died. Let's not assign his role to some other person.

Last edited by Bad Bishop; September 22 2009 at 03:27 AM.
Bad Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2009, 03:05 AM   #477
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

I was ready to drop the series after the conclusion of last season ...
Don't you threaten to do that at the end of every season?
Old September 22 2009, 03:28 AM   #478
nx1701g
Admiral

Bad Bishop wrote: View Post
Then there's the existence of Chloe Sullivan. In "Legion," the three Legionnaires were puzzled because they never heard of Chloe before they arrived from the future. I thought this was a really interesting way of tackling the Chloe issue head-on. "Legion" offers us two choices--either there are multiple universes (including some where Chloe does not exist), or Chloe is not destined to be remembered in a thousand years. Take your pick.
It was explained in the episode why Chloe wasn't remembered. She was killed because she was housing BrianIAC's katra.
Old September 22 2009, 04:11 AM   #479
Rowan Sjet
Commodore

^ That's just another reason to be annoyed by Doomsday since it's a total retcon. The Legion told Clark that the Phantom Zone crystal would have extracted Brainiac without killing the host (Chloe). It was in their history books. Yet Rokk is now saying she was always supposed to die because of Brainiac.

On top of all that, it's a dumb reason for her not being known.

Why should another clash with Doomsday happen at all in the Smallville universe?
I do think it's a little cool. Then again, if we're not gonna see it ourselves, what's the point?

It is simpler if we just accept that Jimmy Olsen died. Let's not assign his role to some other person.
I can get on board with that.
Old September 22 2009, 04:17 AM   #480
Bad Bishop
Rear Admiral

nx1701g wrote: View Post
Bad Bishop wrote: View Post
It was explained in the episode why Chloe wasn't remembered. She was killed because she was housing BrianIAC's katra.
I wasn't satisfied with that explanation. The Legionnaires were familiar with minutiae from Clark's life (like the baseball, for example). And yet they somehow didn't know about Clark's best female friend--whether she was alive or dead during Clark's early superhero career? I think there may be a deeper mystery at work here, and it involves multiple universes.