The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old May 31 2009, 01:14 AM   #1
TedShatner10
Commodore

The Sontaran Home Planet.

How do you envision the Sontaran’s home world, nay, home solar system? If Steven Moffat would eventually depict the Sontaran’s world in a story, I hope he does it justice. From what I’ve seen and heard of the Sontaran race, their home planet should be completely given over to cloning plants, factories, and military barracks. All the mountains, forest, plains, and oceans have been entirely paved over by the Sontaran cityscape with perhaps even the planet’s core hollowed out. The Sontaran superstructures housing them are monolithic, featureless, identikit, and packed tightly together across almost the entire planet’s surface save for the polar icecaps. The Sontaran world’s atmosphere is a dense, faintly green fog, with faint sunlight shining through during the day time.

All of the moons and solid planets in the Sontaran’s solar system have also been heavily urbanized to a similar extent. The asteroid belts have been swept up and the gas giants boiled away to feed the Sontaran Empire’s hungry war machine centuries ago. The Sontaran planets and moons are enclosed by dense webs of shipyards, space stations, and defence platforms closely resembling the Borg Collective’s space bound “capital” known as the Unicomplex. The Sontaran Empire is supposed to be this great space civilization completely mobilized for total war for many thousands of years and they’re not the type to let resources go to waste if they’re throwing everything they’ve got against the Rutans.

What do you think of my ideas?
TedShatner10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2009, 04:10 AM   #2
AdmiralGarak
Rear Admiral

Re: The Sontaran Home Planet.

A scorched wasteland, following millenia of Rutan attacks. Just like the Rutan's own homeworld after millenia of Sontaran attacks.
AdmiralGarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2009, 05:38 AM   #3
The
Rear Admiral

View The's Twitter Profile

TedShatner10 wrote: View Post
How do you envision the Sontaran’s home world, nay, home solar system? If Steven Moffat would eventually depict the Sontaran’s world in a story, I hope he does it justice. From what I’ve seen and heard of the Sontaran race, their home planet should be completely given over to cloning plants, factories, and military barracks. All the mountains, forest, plains, and oceans have been entirely paved over by the Sontaran cityscape with perhaps even the planet’s core hollowed out. The Sontaran superstructures housing them are monolithic, featureless, identikit, and packed tightly together across almost the entire planet’s surface save for the polar icecaps. The Sontaran world’s atmosphere is a dense, faintly green fog, with faint sunlight shining through during the day time.

All of the moons and solid planets in the Sontaran’s solar system have also been heavily urbanized to a similar extent. The asteroid belts have been swept up and the gas giants boiled away to feed the Sontaran Empire’s hungry war machine centuries ago. The Sontaran planets and moons are enclosed by dense webs of shipyards, space stations, and defence platforms closely resembling the Borg Collective’s space bound “capital” known as the Unicomplex. The Sontaran Empire is supposed to be this great space civilization completely mobilized for total war for many thousands of years and they’re not the type to let resources go to waste if they’re throwing everything they’ve got against the Rutans.

What do you think of my ideas?
I freakin' LOVE IT, man! You totally captured my imagination with your description. Well done, I would love to see this!
The is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2009, 12:07 PM   #4
The Badger
Fleet Captain

^Yeah, what The said!

Some good ideas, and some great descriptive prose.
The Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2009, 04:10 PM   #5
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

We see the Sontaran homeworld from space in the comic The Betrothal of Sontar. I think it's been depicted elsewhere, but I'm not sure.
Old June 2 2009, 09:33 PM   #6
matthunter
Vice Admiral

Well, in the novels the original Sontaran homeworld had been leveled by the Rutans.
If you're frustrated with a smug, arrogant right-wing nutjob poster who never backs up their arguments and twists out of answering straight questions, try the Ignore feature! Now with raspberry filling.
matthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2009, 10:19 PM   #7
The Haunting
Admiral

On a related topic, has anything ever been said about how the Sontarans came into being? I mean being a clone race the cloning had to start from somewhere? Are they clones of the original Sontaran race, who used to breed normally, or a race bred by some other race (now extinct I'm guessing) to fight the Rutans?

I'd love to see a full on Sontaran/Rutan battle in Who someday. Ok so the Rutan we have seen was a ball of snot, but they are shapeshifters which I imagine must make them damn good ina fight!

"It should be torn down and the ground sown with salt..."
The Haunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2009, 11:56 AM   #8
matthunter
Vice Admiral

Starkers wrote: View Post
On a related topic, has anything ever been said about how the Sontarans came into being? I mean being a clone race the cloning had to start from somewhere? Are they clones of the original Sontaran race, who used to breed normally, or a race bred by some other race (now extinct I'm guessing) to fight the Rutans?
Pureblood Sontarans were mentioned in the novels. The Rutans reproduce by binary fission (like amoebae) so cloning must have seemed the only viable option to keep up in the numbers game.
If you're frustrated with a smug, arrogant right-wing nutjob poster who never backs up their arguments and twists out of answering straight questions, try the Ignore feature! Now with raspberry filling.
matthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2009, 12:14 PM   #9
The Haunting
Admiral

Interesting...thanks!

"It should be torn down and the ground sown with salt..."
The Haunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2009, 03:27 PM   #10
Lonemagpie
Writer

matthunter wrote: View Post
Starkers wrote: View Post
Pureblood Sontarans were mentioned in the novels. The Rutans reproduce by binary fission (like amoebae) so cloning must have seemed the only viable option to keep up in the numbers game.
That's pretty much what I had it as when I used them.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2009, 03:35 PM   #11
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

TedShatner10 wrote: View Post
How do you envision the Sontaran’s home world, nay, home solar system?
Idaho. It's a planet-sized Idaho.
Old June 4 2009, 04:28 PM   #12
The
Rear Admiral

View The's Twitter Profile

That one took me a moment. Just a moment, though.

I think it would be interesting to see pure-bloods, but have them stand something like seven & a half feet tall! As you dilute a certain genetic line of Sontaran, the clones get shorter and shorter with each generation. That's why you go from Styre in the Time Warrior back during Pertwee's era, to Christopher Ryan's smaller size byTennant's run. If nothing else, it would give a clone race a little variety of character...
The is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2009, 04:10 AM   #13
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

The wrote: View Post
That one took me a moment. Just a moment, though.

I think it would be interesting to see pure-bloods, but have them stand something like seven & a half feet tall! As you dilute a certain genetic line of Sontaran, the clones get shorter and shorter with each generation. That's why you go from Styre in the Time Warrior back during Pertwee's era, to Christopher Ryan's smaller size byTennant's run. If nothing else, it would give a clone race a little variety of character...
A Sontaran with short man syndrome? Gods preserve us

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2009, 02:28 AM   #14
TedShatner10
Commodore

Sontarans having cousins who remain uncloned and breed naturally is a great idea. They'll have their own seperate culture and much more genetic diversity (but should still be stout and robust in body frame).
TedShatner10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2009, 11:17 AM   #15
The Badger
Fleet Captain

The wrote: View Post

Well Styre and Linx were both pretty short, indeed Pertwee described Sontarans as being like Hobbe's description of the life of man "nasty, brutish and short".

It was only with 'The Two Doctors' that we saw tall Sontarans. We can speculate that perhaps different types of clone have been developed for different tasks. Certainly, despite numerous claims, the Sontarans as portrayed on TV have not always been identical.
The Badger is offline   Reply With Quote