Smallwood: Creating The Xindi
By: T'Bonz on May 21

Greenwood Joins O.J. Simpson Series
By: T'Bonz on May 21

The USS Enterprise Building
By: T'Bonz on May 20

Wheaton Guests On Mission Log Podcast
By: T'Bonz on May 20

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old July 14 2009, 03:08 PM   #76
Keith1701
Rear Admiral

Re: I like Tasha Yar.

J. Allen wrote: View Post
I've been watching Season One of Star Trek: TNG, and at first I wasn't much on Yar being Chief of Security, in fact the first couple of episodes were just cringe worthy all the way around, but by the time "Heart of Glory" rolls around, I'm really rooting for her and hate what is going to happen to her. I kind of wonder what Tasha would have been like should she have lived and stayed on the Enterprise. Thoughts?

J.
I think it would have been a nice touch for sure......
Keith1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2009, 11:39 PM   #77
Nightdiamond
Fleet Captain

I liked Tasha's character too, from the start, and "got" her. She made a believable security officer and character in charge of security.

In some episodes, they take a little time to explore her role as a security chief and officer.

One example, in "Heart of Glory" the bridge is tracking the renegade Klingons and after finding them, Tasha asks Captain Picard if she should remain at her station or lead the security team herself to arrest them.

Then later you can see how she leads her security team, arrests them, and how she handles it.

Same thing for the Arsenal of Freedom. In the big goodbye we even got to see her sit in the chair, even though it's barely a second. In a way, it was nice to see.

On her personal side, I noticed the feeling she had with being security chief and balancing her femininity with being tough.

She did this in Hide and Q (when she got so frustrated she started crying, then felt embarrased) and in the Naked Now where she goes into Troi's quarters and talks about her clothes and how Troi seems to stays feminine.

She had no problem talking about her homeworld and how she grew up.

So like the others I wonder too how far her character would go throughout 7 seasons, would have been interesting.
Nightdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2009, 07:46 PM   #78
jessicaX
Cadet

worf has to be head of security guys
jessicaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2009, 02:21 PM   #79
Saxman1
Commodore

Tasha is one of my kids favorite characters "because she is tough and looking for a fight!" They are 8 (boy) and 11 (girl). They also love Worf for the same reasons. In fact, they really like seasons 1-2 of TNG the most because "everything is so WEIRD!" But at heart, they are bigger TOS fans and fans of those characters. They (as did my wife and myself) LOVED the new film, "Star Trek" (2009).

Crosby was good in "Yesterday's Enterprise." Other than that, I wasn't impressed with her or her character, but no one was that well written in season 1 of TNG, although I do get a lot of goofy enjoyment from a lot of those eps.
Saxman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2009, 10:07 PM   #80
Anika Hanson
Captain

Yea it was a shame she went so early because I liked her character and I think it could have been developed. However her death allowed Worf to come more to the forefront.
Old July 18 2009, 12:19 AM   #81
J. Allen
Dance Machine

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Right now I'm watching "Yesterday's Enterprise" and really regretting that she's gone.

J.

Like My Little Pony? Join us at Brony Kingdom!

-= St. John of Trenton, Patron Saint of Cute Ponies =-
Bestowed upon me by Pondwater
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2009, 12:31 AM   #82
Red Ranger
Admiral

I think had Tasha lived, she would have wound up on Deep Space Nine instead of Worf! -- RR

"I would make this war as severe as possible, and show no symptoms of tiring till the South begs for mercy." -- William Tecumseh Sherman
Red Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2009, 01:48 PM   #83
JohanKoch
Lieutenant

Not a big fan of the character or the actress I'm afraid. I do like what they originally tried to do with the character (tough young woman from difficult background becomes promising officer in Starfleet) but they never went anywhere with that. As several people mentioned, she just faded into the background. I never missed her after her death.

As for Worf, I don't think Dorn was necessarily a better actor, but because his character was an alien, they were willing to push his storyline a little. Things like Worf killing Duras, for example. You would not have seen that with one of the human characters. I think Worf's growth had more to do with the fact that he was a Klingon than getting rid of Tasha (though that certainly helped).

A major, major weakness of TNG was its female characters. Troi and Crusher were never terribly interesting to me, way too similar, and often had weak episodes when they were the focus (with a few exceptions, such as Face of the Enemy). One reason so many people were excited when Ro showed up was that she was a breath of fresh air in a crew that needed a little excitement.
JohanKoch is offline   Reply With Quote